Newbie looking for light advice.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol didn’t see this. Yes I have yet to mount them on my tank as I’m still waiting for the mount. Though so far I can say they are insane quality. The metal is super nice and the leds are even stronger than I expected
That is the one thing I noticed was the mounting, I like mine off either end of (rimmed tank) as a simple bar. Noticed several saying they were easier to mount overhead off cable assembly that is available etc? I cant do that or the wife will shoot me lol. Was debating developing my own mount system, but stock seemed really low everywhere for a decent price (48 inch). The Blue was available but not the daylight, wanted both.
Ended up going with a bluetooth programmable Fluval setup. Not as powerful, but happy with thusfar also good reviews. I just needed a bit of something to kick beyond the T5's a notch.
Good to hear you are happy with the quality of manufacturing on the Orphik. Can't blame you one bit for that purchase at the price.

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the one thing I noticed was the mounting, I like mine off either end of (rimmed tank) as a simple bar. Noticed several saying they were easier to mount overhead off cable assembly that is available etc? I cant do that or the wife will shoot me lol. Was debating developing my own mount system, but stock seemed really low everywhere for a decent price (48 inch). The Blue was available but not the daylight, wanted both.
Ended up going with a bluetooth programmable Fluval setup. Not as powerful, but happy with thusfar also good reviews. I just needed a bit of something to kick beyond the T5's a notch.
Good to hear you are happy with the quality of manufacturing on the Orphik. Can't blame you one bit for that purchase at the price.
I’ve found 2 options
A) if tanks rim is smaller then .78 in then you can use the Orphek universal Atlantik mount.
B. Or use This https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/universal-hybrid-light-hanging-fixture-aquatic-life.html

C) I didn’t buy my OR3s from a retail company, I bought straight from orphek

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude I didn’t say radions are better than t5s I said they are better than kessils.
I personally use T5s with my radions. In fact if he does go with the T5 option I would suggest the ATI. Another similar option is the Orphek OR3s which I just bought for my 29g. Here are some pics.
Yeah, sorry, I apologize. I was eating and reading at the same time and made a mistake... I dislike Radions regardless.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I don't think AI makes the hydra 26 or 52 anymore, and they would be significantly over the OP's 200-250$ budget.
The Orphek would also be 320$

@armandoarturo , do you want LED? T5? Are you looking at any specific lights currently?
They’re out there used at $150-200
Orphek 120 average $185

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, sorry, I apologize. I was eating and reading at the same time and made a mistake... I dislike Radions regardless.
No problem, I just inherited them from my brother who worked at vivid and was one of Dave’s main men. I hold great respect of his opinion and have trusted that they both use these lights as their first choice.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem, I just inherited them from my brother who worked at vivid and was one of Dave’s main men. I hold great respect of his opinion and have trusted that they both use these lights as their first choice.
It's all about their propaganda. After Sanjay got some of their pucks and placed over his reef all those guys automatically accepted, I guess. Just a cheap shiny plastic box with pucks accompanied of a nice Apple looking PDF to back their nice package IMO. I'm sorry, I just don't appreciate their approach comparing their x-mas lights to the other serious lights in the hobby. Anyway...
Tell your brother I recommended Dave to bring back those halides. He should know better by now.

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's all about their propaganda. After Sanjay got some of their pucks and placed over his reef all those guys automatically accepted, I guess. Just a cheap shiny plastic box with pucks accompanied of a nice Apple looking PDF to back their nice package IMO. I'm sorry, I just don't appreciate their approach comparing their x-mas lights to the other serious lights in the hobby. Anyway...
Tell your brother I recommended Dave to bring back those halides. He should know better by now.
Still vivid’s corals look great!! Also now that I have some in becoming a big fan of Orphek

RickSanford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I’ll add $.02 here. All lights mentioned heretofore will do a good job so long as there are reasonable expectations for what you plan to add to your mixed reef.

In my case, I started a 48x24x30 mixed reef in March of ‘20. The tank was a Christmas present - and decidedly a surprise. I’d done a lot of thinking about sump configuration, return pump, skimmer, circulation pumps, controller & dosers. I hadn’t gotten to the point of lighting during the pre-tank daydreaming.

My eventual lighting solution will be triple high-end LED fixtures. The $3.5k it will take to purchase them wasn’t an investment I wanted to make until I was positive I was going to ‘stick with’ the mixed reef. After tons of research, I decided on the Maxspect Razor X 300. I couldn’t be happier with the choice - which some might argue would be too underpowered for a 30” deep tank. Careful placement of SPS, LPS & softies have enabled virtually everything to flourish.

The Razor X 150 would give you all the controllability (Wi-Fi, built-in controller, ramping, individual spectrum control, phone/tablet app) of the higher end LED units at a price that is inline with the T5 solution you’re considering.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 49 52.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.6%
Back