New Reef Octopus Octo Pulse 2 (fully controllable flow pump)

OP
OP
FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my octo 2 has been running for a month or so and really like it. The controller is sweet and you can see which mode it's running so you dont have to remember colors like my mp40. I can also adjust the angle by grabing the cord and tug this way or that:cool: a draw back for some may be the strong focused stream of water, I wish it was a wider pattern like the Wave Puck it replaced BTW that is dead after 6 months, although a good cleaning may bring life back, there was no error code so if I ever get extra time I'll look at it. The 4 has to be a flow monster and if my mp40 dies thats were i'll be. Never owned a Tunze DRS has them on clearance and if I was on a budget I would not hesitate. I cant wait to see what you come up with on this Dream Build

@siggy - I made a little progress yesterday and installed my new BRS 6 Stage RODI system with a booster pump and went with the 2nd membrane upgrade kit. Instead of 75 gallons a day I can produce 150 gallons a day if needed but the main purpose to add a 2nd membrane is to cut your waste water in half which only saves your filters from burning out so fast! If you own a RODI, system I would (HIGHLY recommended) getting the WATER SAVER UPGRADE KIT and installing the 2nd membrane and I will tell you why. If you have proper pressure (65+ PSI) highly recommend installing the kit, because it will produce water twice as fast as a standard 75 GPD or 100 GPD membrane while cutting the amount of wastewater in half. The BRS 150 GPD or 200 GPD Water Saver Upgrade Kit will increase the production of any 75 GPD RODI system to 150 GPD or 100 GPD RO membrane up to 200 GPD without having to use any additional water. With the installation of this kit water production will increase from approximately three gallons per hour to six gallons per hour! It does require 65psi or more into the first membrane in order to function properly and be efficient. If your home's water pressure is less then the recommended PSI do not worry, adding a booster pump just like what I had to do since my water pressure was under 50psi. so my Booster pump will kick on for a few minutes and then kick off ones the RODI has filled your storage container.

Here are a few pics from yesterday on my install for my Brand new RODI w/ booster pump included and a WATER SAVER UPGRADE KIT. Today, I will finish up all of the wire management and install 1'' grey wire ducts so you will not be able to see the pressure switch wires and other RO Lines running over over the place. I like it nice and clean. FYI- The Water Saving Upgrade Kits are probably our most recommended RODI upgrade.

50 GALLON MIXING.JPG

RODI PANEL.JPG

RODI PANEL INNSTALL.png

RODI Install.JPG

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a few pics from yesterday on my install for my Brand new RODI w/ booster pump included and a WATER SAVER UPGRADE KIT. Today, I will finish up all of the wire management and install 1'' grey wire ducts so you will not be able to see the pressure switch wires and other RO Lines running over over the place. I like it nice and clean. FYI- The Water Saving Upgrade Kits are probably our most recommended RODI upgrade.
Fine job, Ya I have to get my water system going..What size or type of fitting goes into the bulkhead on the storage tank? I was trying to just plug it and use as a standalone storage tank and had difficulty, It looks to be a straight thread instead of NPT

OP
OP
FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many thanks @siggy - Equipment used for the Mixing Station for my Ace Roto 25 Gallon Storage containers I went with Everything being 3/4'' in size as well as all of my PVC, Fittings and Valves.

Sch 40 PVC pipe (BLUE) 3/4''
6 - Sch 80 Unions 3/4''
5 - Cepex Ball Valves 3/4''
2 - Sch 80 45's 3/4''
1 - Loc-Line 3/4''
1 - Reef Octo VarioS4 Return Pump DC controlable.
6 - BRS RODI 6 Stage W/ 2ND Membrane upgrade
1 - Aquatech 1/4'' Booster Pump including a pressure switch
1 - PinPoint Salinity Monitor
1 - Inkbird Temp Controller
2 - Ace Roto 25 gallon Storage Containers

OP
OP
FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course not. I've seen countless new products come in with a bang .... and go out with a wimper. Plus anybody who uses the term 'fanboy' immediately loses me ... I stop reading. So we shall see. They look nice. Maybe more Jebao competition than vortech.

Myself would much rather see the TUNZE vs the Reef Octo Pulse 4's! Don't get me wrong, the new VarioS DC line of pumps that Reef Octo has put out are build and run superior , since I own a few.. I think the Pulse's pucks are to new for me, so I will stay as planned and grab a pair of TUNZE 6105s and run my current pair of TUNZE 6055's in my new 150 build that I am designing.

Last edited:

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update on the pulse 4s ? Am debating of getting these against mp40s or even tunzes for a new build in the horizon .
I see that people have mentioned that the flow is similar to mp60 or more which is surprising as on paper it should be similar to mp40 and not mp60 .
Am thinking of getting 4-5 for a 48 x 40 x 20 tank .

Regards,
Abhishek

Trickman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have set them up. You can rotate the pump on the magnet to point them around like up down left right.

I have my two mp60s at 100% and these at 100% placed my hand in front of it and they have same amount of force on them moving water.

So far I really like them. Will have to see how the corals responds. Definitely a lot of water movement.
How do they compare to the MP60's?

gobble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just installed the first of my two Pulse 4's tonight to supplement my MP40s. These things move a TON of water, almost too much. They seem much stronger than the MP40s. Two of these on a 59" tank is almost too much.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still running my Octo 2 with Zero problems, that and a mp40 48" 75 gallon is more than I need running 40%

gobble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you find the Octo 2's have equal flow to the MP40's? The 4's seem to have more then the 40's. I'm curious what I'd get with the 2's.

I wanted to put the 4's on my back wall to supplement the MP40's, but there's just no way even at the lowest setting. They either blow water over the front of the tank or destroy the sand depending on how they're pointed.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you find the Octo 2's have equal flow to the MP40's?
the 2 is close put the mp40 is defiantly a stronger pump.
the octo 2 motor is a third of the size of the MP, so its the little pump that CAN.;)

Charles Clayton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Octo Pulse 2 on a C-Vue 45 AIO. The pump comes with 4 programs and 8 power settings. According to the manual, the lowest setting of 1 is 850 GPH and then it goes up incrementally to around 1600 GPH. A great pump. Well-built and really quite. You can also direct the flow quite well. This would be an awesome wavemaker for lager tanks or bare bottom SPS tanks.

My main problem with this pump is the _minimum_ flow rate appears to be 850 GPH. For example, a wave setting going from a power setting of 1 to 4 is really going from 850 GPH to 1170 GPH. In my small mostly LPS tank, that is more flow than I wanted and being able to go from 200 (like an MP 10) to some higher flow rate would have been much more useful.

The other thing to consider is there is no way to run multiple pumps together using the included controller.

All that said, you can connect these to a controller (like an Apex) with a 0-10 volt connection. Doing that would allow you to dial-down the flow to maybe 15% of max (maybe around 300 GPH) and you could also coordinate multiple pumps.

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running the little one Octo2 and I LIKE IT! dead silent and moves a ton of water, only wish it was a wider flow pattern.
How much flow do you find it outputs at 70% max or so? I'm considering putting two of these on a peninsula tank that is tight for space. Also, it appears you can pre-program this for long-term repeats of day and night cycles etc. - is this correct? Thanks

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much flow do you find it outputs at 70% max or so? I'm considering putting two of these on a peninsula tank that is tight for space. Also, it appears you can pre-program this for long-term repeats of day and night cycles etc. - is this correct? Thanks
I am not so sure about the pre-programming:rolleyes: I have had the pump sense its launch and it just works. I have noticed reduced flow when its dirty but thats to be expected. I am guessing it moves about half the water that my mp40 moves. I do like being able to adjust the angle

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered an OP4 today. Running two Gyre XF250s now and the annoying humming of the motors can be heard from the other room...got tired of them.

I ran MP40qds before but their "straight on flow" can get annoying when sps are growing in their path. The flow they put out is ok at best for the price. They look sharp, but I was upset when saw rust inside the magnet cage. I guess it happens as vortec pumps get older, since it happened to me twice over the years.

Being able to point flow up is the way to go for healthier flow in the tank without blasting the animals straight on.

Ive been reading the OP4 puts out similar flow as the MP60, so in that case I'll get a OP2 for the opposing side of my 150 gal and have plenty.

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Octo Pulse 2 on a C-Vue 45 AIO. The pump comes with 4 programs and 8 power settings. According to the manual, the lowest setting of 1 is 850 GPH and then it goes up incrementally to around 1600 GPH. A great pump. Well-built and really quite. You can also direct the flow quite well. This would be an awesome wavemaker for lager tanks or bare bottom SPS tanks.

My main problem with this pump is the _minimum_ flow rate appears to be 850 GPH. For example, a wave setting going from a power setting of 1 to 4 is really going from 850 GPH to 1170 GPH. In my small mostly LPS tank, that is more flow than I wanted and being able to go from 200 (like an MP 10) to some higher flow rate would have been much more useful.

The other thing to consider is there is no way to run multiple pumps together using the included controller.

All that said, you can connect these to a controller (like an Apex) with a 0-10 volt connection. Doing that would allow you to dial-down the flow to maybe 15% of max (maybe around 300 GPH) and you could also coordinate multiple pumps.

When you say there’s is no way to run multiple pumps using the included controller, how does this compare to Tunze? Can you run multiple pumps on one controller? What about synchronization of the pumps? Thanks!

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased the OP4 and it is an absolute beast. By itself pointing up to the surface at 65% does better than two MP40qds in my 150 gal.
For anyone looking for a great pump, this is it.
It looks very sleek and the cord isnt at all a big deal. It has same or better performance than an MP60qd, but is smaller, can be directed to multiple angles and is 400 bucks cheaper.
Definitely recommend!

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hey Charles - any updates on your Octo-Pulse 2 wavemakers? Found a way to scale down the output? Anything else? Cheers!

OpTiCz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Charles - any updates on your Octo-Pulse 2 wavemakers? Found a way to scale down the output? Anything else? Cheers!

I’m wondering the same. It’s too much flow on my 30 gallon, which is about 40 long. For kicks I connected it to my Kessil controller which also outputs 0-10v, and it actually controlled it. On the lowest setting on the Kessil controller (5%), it measures about 1.9v, but the Octo Pulse 2 still seemed like the flow was about the same 30% as when it’s controlled without the 0-10v. I’m guessing dropping it down to like 1v wouldn’t make a difference.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back