New Zoanthid Predator. No, seriously....

ErinStecher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,

I swear this is something new. Okay, maybe it's just aiptasia. I want you to see if there's something I'm missing though. I added a colony of Pink Hippos (zoas) to my tank about 2 months ago. Before adding, I dipped in Coral Rx (standard procedure). I had second thoughts about this frag, though, because instead of being on a frag plug, it was in a clam shell. The colony was so pretty and I was so happy to have them I didn't remove them, though I did blast them with Coral Rx water....

Over the last couple of months, I have been watching the polyps disintegrate one by one. It has been looking like zoa-eating nudis or even spiders. They lose a bit of flesh over a few days then disappear. I have about a hundred colonies of high-end zoas (in addition to some newbies coming from the WWC live sale), so I decided to pull these out and re-dip, this time in freshwater. Before doing so, I stuck them under my microscope and took some video.

My first thought was aiptasia, because these guys seem to have a foot and hold on to something. But then as I watched the way it moved, I thought it couldn't be. Plus, each of these guys is the size of one zoa skirt "frond", smaller than an aiptasia would be.

Then, after I FW dipped them, and grabbed some pics. Take a look - tell me if you guys have any ideas. I pulled 3 of this exact same organism off this frag. I pulled a few adjacent frags out of my tank and dipped - nothing came off at all - but I would really like some ID because if there are any more of these in my tank it will be just short of a disaster.

First is a video of one of them alive. It's 11 minutes long - just watch the first 2 minutes so you can see how it moves. 2nd is a video of the dead creatures after a FW dip. Below that are a couple of still shots. I would love any ideas! Thanks guys!

WIN_20181203_01_12_12_Pro.jpg

WIN_20181203_01_08_24_Pro.jpg

WIN_20181203_01_11_44_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ErinStecher

ErinStecher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At first I thought they were like these weird mini aiptasia that took over my tank last year.

But then I saw it has a body. I have zero idea what that is.

@KJ?[/QUOTE]

It certainly does move in the same manner as this one in your video. I went and scraped some little aiptasias off my fuge wall and put them under the scope - they appeared totally different. So maybe it is some sort of anemone-creature, but different than regular aiptasia? The thing that gets me is that they have clearly been predatory over this specific frag of zoas. Where aiptasia stings things they don't seem to move to specifically prey on something else; the sting seems to just be a defense of their own territory. I wish I had taken video of the 2nd live one I saw - it was hiding under the zoa. Not hiding under it reaching out for the light, but hiding like a zoa eating nudi would. I'm so perplexed.

Back