No tests... ever.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't suggest anyone take the same approach. But... it's working. Tank is 8 months. Any questions... ask away lol.
20220618_162409.jpg
20220618_162240.jpg
20220618_162253.jpg

There is a difference between thriving and surviving.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a local reefer near me that test nothing other than temp. His tanks look great. WC every two weeks using college filter salt water.

I have a tank that I don't test, other than salinity on occasion. I don't even do water changes that often.

But it doesn't have SPS in it. It has anemones and a couple of soft coral, things that don't use cal/alk or many trace minerals etc. And I just let the algae grow in it, because it also don't have any filtration other than a hob skimmer.

I would never in a million years consider treating my 180g mixed reef the same way.

OP
OP
MoreReef

MoreReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tank that I don't test, other than salinity on occasion. I don't even do water changes that often.

But it doesn't have SPS in it. It has anemones and a couple of soft coral, things that don't use cal/alk or many trace minerals etc. And I just let the algae grow in it, because it also don't have any filtration other than a hob skimmer.

I would never in a million years consider treating my 180g mixed reef the same way.
Lol... ok I guess. Surviving... lol you have noticed they're frags and a few have started to encrust rockwork... you know that doesn't happen overnight... but ... I wouldn't expect you to treat your tank the same way I treat these Nanos. It doesn't apply...

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet... have you ever tried anything like what I'm doing ? If so... what were your findings. If not. Why??? Thanks for sharing
So if I apply this to my current situation then I should be well off... till something arises then I'll deal with that. I've been putting in a fair amount of work into that thing

over 20 years doing this you learn - it’s all science and biology
- you don’t know what you dont know.
- lots of people know way more than you do
- regular testing saves lives and keeping a record of it either on paper, spreadsheets or an app so you can spot trends or go back and figure out stuff if something changes.
- waterchanges are great but it’s labor, depending on the size and frequency can be very costly, and if your always mixing small batch you run the risk of bad or improper mixes.
- glass hydrometer for testing salinity.
- the part in bold - do you really want to jeopardize all the hard work you put into your reef by not knowing what’s going on. Testing saves lives.

OP
OP
MoreReef

MoreReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
over 20 years doing this you learn - it’s all science and biology
- you don’t know what you dont know.
- lots of people know way more than you do
- regular testing saves lives and keeping a record of it either on paper, spreadsheets or an app so you can spot trends or go back and figure out stuff if something changes.
- waterchanges are great but it’s labor, depending on the size and frequency can be very costly, and if your always mixing small batch you run the risk of bad or improper mixes.
- glass hydrometer for testing salinity.
- the part in bold - do you really want to jeopardize all the hard work you put into your reef by not knowing what’s going on. Testing saves lives.
Lol... well if you would go back and look at my other responses you would know that I kept records for a long time until I no longer felt I needed to. I'm not arguing the science and biology of it.

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I forgot - test your new waterchange water so you know your parameters are close to your tank, or if they need to be adjusted

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love these , it's funny to see them a year or two after these posts, its usually nonexistent, or not in the same glory. IMO There is no way you can run a successful reef tank without some sort of testing, heck you can't even have a nice pool without some sort of water testing......
Not even a year and they hit the emergency post of what’s happening to my tank ! Everything is diying and someone will ask “what’s your parameters “ and they will respond , “ my parameters are good “ or “perfect “ even . But then we’re supposed to guess what’s happened . I would think that with a small tank it would be more crucial to be on top of testing as it would take as much to move parameters in a larger tank . Hey I know a lot over people say they don’t test and that’s fine . Even the best chefs test their food for taste .

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not even a year and they hit the emergency post of what’s happening to my tank ! Everything is diying and someone will ask “what’s your parameters “ and they will respond , “ my parameters are good “ or “perfect “ even . But then we’re supposed to guess what’s happened . I would think that with a small tank it would be more crucial to be on top of testing as it would take as much to move parameters in a larger tank . Hey I know a lot over people say they don’t test and that’s fine . Even the best chefs test their food for taste .
everything is fine, good, and doing great...until it isnt

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I guess no testing and a bunch of acros in a nano will possibly some people off on here... PSA your reef keeping methods on a 50 gal + DOES NOT apply to a tank this size. You should know this by now. It is NOT necessary to test a tank so small. And ALOT easier to keep parameters stable in such a confined space... any question regarding lighting/flow/filtration/maintenance etc will be happily answered.
Well, you don’t know if your parameters are stable, because you don’t test. We get people like you here all the time, people who’ve been in the hobby less than a year, who think they’ve cracked the code, who make these kind of outlandish posts, who then make flippant and obstinate replies when they’re challenged on what they think they know. You leave out the incredibly relevant part that you do big water changes every other day, and when it’s pointed out that it’s misleading to omit that information from your initial claim, you say it’s not misleading and then make the audaciously disingenuous claim that it’s the audience’s fault for not asking about it. You go on to make a bunch of other equally obnoxious claims, from the frankly absurd (‘there’s not much science behind keeping a reef tank’), the objectively untrue (‘it’s stable and mature’). There’s no point in even trying to actually discuss the topic, because you’re not interested in discussion, you wanted to make a statement you knew would receive pushback (and rightly so) and then condescend to people with your months of experience. These kind of posts always get a lot of attention, but they’re kind of just boring and predictable at this point. It would be forgivable to make an intentionally provocative, antagonistic post if it was actually a new or interesting take. But it’s not. It’s like someone posting that they’re keeping a tang in a tiny tank and claiming it’s been ‘fat and happy’ for six whole months. It’s just exhausted, obvious bait.

OP
OP
MoreReef

MoreReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I kept a record of that a long time ago. Diff equipment and different rocks were in place... lol why are you guys so fixated on the "science" part. I was just saying alot of people on here treat their reef tanks as a science project... which in my opinion. It isn’t... and as long as you have a healthy bio load then I guess that scratches the biological aspec...

OP
OP
MoreReef

MoreReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol... the fact that people assume that I will be in that same boat is what gets me. Lol all tanks are different and no one goes about maintaining their system the same way you do... I don't think any of those results apply to my situation because well... it's easy they're not the same tank... lol and until issues arise I think I will go about doing the same thing I'm doing right now... maybe it wouldn't work for you. Idk... because idk your tank...

OP
OP
MoreReef

MoreReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm how else could I put this... I feel like experiences and results are unique and only apply to the tanks to which they occur... no 2 systems are alike. Unless they're all somehow connected but that's different... lol.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 34 19.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 133 76.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.4%
Back