Overlooked, really useful device

buckroe07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is it when someone gets into the hobby they are told to get a myriad of things from sand to a swing arm hydrometer or even better a refractometer, skimmer, light, salt, cleaning magnet, etc, and never mention a SCALE?!:D now that I'm trying to be more precise, a lot, if not all the recommended amounts are in grams or kilograms! Luckily I have a food scale so no problem:)
From now on, when I help someone get into the hobby, I'm going to recommend a scale as part of their reefing arsenal, lol.

Anybody else have any overlooked, helpful devices that are hardly recommended?

OP
OP
buckroe07

buckroe07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A scale? What do you use that for?
And agreed on the brush lol
I would also suggest dedicated Tupperware containers. I use those so much for dipping and transferring things.

The gfo instructions say 50 g treats 50 gallons, my salt says 3.95 kg or 140 Oz per 27 gallons, etc.

A dedicated scrub brush. If for no other reason than to drive home the point that aquariums require work! ;)

Brushes! Good one guys. What LFS recommends and sells brushes!lol:D

And Tupperwares or QT/treatment tanks? Geez, we would scare ppl away from the hobbyo_O

tom reilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The gfo instructions say 50 g treats 50 gallons, my salt says 3.95 kg or 140 Oz per 27 gallons, etc.

And Tupperwares or QT/treatment tanks? Geez, we would scare ppl away from the hobbyo_O
Long turkey baster

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ohhhh I don't use that lol I thought you were measuring out salt for wc lol :)
Oh oh the brushes, look at these, they're perfect!
I've only used 1 or 2 to exhaustion lol
IMG_1359.PNG

OP
OP
buckroe07

buckroe07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohhhh I don't use that lol I thought you were measuring out salt for wc lol :)
Oh oh the brushes, look at these, they're perfect!
I've only used 1 or 2 to exhaustion lol
IMG_1359.PNG

Those would work great! I've been using old toothbrushes. Good thing I haven't confused which one is which yet.:eek:

JBradford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A funnel and a medicine bottle. I use the medicine bottle to cover the stand pipe on my reactors when filling them. And a modified funnel that still fits in the reactor but the mouth has been widened to allow media to flow in, around the medicine bottle for even distribution.

OP
OP
buckroe07

buckroe07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A funnel and a medicine bottle. I use the medicine bottle to cover the stand pipe on my reactors when filling them. And a modified funnel that still fits in the reactor but the mouth has been widened to allow media to flow in, around the medicine bottle for even distribution.

Imagine the look on someone's face when their first getting into the hobby. What?!:confused: lol!

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a turkey baster, also my advice to new people is to learn their basics and ignore the nonsensical gear and dosing regimes like biopellets, carbon dosing and other magic liquids haha. Keep it simple when you start, you don't need the other stuff, you can try that once you have basic husbandry down.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a turkey baster, also my advice to new people is to learn their basics and ignore the nonsensical gear and dosing regimes like biopellets, carbon dosing and other magic liquids haha. Keep it simple when you start, you don't need the other stuff, you can try that once you have basic husbandry down.
Yassss that's what I did. Ran no dosing (still don't but I'll be getting into nopox soon) but then added a biopellet reactor to m skimmer in one tank.
Another thing: start with good lights. I bought cheap leds for $200 then realized what I COULDNT grow with them. Then upgraded. So start off right lol

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yassss that's what I did. Ran no dosing (still don't but I'll be getting into nopox soon) but then added a biopellet reactor to m skimmer in one tank.
Another thing: start with good lights. I bought cheap leds for $200 then realized what I COULDNT grow with them. Then upgraded. So start off right lol

I agree to start off right, and buy good equipment if you can. But don't overload with equipment, it just isn't needed.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree to start off right, and buy good equipment if you can. But don't overload with equipment, it just isn't needed.

Much cheaper to buy what you want, good quality stuff, ONCE, than to buy cheap, and then buy what you should have bought in the first place.

And yes, we all mess this up. I bought a light, and replaced it a year later, bought a sump, and replaced it a year later... Even though I _thought_ I'd done the research :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back