Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

Dl0reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reef2reef, a lot has happened since I was last active 3 months, but imma take it back about 3 years. About three years ago I got into the idea of having a saltwater tank and after saving all my money for about 6 months and I purchased a tank, rock, sand, heater, and quarantine tank set up as well as a couple of powerheads. I was determined to set up my tank and purchase my fish at the end of the week. That end of the week happened, as a result I put the whole tank on hold for a while. After moving houses in February 2019 and delaying the process even longer I purchased a whole new quarantine tank set up due to concerns of the first set up viability (I never took the water out and salt creep had been growing for at least 2 years) . Finally in May 2020 I purchased two tiny clownfish. I was excited and thought it'd be easy because I had been doing research for the past three years of my life. I was wrong. Second Day in I detected ich on both clownfish and treated with copper. I was 100% successful in the treatment. I forgot to mention I also purchased an AI Nero 5 and AI Prime Hd in April 2020 for the DT. After moving the clownfish to the Nuvo 20 they began acting weird. They would lay sideways in the corner. I read that it was normal clownfish behavior (which I would later find out it was due to high flow) and thought nothing of it. My tank was coming along great as I planned to purchase coral soon and one of my clownfish even began swimming on the bottom of the rockwork and I remember watching my tank with my mother one night and talking about the future of my tank. The next day I wake up in horror. My AI Nero 5 had decapitated my favorite clown (the one that swam by the rocks) and I found him floating by the return flow pump thingys. Heart broken, I decided to reestablish my quarantine tank and purchase two new fish, a royal gramma and new larger replacement clownfish. The first day the gramma was eating very well and the clownfish was my main concern. Two days later they were both eating and everything was fine until the next day I found the royal gramma laying down with no marks or reasonable cause of death. The clownfish continued through quarantine and graduated from quarantine and was relocated Saturday. My mother fed the two clownfish Saturday night and said they were both eating. The next day I found the new clown dead with 2 gashes on the side of face being sucked into the fish guard by the tail of the AI Nero that I purchased after the death of my first clown. I went to a new fish store about an hour away from my house and spoke with an employee who said it may of been from the stress caused by the extreme flow in my tank and the gashes resulted from his corpse hitting the rocks in my tank. I had been running my Nero 5 at 14% and thought nothing of it as I thought it would run at 490 GPH, however, according to the app it said 14% was at 900+ GPH. I turned off the Nero 5 and began witnessing the unbelievable. My clownfish who had only stayed at the top left corner for 5 months, swimming downwards, in my tank! My return pump is giving about 10x turnover rate, so it should be fine for the moment. So now I am here. I am wondering what fish, inverts, and coral y'all would recommend for my tank. I have a deep sand bed and would like some utilitarian fish, but I know most require a larger tank. I was thinking maybe a goby + pistol shrimp pair and maybe 2-3 more fish after that. Perhaps another clownfish. I have no current clean up crew so maintenance is done by me weekly involving a 10%-25% water change weekly with a sand and rock cleaning . Any recommendations on powerheads for my tank as well? I was looking at the Koralia nano 240 or 425 or maybe the Sicce Voyager nano stream 250. Let me know what yall suggest and I have a used nero 5 with a fishguard on sale for $150.
Best wishes- DL0REEF
(P.S I'm a highschool student in all Ap courses (meaning no time to work :( ... school takes me 12+hours some day) , so budget is fairly low for new powerhead. Also, should I start a YT channel for my reef tank?)

Sailfin11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quite a story with the Nero 5, definitely a little oversized for the Nuvo. Any of the those powerheads would work well - If I remember correctly, Sicce has a good warranty so maybe consider that as well.

OP
OP
D

Dl0reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quite a story with the Nero 5, definitely a little oversized for the Nuvo. Any of the those powerheads would work well - If I remember correctly, Sicce has a good warranty so maybe consider that as well.
Yeah I have a Sicce return pump and it silent and works amazing. Any recommendations for which model?

Sailfin11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have a Sicce return pump and it silent and works amazing. Any recommendations for which model?
I have this one and it's worked well for me (link). I'd recommend picking up an outlet timer (link), so its not constantly blasting - with the timer you can set it to turn on for 5 minutes and off for 5 min for example. I use those Wifi ones on my tank - they're awesome, like an Apex!

OP
OP
D

Dl0reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this one and it's worked well for me (link). I'd recommend picking up an outlet timer (link), so its not constantly blasting - with the timer you can set it to turn on for 5 minutes and off for 5 min for example. I use those Wifi ones on my tank - they're awesome, like an Apex!
I was thinking about ordering that Sicce pump and purchasing the Sicce pump controller later on. What size tank did you run the tank on and how did you program the amazon plug?

Sailfin11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used it on my 29 gallon a while ago. The timer from Amazon has an app that you can use to program it, I really like it.

OP
OP
D

Dl0reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used it on my 29 gallon a while ago. The timer from Amazon has an app that you can use to program it, I really like it.
Okay i'll be sure to check it out and consider it. Tomorrow I plan to go to my lfs and talk to him about what he recommends for my tank size as he sells both the sicce's and koralia's.

OP
OP
D

Dl0reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today I purchases
Today I purchased the Koralia 240 because my lfs had it on sale for cheap and it's the smallest option, so I thought there could be no way it could fail as I rather have very little flow than to much flow atm. I also purchased my First coral!!! A Candy Cane frag and a Duncan Coral frag. They both appear to be opening at the time of this writing. After placing the koralia in the tank I noticed the clownfish still having troubles with swimming. Is 370 GPH (at the highest) still to high for a clown? I feel like it's now just him being a really bad swimmer rather than the flow. I've seen 2 Koralias ran on a 25 with clownfish with no problem, so I'm really confused on what to do about the clown. Along with my visit to purchase coral I purchased a tiny yellow watchman goby that went straight to quarantine and I'm now having seconds thoughts about as I'm wondering if he'll have problems in the sand bed. I believe I have to suspect that he'll do fine as the sand is not blowing and very few pieces of debris are getting picked up by flow.

OP
OP
D

Dl0reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to feed him last night and he had problems grabbing the food. I'm not too sure if he ate :(.
So yesterday at 8:07 I saw my watchman goby in qt being his usual self and I threw in food and he didn't go after it which I thought was normal as he is getting adjusted to his new life. I go back at 10:30 and find him dead with no obvious reason of death. Water levels and temp were fine, so I'm confused what happened to him. My clownfish in my dt still isn't eating sadly :(. Ever since the other clown died last sunday he hasn't been eating like his pre-new clownfish introduction self. I put garlic on the food to see if it would entice him, but I haven't seen him go to town on it as I would like to see. I picked a wheeler's shrimp goby today and he's been a mess. I told the guy at the store what fish I wanted and he went to grab it and he jumped out of the tank onto floor. The worker than picked him up and put him in the bag and he was really jittery inside the bag swimming everywhere frantically. I acclimated him to my qt tank and he's been moving quickly and unnaturally leading me to believe he may die of stress, but I'm only thinking positive thoughts at the moment and telling myself he only jumped because he's healthy and he's only swimming everywhere because he's curious, so let's see where that goes. I tried to feed the goby today and when I stuck my hand in the qt tank he swam even more crazily and made an attempt to jump out but the lid blocked him and he hit his head and swam back inside and around more. This may seem quite obvious, but no he did not eat. I'm concerned with both my clown and new goby. In positive news my Duncan And Candy Cane seem to be having a blast both being opened up and I even saw the Duncan eat for the first time. What do y'all think I can do about this whole situation and any ways I can possible calm down my goby. The lights are off and I haven't been touching the tank. I only walk by to check on him every now and than.

Sailfin11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yesterday at 8:07 I saw my watchman goby in qt being his usual self and I threw in food and he didn't go after it which I thought was normal as he is getting adjusted to his new life. I go back at 10:30 and find him dead with no obvious reason of death. Water levels and temp were fine, so I'm confused what happened to him. My clownfish in my dt still isn't eating sadly :(. Ever since the other clown died last sunday he hasn't been eating like his pre-new clownfish introduction self. I put garlic on the food to see if it would entice him, but I haven't seen him go to town on it as I would like to see. I picked a wheeler's shrimp goby today and he's been a mess. I told the guy at the store what fish I wanted and he went to grab it and he jumped out of the tank onto floor. The worker than picked him up and put him in the bag and he was really jittery inside the bag swimming everywhere frantically. I acclimated him to my qt tank and he's been moving quickly and unnaturally leading me to believe he may die of stress, but I'm only thinking positive thoughts at the moment and telling myself he only jumped because he's healthy and he's only swimming everywhere because he's curious, so let's see where that goes. I tried to feed the goby today and when I stuck my hand in the qt tank he swam even more crazily and made an attempt to jump out but the lid blocked him and he hit his head and swam back inside and around more. This may seem quite obvious, but no he did not eat. I'm concerned with both my clown and new goby. In positive news my Duncan And Candy Cane seem to be having a blast both being opened up and I even saw the Duncan eat for the first time. What do y'all think I can do about this whole situation and any ways I can possible calm down my goby. The lights are off and I haven't been touching the tank. I only walk by to check on him every now and than.
A video/picture of your clown, goby, and tank might help figure out what's going on. In the future, I would wait till everything's more stable before getting new fish - I know it's always really tempting when we go to the LFS though :)

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back