New member saying "Hi!"

shorediver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I'm starting my first marine tank build - it'll be an all in one in a 40 breeder size tank (36x18wx16d) in which I want to grow LPS and softies and keep some of the usual suspect fish and invertebrates. During my research I kept finding info here so thought this'd be the place to join!

I've kept freshwater fish for years and enjoy them a lot, but all I've ever really wanted was a reef tank. This is a thing I've had in my mind since childhood and finally I have the space and the spousal approval, and some funds to keep it maintained (startup costs are pretty eye-watering though). I recently did my first Carribean reef dive and that's finally pushed me over the edge - I want to share some impression of that incredible world with my kids.

I'm keeping this simple - planning on live rock and sand to handle filtration, backed up by water changes, and we'll see how that goes. I don't have the space for a sump. I'll keep the bio load fairly light and I don't plan on adding any fish until things are very stable and I have some starter corals showing a bit of growth. I'm not sure if I'm patient as much as extremely cautious. I really don't want to be responsible for the death of something that I've basically taken prisoner, so slowly does it.

Where I am right now: I have the tank, I have a shopping list and a startup plan, and some stuff on its way.

Anyway thanks for the great resource here and looking forward to contributing myself.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome home, you will love it here!

Keep us posted with your build with lots of photos! :)

Many here may disagree with me, but I am always a fan of "less is more". Other than a stringent quarantine protocol, I try to set everything up as simple as possible and opt not to keep things that require automation or more testing/dosing/involvement.

Bruce17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I'm starting my first marine tank build - it'll be an all in one in a 40 breeder size tank (36x18wx16d) in which I want to grow LPS and softies and keep some of the usual suspect fish and invertebrates. During my research I kept finding info here so thought this'd be the place to join!

I've kept freshwater fish for years and enjoy them a lot, but all I've ever really wanted was a reef tank. This is a thing I've had in my mind since childhood and finally I have the space and the spousal approval, and some funds to keep it maintained (startup costs are pretty eye-watering though). I recently did my first Carribean reef dive and that's finally pushed me over the edge - I want to share some impression of that incredible world with my kids.

I'm keeping this simple - planning on live rock and sand to handle filtration, backed up by water changes, and we'll see how that goes. I don't have the space for a sump. I'll keep the bio load fairly light and I don't plan on adding any fish until things are very stable and I have some starter corals showing a bit of growth. I'm not sure if I'm patient as much as extremely cautious. I really don't want to be responsible for the death of something that I've basically taken prisoner, so slowly does it.

Where I am right now: I have the tank, I have a shopping list and a startup plan, and some stuff on its way.

Anyway thanks for the great resource here and looking forward to contributing myself.
Welcome to R2R

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F8DAE5D4-88E5-44E3-AA04-25D5F76FEFBA.gif

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 32.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back