Newbie is this a coral or just putty?

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So update! I have noticed these on one of my rocks. After some googling I think they are protopalys rather than Zoa’s? Sorry for the crap pics they are small!

I also read that most people seem to not like them in their tank and remove them? They grow like crazy or something and kill zoa’s?
When good stuff just shows up, that's one of the great pleasures in this hobby. I absolutely would not remove it. Kinda orange looking, maybe it's a bam bam and will spread like mad.

OP
OP
V

vdubers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the help. I am happy to be patient I am going away in October so will be at least another 4 weeks before I consider adding fish (think I will go with a pair of clowns first).

This week I have settled on my scape. It’s probably not the best but I’m not the most creative so it will do .

Attachments

• 99B761D3-1972-4DEB-82EF-EE00D033A0B1.jpeg
    99B761D3-1972-4DEB-82EF-EE00D033A0B1.jpeg
    177.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 9F5FB095-369F-40DD-975B-635080DAF543.jpeg
    9F5FB095-369F-40DD-975B-635080DAF543.jpeg
    120.2 KB · Views: 33
OP
OP
V

vdubers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When good stuff just shows up, that's one of the great pleasures in this hobby. I absolutely would not remove it. Kinda orange looking, maybe it's a bam bam and will spread like mad.
I would love it to turn out to be a bam bam! The orange Zoa’s are some of my favourites!

Yeah being new to marine having only had freshwater before anything alive is pretty exciting to me

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get that they are hardy but everyone starts with clowns which I think is a mistake. They are obnoxious and make adding other fish difficult.

mjszos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the help. I am happy to be patient I am going away in October so will be at least another 4 weeks before I consider adding fish (think I will go with a pair of clowns first).

This week I have settled on my scape. It’s probably not the best but I’m not the most creative so it will do .
I dig the Aquascape!

OP
OP
V

vdubers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get that they are hardy but everyone starts with clowns which I think is a mistake. They are obnoxious and make adding other fish difficult.

Yeah that's fair I had read that they can be obnoxious. I'm not totally set on them first. I just figured I do want some at some point, they are hardy, not too expensive, and available at my LFS.

I am open to other suggestions though! I will put up a new thread nearer the time but its 300 litres without the sump.

OP
OP
V

vdubers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dig the Aquascape!
Thanks I had these big plans in my head and spent multiple attempts over several days trying to make it work outside the tank. In the end I just started adding rocks with the idea of lots of caves and access around the back with a decent area for swimming towards the front and it all just came together.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back