New Royal Gramma

Big Ray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, probably a but early to be worried. I bought a Royal Gramma yesterday which when added to the tank darted straight for the rocks. It did this in the shop and went inside of the rock there so i think its done the same in my tank. From what ive seen they can hide for quite a while my only worry is will it have got itself stuck in the rock while it was stressed? Last think i need is a fish dying inside a rock.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think you anything to worry about,reef fish and rock loving fish evolved over millions years to be good at it,i get your thinking of it stressed and squeezes into smallest of holes then cannot get out which i guess like anything in life is possible but highly doubt it.
My blennies squeezes into holes in rocks where i didn't even know holes was there.
To put your mind at ease try feed it a food it will eat directly in front of where you think it will be as new fish often hide but dart out to get food then dart back in the rocks.

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our first RG was extremely shy in QT. Wouldn’t even come out of hiding to eat for the first few days. He eventually would venture out a little but was still skittish and terrified of the yellow tang. Then he got flukes and died.

The second was a little less shy in QT but got his sea legs eventually and would swim/float quite a bit. Since moving him to the DT he first found his hiding spot in the rock, but within a day now floats all day long out front in the middle of the tank!

So my impression is that they’re on the shy side and really need to get comfortable with a hiding place and tank inhabitants before getting more brave.

Killingtime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience with my Royal Gramma has been the same. I got mine 10 days ago and he went into hiding immediately. He pops his head out of the rock in various places to look around (it's like wack-a-mole) but doesn't come out completely until feeding times.
I hope in time he gets more comfortable and stays out, they are a beautiful fish.

Good luck with yours!

Jbell370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RG are a deeper water fish as well, when I got mine it spent most of the photo period in hiding, would actively come out at dawn and dusk. I didn't see him one day and figured he was dead, 4 months later when cleaning my sump I found him alive and well. With the new tank, gladly he is out all of the time and swims with the other fish.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My RG flipped out and disappeared in the rocks for several days after being added to my DT. I never saw it. I panicked and I thought it was dead, but it came out after almost a week. It slowly started showing itself and would quickly start darting out to grab food and then right back into it's hiding spot. slowly it gained confidence and now it's always out and about. It always retreats to and will defend it's hiding spot from any fish, no matter how big or small.

Great fish. Beautiful and full of personality with their "Great White Shark" face they use to intimidate other fish near their cave. While not aggressive at all, they will aggressively defend their homes/caves when any fish gets to close.

I'll always have one in my tank.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 142 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back