New snowflake not eating

Shaqs_Jumper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a small snowflake eel into my tank around 4 or 5 days ago and he still hasn't eaten I've seen him smell the food but he doesn't seem interested any suggestions?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How, and what are you feeding. Eels take a special approach to feeding, they have to be taught to take dead food. Target fed and sometimes even live food to get them settled in.

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size is he too? they can go a long time without eating.

Mine (zebra moray) ate shrimp pretty readily. I tried scallops, squid, and even octopus but he preferred the shrimp. Once he just lost interest in eating and stayed in his cave. He went 4 weeks until I saw him come out again to eat.

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can go a few weeks without eating so i wouldnt be too worried yet. Just try to offer him a variety of different food every couple days until he eats. I also recommend tong feeding and waving it in front of him.

OP
OP
Shaqs_Jumper

Shaqs_Jumper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How, and what are you feeding. Eels take a special approach to feeding, they have to be taught to take dead food. Target fed and sometimes even live food to get them settled in.
I have a friend who owns a zebra moray a white ribbon and a small banded moray and I've been trying to feed the same way with tongs and waving it around in front of him

OP
OP
Shaqs_Jumper

Shaqs_Jumper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size is he too? they can go a long time without eating.

Mine (zebra moray) ate shrimp pretty readily. I tried scallops, squid, and even octopus but he preferred the shrimp. Once he just lost interest in eating and stayed in his cave. He went 4 weeks until I saw him come out again to eat.
He is probably around a foot long

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also make sure rhe pieces are not too large, although they are capable of getting them down, sometimes a new addition can be intimidated. New additions may also need a few live feedings to start, ghost shrimp are preferred. I don't like waiting for new additions to eat, as eels many times come in with internal parasites, and not eating is one indication. Although you will hear that hunger strikes are normal for eels, they are not, there is always a root cause. If the root cause isn't addressed, the eel will eventually have one final hunger strike. Sometimes these causes do resolve themselves.

You may also try a feeding stick instead on tongs, some may be intimidated by the tongs.

Last edited:

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to feed mine seafood medley from the seafood counter .
The only thing that’s not raw is the mussels and he refused to eat them .

Use feeding tongs . Their bite apparently hurts

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 95 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back