Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know.. I keep thinking something has to be wrong LOL
Screenshot 2021-01-02 16.28.59.png
Mate - something looks off here.

400ml daily of reef code B on a 300G tank means you are adding 3 dkh per day, that is insane even for heavily stocked SPSs.

Whats your tanks Alk/ CA/mg level at right now? Do you get a ton of precipitation? If so, thats a lot of wasted dosage and your tank actually needs a lot less.

Also, is that 8.9ph reading correct? Even in perfect (unelevated) co2 levels (co2 lowers ph) a 8.9 ph would in theory mean that ur alk is somewhere north of 20 dkh...

I would check your params now - if all the readings are correct then something is off here. Normal recommended SPS levels are 8.3 ph, 8 to 9 dkh, 450 calc, and 1350 mg.

Last edited:

syilk1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mate - something looks off here.

400ml daily of reef code B on a 300G tank means you are adding 3 dkh per day, that is insane even for heavily stocked SPSs.

Whats your tanks Alk/ CA/mg level at right now? Do you get a ton of precipitation? If so, thats a lot of wasted dosage and your tank actually needs a lot less.

Also, is that 8.9ph reading correct? Even in perfect (unelevated) co2 levels (co2 lowers ph) a 8.9 ph would in theory mean that ur alk is somewhere north of 20 dkh...

I would check your params now - if all the readings are correct then something is off here. Normal recommended SPS levels are 8.3 ph, 8 to 9 dkh, 450 calc, and 1350 mg.
LOL I use BRS 2 part.. My DKH is fairly rock solid at 8.5 to 8.3 and calcium is 420. Mag... I haven't checked in years.... I always wondered if I had precipitation but never see any... I have a guy who helps clean aquariums and its what he does for a living says he sees lots of guys with tanks my size use that much. Would love to be wrong lol. I also do 50-60 gallon water changes every 2 weeks.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL I use BRS 2 part.. My DKH is fairly rock solid at 8.5 to 8.3 and calcium is 420. Mag... I haven't checked in years.... I always wondered if I had precipitation but never see any... I have a guy who helps clean aquariums and its what he does for a living says he sees lots of guys with tanks my size use that much. Would love to be wrong lol. I also do 50-60 gallon water changes every 2 weeks.
O ok phew... yeah the BRS mix is more diluted - the dry powder i presume? I don't remember their exact concentration but do recall its about 1/2 the concentration of my home made soda ash mix. Mine sits around 10ml per dkh per 25g so BRS for your tank should be about roughly 1.7dkh if my math is right.

Your ph probe might be off then. 8 dkh should max out at about 8.4 ph under normal ambience co2 levels, unless you have some kind of special set up. Many tanks have the opposite problem with co2 too high and struggle to reach even 8ph at 8 dkh.

Either way you must be doing something right if corals are doing great!

syilk1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O ok phew... yeah the BRS mix is more diluted - the dry powder i presume? I don't remember their exact concentration but do recall its about 1/2 the concentration of my home made soda ash mix. Mine sits around 10ml per dkh per 25g so BRS for your tank should be about roughly 1.7dkh if my math is right.

Your ph probe might be off then. 8 dkh should max out at about 8.4 ph under normal ambience co2 levels, unless you have some kind of special set up. Many tanks have the opposite problem with co2 too high and struggle to reach even 8ph at 8 dkh.

Either way you must be doing something right if corals are doing great!
I haven't calibrated PH probes in a year or so either... I will do when I get home. I agree seems high. The lower PH probe is the newer one and thats the one I usually look at. The math you guys do on these forums always amazes me.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back