New Reefer in NJ

evoIX_njreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not too far. In Bergen County > New Milford. I don't have much experiences with the maxspect lights but from par information when reviewing them wasn't really able support without supplementing the lights. Not saying you can't keep it for SPS on top but from what I've seen more of a LPS light by itself. PAR reader to ensure you can keep SPS in several areas.

I would probably go a different direction if your able to.

I like Radion if your able to as I've seen plenty of mixed reefs or SPS dominated tanks being able to sustain and grow without issues. If you want to do it once and not worry for a few years. I'd personally go with it as a first option.

You have time but think about how you plan to keep water parameters stable. Will you go CaRX for alk/ca or dosing? How will you export excess nutrients? Make sure you utilize RO/DI and 0tds ALWAYS. Try to automate as much as possible to enjoy the hobby more. Having to do daily tasks that aren't enjoying to watch will get you annoyed quickly.

Good luck with the build!

Brandon Smith

AquaticArsenal.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
received_244003776723671.gif

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the hobby Alec! Good luck with the build, for the lighting I would look to T5 for now, if you want to pay up front for some nice LEDs I would openly recommend the AI brand of lights, you may be able to find a pair of used Hydra 52's for a discounted price (they're what I use, and I'm very happy with them!), or maybe you could try some cheaper lights (like the MAXspect). Really, it's all up to what you're research leads you to choose.
Good luck and God bless!

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I never realized how many people came from NJ until when I went to school in Florida and it was like a clown car with people saying they were from Jersey. I'm actually in the next town over, probably < 5 minutes away. When we're done with this Coronavirus you'll have to stop by. Cheers

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi welcome to the reef going to love it here!!
lots of fun/info/fun/help/fun....
nice!!! ..build thread time;):cool:

PTXReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone thanksfor the add. My name is Alek from Hawthorne in Passaic County. I work as a construction supervisor in NYC, a scuba diver and into ww2 reenactments. I have been a fresh fish guy for years and years. But moved to NJ from California (12years on the east coast), got married, had kids, bought a house and now caught the reefing bug.
I've been doing research since January. Books, YouTube, reading forums, askBRS etc...now Reef2Reef!
Currently im making plans to remodel my living room with a tank incorporated into the design.
In the meantime (other than research), I have been slowly collecting money and equipment. Planning on setting up a 90g Ocianic Tech.

Equipment Plan: (next purchases)
Vectra M2 for return
2 mp40s
Maxspect Razor r5 200w

lighting is my current delema. I'm trying to balance budget and par capabilities. I'm very interested in the Maxspect, wondering if the light mentioned above would work for a mix LPS/SPS 90g 48" in a hood.

Again, thank you for accepting me to this forum. I'm very eager and excited (patience is key though) to start this hobby and equally excited to meet like minded tank mates! With a goal to be successful, I hope soon to make a goal to help new reefers starting out as well!

best,
Alek (Shoomie)

Welcome to R2R! Can't wait for the pics when everything is up and running!

giphy.gif

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 43 57.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 21 28.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.0%
Back