Nudibranches...please help!

BTB117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I discovered nudibranches eating my zoa colonies.

First instinct was to purchase a large Melanurus wrasse, but a week in and he still has shown no interest in the nudibranches or in any food yet. I am hoping this will change soon.

I removed all the large colonies and did a freshwater dip for 10 minutes. A lot of junk fell of the large colonies and they are now back in the tank and wide open.

I then decided to use flatworm exit immediately after on the tank, as I was worried some nudibranches were on the rocks. I dosed an entire bottle in a 55 gallon and the nudibranches did not dissolve like others have said. The ones I found seemingly stopped moving. I was expecting something more dramatic.

Corals had basically no reaction to the flatworm exit for anyone wondering. My product was 2 years from expiry date too, so I do not think it was old.

Anyway, how long would you advise I wait before repeating the flatworm exit treatment? I’ve read I need to repeat to catch the eggs. My hope is I can repeat once in 4 days and be done with it, but I do not have much info on the hatch time or the maturity time of these nudis. Any advice is appreciated!!

OP
OP
B

BTB117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flatworm and nudibranch are not the same thing

yes, it is widely spread throughout this forum and others that Flatworm Exit can be used to kill nudibranches. The tutorials I have read recommend a dramatic overdose to get the acquired effects. I tested it in a cup with a nudibranch and it seemed to work. Again, the nudibranch didn’t dissolve but totally stopped moving.

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to find this information can you please help me with a link
yes, it is widely spread throughout this forum and others that Flatworm Exit can be used to kill nudibranches. The tutorials I have read recommend a dramatic overdose to get the acquired effects. I tested it in a cup with a nudibranch and it seemed to work. Again, the nudibranch didn’t dissolve but totally stopped moving.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to find this information can you please help me with a link

Its been commonly used in the hobby for many years. Just google "flatworm exit zoa nudibranch" and you can find plenty of info on it.

To the OP: I have used successfully multiple times in a QT tank using FE every 3 days for 7 treatments (21 days). However I dont know if this is overkill or not (ie whether it is needed every 3 I cant say). In a small QT though the cost is negligible and concern for other impacts are lessened so I just go overboard.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read it does not kill the eggs, unfortunately.
I’ve found that nothing kills the eggs, you just have to dip repetitively until all the eggs hatch and you’re able to kill the babies before they reach breeding age or spread around your tank

OP
OP
B

BTB117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been commonly used in the hobby for many years. Just google "flatworm exit zoa nudibranch" and you can find plenty of info on it.

To the OP: I have used successfully multiple times in a QT tank using FE every 3 days for 7 treatments (21 days). However I dont know if this is overkill or not (ie whether it is needed every 3 I cant say). In a small QT though the cost is negligible and concern for other impacts are lessened so I just go overboard.
Thank you for sharing. I was hoping someone has tested the hatch time. I’ve read that it’s four days on one site but only one source. To continue treating my display for 21 days with chemicals sounds too risky. Moving to a QT at this point I don’t think is helpful either as I have spotted them occasionally on rocks. At any rate, I did serious serious damage to their population today :)

OP
OP
B

BTB117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone has confirmation of wiping nudibranches out in one hit of flatworm exit or two, much appreciated!

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That’s the first thing I did. But only searching r2r since op stated he found the info here

OP
OP
B

BTB117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As footgal said nothing kills the eggs. You have to treat multiple times
Yes, I understand that. The question is on the hatch time and the number of necessary treatments.

I’m hoping someone can verify that this is doable with minimal repetitions.

OP
OP
B

BTB117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those that are going through this, I will continuing documenting my plan and results.

My plan is to dose Flatworm Exit again 5 days apart from each treatment for a total of 3 times.

Fully stocked reef showed no signs of stress whatsoever from first treatment and I have not seen any nudibranches since. I emptied an entire bottle in my 55g as well.

Mason Michalski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those that are going through this, I will continuing documenting my plan and results.

My plan is to dose Flatworm Exit again 5 days apart from each treatment for a total of 3 times.

Fully stocked reef showed no signs of stress whatsoever from first treatment and I have not seen any nudibranches since. I emptied an entire bottle in my 55g as well.
There is so little information online, so I want to revive this thread to build on how to treat these for others.

So I am just curious what the process went like for you, how long did you leave it in the water column for? Did you run heavy carbon afterword's just incase? If so, how soon after dosing? Any affect on your pod population? What was the dosage you dosed over the course of those 15 days. I know this was back in April so no worries if you don't remember, but I assume this thread going quiet means you won.

I have seen horror stories of Flatworm Exit nuking tanks and causing crashes, feel like that needs to be verified or disproved if the right steps are taken, as it would be a valuable tool in fighting nudibranchs especially if no flatworms are present to release all those nasty toxins to begin with.

Last edited:

ZoaKiller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried a bit over 3x the recommended dose of non-expired FWE in my tank and it absolutely did not kill the Zoa eating Nudi.

I think most of the nuke stories come from people using the product in a sloppy manner or waiting way too late into a flatworm infestation and releasing too much toxin into the water. I had previously had red plan flatworms ( which is why I had FWE on hand) and caught the infestation pretty early on. Using 1.5 x the starting dose got me great results and doing a water change as directed and running double the ROX carbon I had no side effects and no flat worms since.

I am heartbroken about my new Zoa Eating Nudi issue as I don't think there's a reliable cure beyond dipping and for some that's not an option. @Mason Michalski

ZoaKiller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone has confirmation of wiping nudibranches out in one hit of flatworm exit or two, much appreciated!
If you find anymore definite eggs on frag plugs or easily removable rock can you please try a peroxide dip 50/50 tank water peroxide and see if that kills the eggs.

In my experience it appeared to but I wasn't able to visualize the eggs for sure before and after treatment. But... I think it destabilizes the slime coat that contains the eggs.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back