New Ricordea!

paintballer768

Master of Puppets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. Sorry Im new to this board so if I do anything wrong as far as thread placement and what not, let me know! I went to the LFS this past week and they had a small frag tank, and I know for a fact theyve been sitting in that tank for a good 2 weeks or so. So usually I dont look at it because its not very big and all, and then something caught my eye, a ric that looks like it hasnt opened up all the way is a longgg time haha. Got it for a steal. How do you all recommend I keep this bad boy? Its in a 24 gallon under the stock PC nano lighting. Yea I know its a bit low, but people seem to think (not LFS) that its feasable if I limit my collection to mushrooms and zoas.

Since taking this picture, some of my zoas on the bottom were stretching for light, so I moved them to where the ric is in this picture, and propped up a decent size rock and now have him sitting probably about 1/4 height of the tank from the bottom. Let me know what you think! Thank you

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think with your lighting you will be fine to bring it even a bit higher in youor tank as it adjust to your lighting. You will be fine with your lighting and it should give you great success. They can take a varity of flow as well I have some that are in low flow and some that are in higher flow and expand really well so you should be fine with it. That is a very nice ricordea as well......

OP
OP
P

paintballer768

Master of Puppets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Az. Its opened all the way and they look so great. Ive got him on a nice rock that has no other competition near it so hopefully he will will split and I can keep em on that rock away from other things that might compete for space otherwise. Ill see how he does. One quick question though, not about the ric. I noticed planaria on a few of my other mushrooms today, so I did a freshwater dip (distilled water.) Only left the mushrooms in the water for about 5 seconds total, and it worked. 1 of the shrooms isnt looking so good, and has filled back up since then, but could he have gone into shock or something?

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely in shock from the freshwater. Do you have Lugol's or Tropic Marin Pro Coral Cure (TMPCC). They work great for dips and you can use your tankwater much easier on corals.

OP
OP
P

paintballer768

Master of Puppets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have anything like that lol. I should probably pick some of it up next time I go to the LFS. I want to focus on getting some fish first haha.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second what hyper said, I would never use distilled water for dips or anything with aquatics. It is actually very harsh due to the purity and lack of minerals in it. I'm sure the mushroom is just showing signs from the dip, tap water would be better even with chlorine in it then distilled water.

OP
OP
P

paintballer768

Master of Puppets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I would never dip a ricordea lol. I got some mushrooms when I started this tank from a friend who didnt want them anymore and I got them for dirt cheap, 2$ a head, and I got 3 of different kinds. So Im not exactly too worried about them. Also theyre doing fine now. The worst one looks like the edges are fried, but its opening and fine.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both of those dips can be used in tank water, if you don't have the TMPCC you can use RO/DI and Lugols or even spring water and lugols but with mushrooms I would not dip unless absolutely necessary. I would also as Currentking suggested never dip ricordea......

OP
OP
P

paintballer768

Master of Puppets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea its not a ricordea. I dont know if I put this in any of my last posts, but they were green stripey mushrooms that were covered in planaria. I dipped em in freshwater to shock them off of the mushrooms. It worked with the exception of one little one left.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I was saying I wouldn't dip mushrooms unless absolutely necessary. They can be problemmatic when dipping in anything outside of tank water and Lugol's.

OP
OP
P

paintballer768

Master of Puppets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, yea I figured that one out the hard way lol. They all seem to be fine now. For the future what do you think I can use to get flatworms off of them? Flatworm exit?

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just take the rock out and some tank water and use a turkey baster and hit it with a bunch of squirts with that. Or if reall bad you can use the tank water and the TMPCC dip which I thin will get rid of Flatworms as well.....I can't remember for sure though....

OP
OP
P

paintballer768

Master of Puppets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just take the rock out and some tank water and use a turkey baster and hit it with a bunch of squirts with that. Or if reall bad you can use the tank water and the TMPCC dip which I thin will get rid of Flatworms as well.....I can't remember for sure though....

Ok well Ill try it next time if it gets very bad. I just got back from the LFS and was amazed at mine. 16.99 for a tiny feather duster. I walked out with a Percula and a Firefish goby for 12.99 each, I just think the feather duster is the funniest thing. My friend has a tank where theyre all over the place and in the sandbed, Ill just get one for free haha.

Also its kind of a game at this point to match the tag with the coral in the huge tank, and realize whats mislabeled. Blaso welksi (sp?) was labeled as an acanstrea. Funny stuff.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 68 30.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 63 27.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 48 21.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 45 19.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back