OP
OP
Jmradtke13

Jmradtke13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!!! Astrea snails! Kind of a pain as they can't right themselves if flip over....and I need someone to tell me how they manage to do that on a flat sand bed with no flow....but algae eating machines.
Thank you and yes I know they are a pain but it was all my LFS had at the time. I am going to look into getting Nassarius snails.

OP
OP
Jmradtke13

Jmradtke13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae blenny?
Loads of personality!

spockwelcome.jpg
I will look into an algea blenny, thank you!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sadly when I was paying someone he was only coming once a month, but now that I am taking it over again I did a 5 percent 3 days ago and since the salinty was throught the roof, I did another one today and it went down a bit after adding more salt than fresh. Are you thinking the lack of water changes are due to the bloom? I am planning on doing 2 a month? Doesnt it depend on the amount of livestock you have in the tank?
Yes lack of water changes is likely part of the issue. The purpose of a water change is to export bad nutrients and replace it with fresh brand new saltwater. If a water change isnt performed regularly, the nutrients will continue to increase, feeding unwanted algae. Most reefers do 10% weekly water changes.

OP
OP
Jmradtke13

Jmradtke13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes lack of water changes is likely part of the issue. The purpose of a water change is to export bad nutrients and replace it with fresh brand new saltwater. If a water change isnt performed regularly, the nutrients will continue to increase, feeding unwanted algae. Most reefers do 10% weekly water changes.
Thanks for the tip!

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tip! I will look into getting one.

Don’t make my mistakes! After you add a bunch of water to the bag or whatever..... KEEP THEM UNDERWATER. Keep urchins fully submerged when transferring to your tank. Basically even small/short times out of water are bad news

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I knew there was a formula for snails/gallon. I just purchased 20 astreas but I am looking to buy 20 more. I have never heard of trochus or cerith and will definitely do research on them, but I heard Nassaruis are better than astreas right?
I am not really sure on astrea snails, I picked those because the three of them clean the glass, rock, and sand.

jhebi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats what I heard also but he doesnt seem interested in climbing on the rock. I picked it up and placed it near the algea on the rock and within 30 min it was on the ground again.

How lonmg is the seahare in there. Sometimes it takes couple days for them to chow down. And when they do, you better have a lot of algae or else they will die. Hope starts to eat. Good Luck and Welcome

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome - if that picture of your tank is recent I'd say it's not in all that bad of shape!

It looks like you have a canister filter - how often are you changing that and how old is the media inside it? Can you start running a protein skimmer?

Personally - I wouldn't change too much all at once. Get started on regular water changes, be sure you get and keep your salinity right on target. Run for at least 2 weeks after that and keep your tank as stable as possible.

See whats happening after that - algae going away a little? Great - keep up the water changes. Algae getting worse? OK - start taking additional steps.

First though - get the tank stable and keep it stable for a few weeks. As long as nothing is close to death - go nice & slow.

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I knew there was a formula for snails/gallon. I just purchased 20 astreas but I am looking to buy 20 more. I have never heard of trochus or cerith and will definitely do research on them, but I heard Nassaruis are better than astreas right?
Nassaruis snails are more of a carnivore . Ceriths are omnivores .. Astreas are pretty good algae eater . I also have trochus snails which are great at eating algae. I always like stocking different species in tank because each snail has a different attribute in some ways

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back