New Nitrifying Bacteria Experiment.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW - the algae on the rock is 'minimal' there is really no 'green algae' to speak of.
You’ll understand now my frustration wend I was doing the test and most were pointing that was the non existent algae that was affecting my readings :)

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That is a very nice yellow! It’s rare to actually see that!
I have tested the ammonia test multiple times (before starting) - so that I would get an idea of a consistent way to do it. The tank the rock came from had 0 ammonia (that yellow color as well) - as Did RODI and Tap water. So - IDK - perhaps some of the so-called 'false readings' are actually - true readings - that are not causing a problem because of the pH of the tank. Will see if I continue to have consistent results. (Though I don't show pictures of each test - each one is done in duplicate)

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You’ll understand now my frustration wend I was doing the test and most were pointing that was the non existent algae that was affecting my readings :)
Well - whether algae - or whatever - I would think it has to be something photosynthetic.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well - whether algae - or whatever - I would think it has to be something photosynthetic.
Once you finish the main experience I would dare you to turn the lights off :)

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Once you finish the main experience I would dare you to turn the lights off :)
I actually debated how to do that. For now the plan is 'confirming 2 ppm/ammonia/24 hours'. Then - a Saltwater Rinse and Scrub - Then repeat all of the same tests as in step 1.

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Fyi - doctors appts today -etc - I 've responded to some threads - but bottom line - both tanks - are ammonia free. Tomorrow - I want to do one of 2 things - (I think I should) - repeat the first experiment - and get results - OR - as @sixty_reefer suggested - put both tanks in the dark. @Lasse

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fyi - doctors appts today -etc - I 've responded to some threads - but bottom line - both tanks - are ammonia free. Tomorrow - I want to do one of 2 things - (I think I should) - repeat the first experiment - and get results - OR - as @sixty_reefer suggested - put both tanks in the dark. @Lasse
Dark would be cool just to see how much photosynthesis really uses :)

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dark would be cool just to see how much photosynthesis really uses :)
I will add 2 ppm tomorrow - then then next experiment will be both dark:).... I think this suggests strongly that one cannot just count on the surface are to remove ammonia:)

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will add 2 ppm tomorrow - then then next experiment will be both dark:).... I think this suggests strongly that one cannot just count on the surface are to remove ammonia:)
What about a tank that had 75x+ turnover I wonder. @KimG I recall saying in higher flow it tended to dislodge the bacteria in some way?

KimG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about a tank that had 75x+ turnover I wonder. @KimG I recall saying in higher flow it tended to dislodge the bacteria in some way?
Not entirely what I was saying. My experience is that selective pressures can determine how and where bacteria grow. If there was no flow i was afraid that bacteria would grow more loosely and be removed more easily. High flow would probably be good in helping the robustness of the bacteria

Last edited:

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be following this part with great interest, the outcome has a great potential.

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here are the final results of Experiment 1 - Which basically confirm the results of @Coxey81 - and @sixty_reefer - that the LIT rock from the display tank processes ammonia more quickly than the sump rock in a dark tank

Tank 1 - 2 ppm Ammonia - Sump Rock (Dark). Processed all ammonia BY 96 hours
Tank 2 - 2 ppm Ammonia - Rock from Display (Lit) Processed all ammonia BY 72 hours

5 gallon Tank, HOB Filter power head identical Heater, water, .52 Lbs Rock.

Screen Shot 2021-11-25 at 11.16.25 AM.png

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the final results of Experiment 1 - Which basically confirm the results of @Coxey81 - and @sixty_reefer - that the LIT rock from the display tank processes ammonia more quickly than the sump rock in a dark tank

Tank 1 - 2 ppm Ammonia - Sump Rock (Dark). Processed all ammonia BY 96 hours
Tank 2 - 2 ppm Ammonia - Rock from Display (Lit) Processed all ammonia BY 72 hours

5 gallon Tank, HOB Filter power head identical Heater, water, .52 Lbs Rock.

Screen Shot 2021-11-25 at 11.16.25 AM.png
Fantastic work

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) - I´ll think that the API nitrite test is not sensitive enough - I would use Hanna ULR marine nitrite checker
2) - if you already start the experiment in darkness for both two - keep on with that - if not - think of just switching the light - have the former lighted stones in darkness and illuminate the one that was in darkness in the first run. I will expect that the differences is done by photosynthesis

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1) - I´ll think that the API nitrite test is not sensitive enough - I would use Hanna ULR marine nitrite checker
2) - if you already start the experiment in darkness for both two - keep on with that - if not - think of just switching the light - have the former lighted stones in darkness and illuminate the one that was in darkness in the first run. I will expect that the differences is done by photosynthesis

Sincerely Lasse

I agree @Lasse - I did not want to spend another 30$ to get one - since I won't likely use it again. (The Nitrite checker)

As far as #2 - The rock in the dark has always been 'in the dark' - do you think enough will grow on the rock in a day or so - to cause photosynthesis? At least if both are dark - for the dark tank it will be a replicate of study 1 - and if the lit one is dark - one would expect no photosynthesis?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The result can be - the same as before in the aquarium that have no light in the first experiment - because as you say - it is not likely there is many photosynthetic organism there and it will be the same as no light exp 1 when you put the light exposed (in test1) into the dark. If this happens - I´ll think that the indications about that photosynthetic organisms was active in your first test is very strong

Sincerely Lasse

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back