New reef build...Looking for suggestions

Jgeezy82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to get into the hobby and have been doing a ton of research but also wanted to pick the brains of the experienced members to make sure I do it right. I have my eyes on the Waterbox 100.3 due to size of the area and it's sleek design. I plan on staring with aquascape and soft corals and eventually move up.

Here is my questions to you...

If you were to start a new build from scratch knowing what you know and using the 100.3 to start, what would your ideal build plans for equipment be in order to protect the investment. I guess if I'm going to dive into the hobby I want to make sure I'm using the right equipment from the start instead of starting with a budget then eventually replacing everything down the road.

Also, With the top of the tank being only 58in and this being in a open room, has anyone ever placed the whole unit on a raised platform for better viewing and to get it closer to eye level. (there would still be enough room to access the tank from the top)?

I appreciate the feedback!!

Infidel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to get into the hobby and have been doing a ton of research but also wanted to pick the brains of the experienced members to make sure I do it right. I have my eyes on the Waterbox 100.3 due to size of the area and it's sleek design. I plan on staring with aquascape and soft corals and eventually move up.

Here is my questions to you...

If you were to start a new build from scratch knowing what you know and using the 100.3 to start, what would your ideal build plans for equipment be in order to protect the investment. I guess if I'm going to dive into the hobby I want to make sure I'm using the right equipment from the start instead of starting with a budget then eventually replacing everything down the road.

Also, With the top of the tank being only 58in and this being in a open room, has anyone ever placed the whole unit on a raised platform for better viewing and to get it closer to eye level. (there would still be enough room to access the tank from the top)?

I appreciate the feedback!!
Welcome to R2R!

Most people don't place a tank at standing eye level (which also varies greatly depending on the person viewing the tank). Also, how can you sit in a comfortable chair with your favorite beverage and check out the tank if it's so high?

I think Waterbox determined the height of the system based on optimal viewing height as well as ease and comfort of tank maintenance while standing (without a stool/ladder). With that being said, you could also prop it up on a raised, solid platform (at the stand level) if you really wanted to, but I wouldn't consider it myself unless it was a raised concrete slab on an existing concrete floor in the basement.

Check out my signature for some ideas on decent equipment for a Waterbox 100.3. There are also many others on R2R with great setups and ideas, try out a search for "Waterbox 100.3".

Back