OP
OP
MoreReef

MoreReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nah, you dont have to test, but knowing pH tells alot. its probably the one test that i think tells more than others. pH helps with how fast corals grow, can be a cause for retraction, etc. it will also tell you if keeping a lid on it is as beneficial as keeping it off. the only benefit of having a lid on would be to slow evap, but evap is happening anyway, just at different rates. however, keeping a lid on will hinder gas exchange, which can change the pH of a tank. if things are going fine, it probably doesnt matter, and your attitude tells us that no amount of info anyone says, will change what youre doing anyway, so take it for what its worth.
testing pH at least once will give you a baseline to know if yrou coral growth is maximized or not, and will tell you if de-lid will benefit you, but that will make you go against everything that you dont want to do
Hmmm... maybe I'
i have found that temp swings create other swings as well. i have found with raising and lowering of temps, salinity rises and drops, pH will also be effected a bit as well. i use an apex, so i can see a correlation through the day with the raising and lowering of water temp.
And you trust it ? Serious question now. Lol. Just asking because I've heard the pH probes on the apex could get iffy sometimes. What should I test that with ? If I were to... lol

radfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny how such a troll can get so many responses...

Very irresponsible keeping of animals if this guy is for real.

OP
OP
MoreReef

MoreReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also, to mention quick, since you have a tailspot in there, if you do remove the lid, make sure you have some sort of aerated cover. eggcrate, or screen, or whatever. ive never seen it too much with my blennies, but they could decide that they want to try their hand at being mammals, and leave teh tank, so a cover is still recommended
Lol thanks man

OP
OP
MoreReef

MoreReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the sticking point is if a tank never matures you'll have to do the constant WCs forever. It does seem like a costly way to maintain a tank if it's of any size but chasing g stability in most small tanks is a constant regime of testing and dosing. Long term success is the measure of your technique. I really would like to see a pic a year from now.
Def a different approach... not too many fans of it either.... lol. Def will do!

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm... maybe I'

And you trust it ? Serious question now. Lol. Just asking because I've heard the pH probes on the apex could get iffy sometimes. What should I test that with ? If I were to... lol
ive heard the same, but have yet to see it myself. i dont rely on my apex for exact readings. digital readers of any type have to be calibrated, and thats fine. i mainly bought an apex so that i can have a way of taking a vacation without having to have a relative maintain something that they know nothing about. more specifically heat. i can use it to turn on fans manually if i want.
at this moment, and for the last month, i know my apex reads correctly because i can test it against a test kit and have it read the same.
i can see the history of my readings, and can say that if i see a reading that doesnt match the average, then i would tend to question it. until i see something like that, i dont have a need to test, or question it. if 6pm, and my ph is 7.8, then i know something is up. either the testing mechanism, or something with the water. on the other hand, if its 6 am and i have a pH of 8.1, i know something is up, and its probably the probe, but once i put this all into place, and it was running for a few days, everything has worked as it should. i have yet to see any issues that others have mentioned.

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess if you don’t care about the “why” or “how”then nothing is science. I know some microbiologists that would disagree that there isn’t much science behind reefing, @bill-nye any thoughts? :)
There are lots of people who don't care why. The ones who pay people to maintain their tanks. The ones who want the tank to look new all the time. Same as people who take a medicine and don't care how it works. A lucky few get results with little effort. In twenty years changing water everyday may be the new fad. There Certainly are things acceptable now that we're considered crazy 20 years back. He's gonna put a pic on here a year from today. Time will tell.

OP
OP
MoreReef

MoreReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does it get hotter at night and how are you recording that information to know?
I have no idea!!! And I used to keep tabs on it once... aloooong time ago. Lol
20220619_130649.jpg

OP
OP
MoreReef

MoreReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are lots of people who don't care why. The ones who pay people to maintain their tanks. The ones who want the tank to look new all the time. Same as people who take a medicine and don't care how it works. A lucky few get results with little effort. In twenty years changing water everyday may be the new fad. There Certainly are things acceptable now that we're considered crazy 20 years back. He's gonna put a pic on here a year from today. Time will tell.
5 years from now for that one guy who doubted me too... lol!!!

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea!!!
Your supposed to know these things!!!!!!!

Mine and most otgers goes up in the day when the light is on and cools down at night, with some controllers you could see it off a graph instead of single point values when you test it. I doubt that 5 min before your lights turn on for the day is the hottest time in your system.

My Example

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220619-161542.jpg
    Screenshot_20220619-161542.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 41
OP
OP
MoreReef

MoreReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your supposed to know these things!!!!!!!

Mine and most otgers goes up in the day when the light is on and cools down at night, with some controllers you could see it off a graph instead of single point values when you test it. I doubt that 5 min before your lights turn on for the day is the hottest time in your system.

My Example
I'm in reverse with night time peaking hottest. I'm ok at 79 right now and I'm do for a water change today so I'll probably test in a little bit but just for that though...

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In twenty years changing water everyday may be the new fad. There Certainly are things acceptable now that we're considered crazy 20 years back. He's gonna put a pic on here a year from today. Time will tell.
Point taken. Looking forward to a year of growth- not a year of resets. every coral looks good day 1 :) I’ll be in the variable group

Double monti 61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love these , it's funny to see them a year or two after these posts, its usually nonexistent, or not in the same glory. IMO There is no way you can run a successful reef tank without some sort of testing, heck you can't even have a nice pool without some sort of water testing......
My system is 4 years old and I have never did any testing but I do a 2 gallon water change weekly the tank is 15 gallons and I can’t say that everything I put in survived my current residence make it impossible to add more coral and I have a hermit crab and a platygyra that have been in the tank for about three and a half years.

Attachments

• 3C87CDB7-936D-4C75-9F3A-F8AE545DF193.jpeg
    3C87CDB7-936D-4C75-9F3A-F8AE545DF193.jpeg
    168.5 KB · Views: 32
  • E05D8F63-0EED-4000-89DF-7D70E458FF9D.jpeg
    E05D8F63-0EED-4000-89DF-7D70E458FF9D.jpeg
    115.6 KB · Views: 33

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 57 40.4%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back