Nicrew Hyper Reef Led

Mikosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, So I just ordered 2 of the 100W version along with a Kessil Spectral Controller X. I will be using these over my 40B. I should have the lights in a couple days and will get PAR readings by next weekend.
I was looking and seems like the spectral controller x is USB and not 3.5mm.... how did you use this combo? Any pics?

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking and seems like the spectral controller x is USB and not 3.5mm.... how did you use this combo? Any pics?
It actually has both. The USB is used to control the Kessil's, but it also has a 3.5mm for 0-10V control of other lights. I just plugged a 3.5mm cable into the jack on the Spectral Controller X and ran it to the Light. Then ran another between the lights. Each light has a 0-10V in and 0-10V out.

iMi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know the PAR values for the HyperReef 30 at 6" and 12" by any chance? The manufacturer responded to my question and said they didn't know and didn't measure. Definitely did not fill me with confidence, so I may return it.

I moved some zoas down because they were closing up. I think it's too bright mid-tank. Everything else looks happier actually versus the Fluval 3.0 Nano, which I liked but felt it was underpowered.

Sarcazian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my 50W in today. It's going over a Waterbox 10, excited to get it up and running (putting stand together now).

Let us know how it goes / went!

I am considering the 50W for my Evo 13.5 vs. AI Prime's. The Hydros 4 should be able to handle the dimming via the 0-10, so saving $100 or so is interesting.

To those using the 0-10v port, can you customize the % however you wish or are you still restricted to presets?

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am considering the 50W for my Evo 13.5 vs. AI Prime's. The Hydros 4 should be able to handle the dimming via the 0-10, so saving $100 or so is interesting.

To those using the 0-10v port, can you customize the % however you wish or are you still restricted to presets?
With the 0-10V control you are able to dim each channel independently from 1-100%. That said, 1% is still far too bright to be used as moonlighting.

Soylent Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is kind of goes out to everyone who is looking for alternate lights - I started a thread where I'm comparing different lights over an EVO 13.5. Right here: Nano Light Battle Royale . I'm Comparing the stock light vs AI Prime vs Hipargo. After a month I'll switch some lights out for some others to compare growths with those.

Regarding the 50W - I'm super impressed with it. Feels sturdy, the aluminum mounting arms are adjustable, and the way they have the color adjustments per channel makes it really easy to get the coloration you're looking for. I've got some pics over my WB10 build thread here: Waterbox 10 w/Nicrew 50 Watt

iMi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is kind of goes out to everyone who is looking for alternate lights - I started a thread where I'm comparing different lights over an EVO 13.5. Right here: Nano Light Battle Royale . I'm Comparing the stock light vs AI Prime vs Hipargo. After a month I'll switch some lights out for some others to compare growths with those.

Regarding the 50W - I'm super impressed with it. Feels sturdy, the aluminum mounting arms are adjustable, and the way they have the color adjustments per channel makes it really easy to get the coloration you're looking for. I've got some pics over my WB10 build thread here: Waterbox 10 w/Nicrew 50 Watt
Awesome, thanks for sharing your feedback.

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another note for those looking at getting this light. It has been noted that the fans on these are rather loud. I decided to see what would be involved to install a quieter fan, but found that it is not just a simple plug and play computer fan, as I had expected. Unfortunately, this means there is no easy way to swap fans. However, I found that by simply removing the plastic cover that sits on top of the fixture, The fan runs less often, and is WAY quieter. This doesn't affect the function of the light in any way, and really doesn't change the aesthetic appeal either, IMO.

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does everyone think I would need for a 20 long with SPS? I have 2 Aquaknight A029 over the tank now and they do great. I need a light for my frag tank so I was thinking about moving 1 off the 10 long and just getting new lights for the 20 long.

Last edited:

stanlalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biocube 6 month growth update. 80% blue/40% white on 12n to 10pm. The latest pic is with Coralvue orange filter. I have NO complaints with it's performance although a plug and play controller designed for it would be nice for dusk/dawn effect (for me not the livestock).

20200913_144937.jpg 20210308_205615.jpg 20210309_205907.jpg

Last edited:

Mark917

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone running dual 50's on a 40B? I have them on my 40 now and not sure if I undershot it. Softies and LPS. Only SPS I am interested in at this point is anacropora.

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone running dual 50's on a 40B? I have them on my 40 now and not sure if I undershot it. Softies and LPS. Only SPS I am interested in at this point is anacropora.
I am running dual 100W on my 40b. I only have the blues maxing @ 50% and whites @ 20%, so I think 2 x 50W would be plenty for your planned stocking. The only possible issues are more shadowing and less coverage. I always aim for overkill with my LED's, I can always turn them down, but adding more is a pain and more expensive.

Mark917

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running dual 100W on my 40b. I only have the blues maxing @ 50% and whites @ 20%, so I think 2 x 50W would be plenty for your planned stocking. The only possible issues are more shadowing and less coverage. I always aim for overkill with my LED's, I can always turn them down, but adding more is a pain and more expensive.
Agreed and thanks. I am early on here (4 months in) and all corals are in QT for another couple weeks. There is significant light falloff/shadow on the ends of the tank (what does not help this is that I had to set the lights in a little more towards center since I drilled the overflow on the right side of tank :().

I'd like to do it right so I may just order the 100' s or I may just see if my coral placement can work with the light setup. I do have them set at a lower height so that may be affecting my spread. What I SHOULD do to be certain is rent a par meter. I just don't want to spend another 7y0 bucks to only to find that I need to spend ~300 more for the 100's!.. Thanks again.

Soylent Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does everyone think I would need for a 20 long with SPS? I have 2 Aquaknight A029 over the tank now and they do great. I need a light for my frag tank so I was thinking about moving 1 off the 10 long and just getting new lights for the 20 long.
What's the budget? If you're putting something for a frag tank, these black boxes will be fine over a frag tank:165W Full Spectrum LEDs

Soylent Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a fun bit of info on these lights: They have gone up in price since they've been out. Digging into Amazon stuff, I found these charts on prices:
nicrew.jpg

What does this mean? It's selling really, really well. For the 50W, it's gone up 20% in three months. I'm going to go out on a limb and this new style of light might be the best bang for your buck for smaller tanks, with giving you the mounting/options that it does. When/if the controller comes out for the dusk/dawn.... oof, this is a good light.

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the budget? If you're putting something for a frag tank, these black boxes will be fine over a frag tank:165W Full Spectrum LEDs
The frag/grow out tank is on a 10 gallon. I had a black box over my 20 long and hated that it had to be soo high up over the tank. It look horrible in my opinion. I just cant justify spending $500 on lights for a 20 long with zoas, LPS, and a couple of simple SPS.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back