New Sump Filtration Setup

Chas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always used AIOs when it comes to my saltwater tanks. So, this is my first system that I've setup myself from top (40b drilled w ATO) to bottom (Fijicube sump w 2 filter sock holes, the usual temp and heater etc holes, and five chambers).

I have a question, possibly two. My sump setup has a Bubble Magus Curve A5 skimmer (yes, more than needed for a 40b, but...), Jebao DC-3000 DC return pump, 2 4" 200 micron filter socks, heater, temp gauge, the usual stuff. I already have a ton of filter floss from my AIO systems, but I'm seeing filter socks get a LOT of flack because of how much attention they need every 3 days.

So, if I keep the two filter socks, what should I use in the second (first would be floss)? I was thinking chemipure elite for the second one, but many are saying that it backs up the flow and to just use fine particle carbon instead (sans the deionization resin or GFO).

If I decide not to use the filter socks, what would I use to control large particles of debris?

The sump has five chambers. If my 2 filter socks are in the first chamber, skimmer is in the center, and the last for the return pump, then i have 1 on the left side and 1 on the left.

What would you recommend I do instead of the socks? I do plan to use one of these chambers as a quarantine. I've played w the idea of a refugium, but it seems overwhelming because of the extra lighting, the algae upkeep (not to mention all of the types of algae). I'd need space to keep copepods as my favorite fish are mandarin gobies. It's not an optional thing for me.

So, any help would be great. If you recommend a reactor, what would be a good affordable one? If you recommend a refugium, what grow light would be good for a Fijicube layout, what kind of algae, and would you still put live rock in it as well?

Thanks in advance.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use socks on my fiji sump (I think its the 24 but it may be the 20). Honestly, if someone can't change filter socks every 3 days then a reef tank isn't for them because its probably the easiest thing to do. I just keep a bucket of dirty socks and throw them in the washer machine when they are done. Floss annoys me because I don't like having to constantly buy more. I prefer 4x10 100 micron socks.

As for the skimmer and refugium, I only rum a refugium. I am not a fan of skimmers unless the tank is heavily stocked. This mainly stems from me preferring more microbes and plankton in my water column and the fact that my refugium is strong enough if not too strong. I run mocha ogo, red gracilaria, and chaeto in my skimmer section and use an ai prime HD. I dose chaetogro daily ( i dont do water changes and macro tends to die off or not do well if you run out of certain trace elements.

I put my carbon bag before the socks in the area where the water drains down.

OP
OP
Chas

Chas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use socks on my fiji sump (I think its the 24 but it may be the 20). Honestly, if someone can't change filter socks every 3 days then a reef tank isn't for them because its probably the easiest thing to do. I just keep a bucket of dirty socks and throw them in the washer machine when they are done. Floss annoys me because I don't like having to constantly buy more. I prefer 4x10 100 micron socks.

As for the skimmer and refugium, I only rum a refugium. I am not a fan of skimmers unless the tank is heavily stocked. This mainly stems from me preferring more microbes and plankton in my water column and the fact that my refugium is strong enough if not too strong. I run mocha ogo, red gracilaria, and chaeto in my skimmer section and use an ai prime HD. I dose chaetogro daily ( i dont do water changes and macro tends to die off or not do well if you run out of certain trace elements.

I put my carbon bag before the socks in the area where the water drains down.

Ok, so I don't need to put floss in the sock? Just an empty sock?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I don't need to put floss in the sock? Just an empty sock?

A plain filter sock is fine. They have a tray that you can out floss in if you prefer that or filter pads but I find that the filter socks are cheaper in the long run and create less mess when removed. The key is jist to get a bunch of socks that you can throw in a washer machine (no detergent but bleach should be ok (idk if you have to dechlorinate afterward it dries but i do anyways).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 12 70.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 5.9%
Back