Mounting arm $100 each
($400x2)+($100x2) = $1,000

AI Prime 32's are also $375 each unit
Mounting arm $100 each
Built in contoller
($375x2) + ($100x2) = $950

Nicrew 100w is $135 each unit
Mounting arm included
Kessil controller (can contol up to 12 units.. i may need to buy a cable for $25)
($135x2)+$100+$25= $395

Note: my prices may be slightly off... not the math but the prices...

Rationale:

I plan on keeping some LPS and Softies. Maybe some SPS.

From the looks of it, the lights meet the par requirements to grow corals.

The nicrew comes with a 1 year warranty, not sure what kind of warranty the "branded" lights come with.

I am sure there will be folks who say 'well you get what you pay for' etc.

Next time you are at your local fish store look at the lights they have on the 'display' tank or on top of the coral; the corals survive, some thrive. Also want to make a point that i am not planning on keeping high end corals that cost ridiculous amounts. Maybe, just maybe, i can put the $500 saved towards getting enough coral and fish to stock the tank? Maybe some GME stock? Haha
Go with the Nicrew’s they get the job done

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using round figures below

Reef breeders $400 each unit
Mounting arm $100 each
($400x2)+($100x2) = $1,000

AI Prime 32's are also $375 each unit
Mounting arm $100 each
Built in contoller
($375x2) + ($100x2) = $950

Nicrew 100w is $135 each unit
Mounting arm included
Kessil controller (can contol up to 12 units.. i may need to buy a cable for $25)
($135x2)+$100+$25= $395

Note: my prices may be slightly off... not the math but the prices...

Rationale:

I plan on keeping some LPS and Softies. Maybe some SPS.

From the looks of it, the lights meet the par requirements to grow corals.

The nicrew comes with a 1 year warranty, not sure what kind of warranty the "branded" lights come with.

I am sure there will be folks who say 'well you get what you pay for' etc.

Next time you are at your local fish store look at the lights they have on the 'display' tank or on top of the coral; the corals survive, some thrive. Also want to make a point that i am not planning on keeping high end corals that cost ridiculous amounts. Maybe, just maybe, i can put the $500 saved towards getting enough coral and fish to stock the tank? Maybe some GME stock? Haha
Not to mention that Nicrew is supposed to be releasing their 0-10V controller in April. That will likely be less expensive than the Kessil Spectral Controller. Bang per buck, the Nicrew is a solid contender!

Mikosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to mention that Nicrew is supposed to be releasing their 0-10V controller in April. That will likely be less expensive than the Kessil Spectral Controller. Bang per buck, the Nicrew is a solid contender!
Yup

Not sure how good it will be, i would be willing to give it a shot if i dont have the kessil controller by then.

Mikosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received the 100w and the mounting bracket is slightly too short to fit on a 90 gallon rimmed marineland tank. See picture attached.

Mailed nicrew support. Hoping they will develop a new bracket.

Attachments

• 20210223_143401.jpg
    20210223_143401.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 312

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received the 100w and the mounting bracket is slightly too short to fit on a 90 gallon rimmed marineland tank. See picture attached.

I had a similar issue and had to modify the trim on my tank AND the little nuts on the ends of the screws. Took a while, but was able to get it to work. A new bracket would be great!

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

stanlalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't think it fits any rimmed without modification (even though they say it does). That lip on the rim has to be Dremeled off so the surface is flat. At least that's what I had to do to fit it on my biocube

stepho725

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well, I've seen that they didn't fit a rimmed Tetra and now a Marineland...I am getting my light in tomorrow. Here's hoping it will fit my 40B Aqueon lol. I only bought it over a black box because of the bracket!! EEK!

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I've seen that they didn't fit a rimmed Tetra and now a Marineland...I am getting my light in tomorrow. Here's hoping it will fit my 40B Aqueon lol. I only bought it over a black box because of the bracket!! EEK!
If not, don't underestimate the value of black Legos. You can stack a few and use them as a spacer between the screws and the glass. Just tighten the mount screws against the Legos and done.

stepho725

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If not, don't underestimate the value of black Legos. You can stack a few and use them as a spacer between the screws and the glass. Just tighten the mount screws against the Legos and done.
Ah well that isn't a bad idea. I may be going on a Lego run tomorrow night! and I'll be honest, I don't care what color they are at this color. The smaller Duplo block might be the better block for this job, no? How wide of a space are we talking? TIA!

Mikosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a solution.

This is on a 30 gallon tank. Its the perfect solution.

If anyone is interested in buying from me let me know. $9 each plus cost of shipping.

Ill try to get this on amazon or on the marketplace here. Not sure how to use the classifieds section.

20210224_201706.jpg

Last edited:

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can the Nicrew hyper reef 150w just plug into any normal $20 light timer for turning off/on.

I getting confused that these lights must be powered by specific controllers.....is this true?

Cause if that’s true, that would just be junk to me.

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can the Nicrew hyper reef 150w just plug into any normal $20 light timer for turning off/on.

I getting confused that these lights must be powered by specific controllers.....is this true?

Cause if that’s true, that would just be junk to me.
Yes, you can just plug the light into a standard Light timer or smart switch. This will allow you to turn it on and off. There are onboard controls to change the intensity of the white and blue channels independently, though the control is rudimentary.

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a solution.

If anyone is interested in buying from me let me know. $9 each plus cost of shipping.

Ill try to get this on amazon or on the marketplace here. Not sure how to use the classifieds section.

20210224_201706.jpg
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that looks like a simple piece of acrylic. If that is the case, $9+shipping seems steep when $0.50 in legos will do the trick just as well.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you can just plug the light into a standard Light timer or smart switch. This will allow you to turn it on and off. There are onboard controls to change the intensity of the white and blue channels independently, though the control is rudimentary.
Thank you for your straight forward answer.
Just looking for on/off.

Mikosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that looks like a simple piece of acrylic. If that is the case, $9+shipping seems steep when $0.50 in legos will do the trick just as well.
I did not try the lego because i was worried about the weight distribution of the screws putting strain on a single spot on the glass. This solution spreads out the pressure points.

This solution is also clear/not noticeable while evenly distributing the load.

This is also turn key for the buyer and works on most mounts that generally do not fit on a rimmed tank.

I have a

HIPARGERO LED Aquarium Light​

And this solution also works on the hipagero.

No cutting, sanding etc. Pretty much turn key. Shipped to your home. Still cheaper than buying another mount or going with a branded light.

zudo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just using a power-strip with a built in timer for now but they say in April they will release their own lighting controller to give all of the normal features reefers seem to want; although I think corals do just fine with an on/off?

stepho725

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a solution.

20210224_201706.jpg
I have a solution.

20210224_201706.jpg
I'm confused how does this work when I cannot get the bracket below the rim? I cannot see in your photo how that is working. Confused here.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back