New rock in 9 year reef

Zazzy

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 27, 2017
Messages
565
Reaction score
321
Location
Woodstock, GA
What state or country do you live in
Georgia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I added more dry rock into my reef and over the past week ONLY that new rock began to form diatoms and air bubbles. I dose 20ml of white vinegar everyday. My nitrates are undetectable and don't have phosphate test kit but just added a ton of phosguard little more then I should have to be safe.
all my parameters are in check. I also upgraded to an40 gallon sump around the same time. Is this just a mini cycle
 
By my understanding, a cycle involves ammonia levels registering, converting to nitrite (again at detectable levels) and then finally nitrate. So, in my understanding, this isn't a "cycle" but rather just the new rock going through the new stages to become "live"
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 21.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.4%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 7 7.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new