New to Reef2Reef

Syunger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

Glad to be here!

I'm new and I have had terrible problems getting my 55 going. Been up since July. Rushed and shouldn't have.

Got a Tang big mistake. It died. Should have done more research

Terrible bacteria bloom that took 2 months to overcome. Bought corals from TCD no need to say more.

All is finally going well. Except I have a Dsuny Light and my Zoas wont open. I cant quite get the light figured out. I have it set on the pre programmed light schedule. They attempt to open but never do. I have several and I think they are dying. If I could find help that would be great.
IMG_4801[1].JPG
IMG_4802[1].JPG

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

Glad to be here!

I'm new and I have had terrible problems getting my 55 going. Been up since July. Rushed and shouldn't have.

Got a Tang big mistake. It died. Should have done more research

Terrible bacteria bloom that took 2 months to overcome. Bought corals from TCD no need to say more.

All is finally going well. Except I have a Dsuny Light and my Zoas wont open. I cant quite get the light figured out. I have it set on the pre programmed light schedule. They attempt to open but never do. I have several and I think they are dying. If I could find help that would be great.
IMG_4801[1].JPG
IMG_4802[1].JPG
Try dosing vitamin C , use the search bar for threads on it on here !

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome to R2R.

I am not familiar with the fixture, can you dim the fixture? If so what % are you running it at?

Do not worry I am pretty sure we can trouble shoot your tanks issues.

OP
OP
Syunger

Syunger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity is 1.025, Ammonia was a little high till yesterday when I did a water change. Back on track.

I started with dry rock.

The lights start out low and scale up through the day and back down in the evening and off at night.

I run a canister that is religiously cleaned. Has bio home compete marine media in it and a bag of chempure.

Reef Octopus Skimmer
3 power heads
2 heaters
temperature controller
UV Filter

I have an Urchin, 4 Crabs, 2 Clowns, 1 Damsel, 1 Candy Cane Goby (well that's what I call it has strips like a candy cane) Its shrimp didnt survive when I went from a 35 to the 55. Had a cleaner shrimp but Ive not seen it since I put it in. I'm concerned about those crabs.

Last edited:

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were you I would invest in some salifert or red sea test kits, they're a little pricey but they are way more accurate than the API kits. You may be getting a false positive with the ammonia part but phosphate may be a little high as well. How are the zoas behaving today after the water change?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were you I would invest in some salifert or red sea test kits, they're a little pricey but they are way more accurate than the API kits. You may be getting a false positive with the ammonia part but phosphate may be a little high as well. How are the zoas behaving today after the water change?
+1 on the salifert kits. Used to use API, now use Salifert, and i'll never go back :)

OP
OP
Syunger

Syunger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like they are trying. Yeah I don't like those test kits either. I'm waiting on a Milwaukee salinity to arrive and I've thought of buying the Hanna Ammonia checker

IMG_4804[1].JPG

IMG_4805[1].JPG

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
!!! Welcome to R2R !!! Like your rock setup for a 55g. I would suggest the same like the other members, get other test kit than API. I got Salifert and everything change for good.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 5.9%
Back