OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you understand what I'm saying. You have to first get your mounting height right. I'm not sure how you've mounted the fixture, but let's go for 9 to 10 inches from the water surface to the bottom of the light (where led pucks are). So 9 to 10 inches between the water surface and the light.

Now, read par and adjust accordingly. If it's too low, adjust 10% more intensity and read again. You should have around 200 to 250 about 4 to 8 inches under the water surface.

Then go for a middle of the tank par of about 130 to 160.

Sand bed, you should be pretty close to what you need. 100 PAR isn't going to hurt any coral.

You want a even distribution of light so you will know where to place various corals.
I understand and I’ll try again after work, currently the lights are hanging from the ceiling and 9” above the water. My concern is that the design of the tank is older and it has the tank separating in half by a black rim so there’s an inch wide center rim piece going across the middle and the over flow is in the left corner which prevents it from being as even a distribution of light. I have one radion centered over each half. The front left corner has the lowest par I’m assuming because the light isn’t getting to that corner because of the overflow chamber.
Anyway when I get home I’ll take the measurements as you suggested and see what I’m getting,,then try to get it as evenly distributed as possible.
Thank you

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I understand and I’ll try again after work, currently the lights are hanging from the ceiling and 9” above the water. My concern is that the design of the tank is older and it has the tank separating in half by a black rim so there’s an inch wide center rim piece going across the middle and the over flow is in the left corner which prevents it from being as even a distribution of light. I have one radion centered over each half. The front left corner has the lowest par I’m assuming because the light isn’t getting to that corner because of the overflow chamber.
Anyway when I get home I’ll take the measurements as you suggested and see what I’m getting,,then try to get it as evenly distributed as possible.
Thank you
Yeah no worries, the center brace won't be a hindrance. You'll be be and don't stress too much. Corals can survive being underlit for a long time. What they can't survive is being overlit and getting fried. Better to be low on the adjustment than high.

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah no worries, the center brace won't be a hindrance. You'll be be and don't stress too much. Corals can survive being underlit for a long time. What they can't survive is being overlit and getting fried. Better to be low on the adjustment than high.
Could the lights be weaker then the newer models ?
Thank you
I took your suggestions and was able to get close to the par in the top middle and bottom of my tank, my lights are 9” above the water and my intensity is at 55. I plan to take measurements this weekend at different times of the day.
I know the par is at the recommended level for the corals I have so for now I think I just need to leave them alone and see how they do.
Thank you for your help

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yeah they are a little less power than the new models. There have been some AWESOME, full SPS tanks ran on Gen 4s and Gen 3s before.

I run an ATI Straton, but I have the Gen 5 Pro and Blue versions. I will say that Radions are probably the best led made. They just produce results if your patient.

Great to hear on your adjustment. I think that will do just fine! Congrats.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back