Nitrite levels

dwdoworkdw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One is of a tank that’s been cycled for years the other is in week 4 of cycle. Anyone know what the nitrite level is on the cycling tank? The color on the api kit doesn’t look like any of the color in the test tube lol

IMG_0970.jpeg IMG_0971.jpeg

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One is of a tank that’s been cycled for years the other is in week 4 of cycle. Anyone know what the nitrite level is on the cycling tank? The color on the api kit doesn’t look like any of the color in the test tube lol

IMG_0970.jpeg IMG_0971.jpeg
Why so little liquid in the vials? API is a 5 ml sample I believe. Or have you done the test correctly and this is just a little sample.

OP
OP
D

dwdoworkdw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why so little liquid in the vials? API is a 5 ml sample I believe. Or have you done the test correctly and this is just a little sample.
It’s a way bigger vial (I broke all the other ones) it’s 5ml just looks like less because the circumference of the huge vial

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a way bigger vial (I broke all the other ones) it’s 5ml just looks like less because the circumference of the huge vial
Do the colours make more sense if you look down through these massive vials, so you are looking through a similar amount of liquid to the original vial? I'm guessing you have tried that though. The only other things that spring to mind is some sort of contamination in the vial or an ancient test kit.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The test kits are designed to be read using the supplied vials.
You won't get an accurate color match with a different vial.

In any event, you don't need to worry about Nitrite if you're cycling a tank.
Just look for a positive reading with a Nitrate test.

Nitrite is harmless to Marine animals.

OP
OP
D

dwdoworkdw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the colours make more sense if you look down through these massive vials, so you are looking through a similar amount of liquid to the original vial? I'm guessing you have tried that though. The only other things that spring to mind is some sort of contamination in the vial or an ancient test kit.
Text kit is a few years old lol haven’t had to use it but it tests correct on the tank that’s been cycled forever. Does that other test color look abnormal to you as well on the non-cycled tank?

OP
OP
D

dwdoworkdw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The test kits are designed to be read using the supplied vials.
You won't get an accurate color match with a different vial.

In any event, you don't need to worry about Nitrite if you're cycling a tank.
Just look for a positive reading with a Nitrate test.

Nitrite is harmless to Marine animals.
Yeah nitrate is there and ammonia is basically gone now. The other tests show correct coloring except nitrite. I know that if there’s nitrite I’ll get an inaccurate reading but it still shows a valid color on the nitrate side lol

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 124 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back