New qt for velvet

An ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really need help for setting new qt tank because of velvet outbreaks. Should I use new water and put biospira in there in couple days or put my fishes in there right away ????

Fishy212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Sorry to hear about your outbreak :( I would think using new water would be your best bet. I would use biospira to kickstart the process. Hopefully others will give their opinions.

OP
OP
A

An ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Sorry to hear about your outbreak :( I would think using new water would be your best bet. I would use biospira to kickstart the process. Hopefully others will give their opinions.
But should I wait a day for a cycle or pull the fishes out and put into at right away. I just mixed new water but didn’t put biospira yet. I have around 13 fishes. Thinhking put into 2 20 long bit hopefully it don’t get amonia spike

Badilac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New water, move them right away, seed with Biospira, add a seachem ammonia badge, dose seachem prime daily once ammonia starts going up until the biofilter catches up. Start copper treatment ASAP. I do this same thing with zero issues when purchasing new fish. I start my QT tank the day I buy the fish. Just monitor ammonia very closely and dose prime every 12-24 hours as it will only bind ammonia for up to 24hrs then it will release it back into the water column.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New water, move them right away, seed with Biospira, add a seachem ammonia badge, dose seachem prime daily once ammonia starts going up until the biofilter catches up. Start copper treatment ASAP. I do this same thing with zero issues when purchasing new fish. I start my QT tank the day I buy the fish. Just monitor ammonia very closely and dose prime every 12-24 hours as it will only bind ammonia for up to 24hrs then it will release it back into the water column.
Watch out for Prime and copper being mixed as ionic copper can be broken down by the prime.

OP
OP
A

An ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do that, but should I use copper power and seachem prime at the same time??

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, start right away, you don't have time to cycle. +1 on the ammonia badge and you'll likely have to do some water changes along the way, which is tricky because you'll need to have the water going in dosed to the same level of copper as the quarantine. Be careful with dosing prime with copper treatments, I would say to not do so and just watch ammonia and regulate with water changes.

Badilac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do that, but should I use copper power and seachem prime at the same time??
Yes copper power and prime are safe together but only start prime once ammonia is detectable. Water changes are better but Prime is 100% safe with copper power.

Badilac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is info on using prime with copper power. IT IS 100% SAFE.

OP
OP
A

An ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
should I raise copper quickly in 2 days or have to do slowly. I have a bimac anthias has bad bacteria infection too. How can I treat it when treating copper??

Badilac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
A

An ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, start right away, you don't have time to cycle. +1 on the ammonia badge and you'll likely have to do some water changes along the way, which is tricky because you'll need to have the water going in dosed to the same level of copper as the quarantine. Be careful with dosing prime with copper treatments, I would say to not do so and just watch ammonia and regulate with water changes.
But how much do I need to do water change with 20 gal when amonia detected?? 20% with same dosage?

mikeintoronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I do now.
Immediately put the fish into a 30 minute H2O2 bath for 30 minutes, or 45 minute formalin. This knocks off the parasite and seems less traumatic than FW dips.
Then I do tank transfers every other day using copper every time for the remainder of the treatment period. My copper solution uses exactly 60 drops to get to therapeutic copper so I prep the new container, test it, then transfer in. It uses up a lot of copper but it avoids some of the other issues that come along with keeping the fish in the same filthy water for 2-4 weeks (bad bacteria, ammonia, etc.). No filters, just heaters and air stones.

OP
OP
A

An ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
A

An ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I do now.
Immediately put the fish into a 30 minute H2O2 bath for 30 minutes, or 45 minute formalin. This knocks off the parasite and seems less traumatic than FW dips.
Then I do tank transfers every other day using copper every time for the remainder of the treatment period. My copper solution uses exactly 60 drops to get to therapeutic copper so I prep the new container, test it, then transfer in. It uses up a lot of copper but it avoids some of the other issues that come along with keeping the fish in the same filthy water for 2-4 weeks (bad bacteria, ammonia, etc.). No filters, just heaters and air stones.
I have hob filter so I would keep in the same tank to reduce stress

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 57 50.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 62 54.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.0%
Back