Parvocalanus crassirostris

Surfzone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here I go once more on how I grow copepods more specificly Parvocalanus crassirostris.

If you didn't know this species of copepods is palegic or stays in the water and doesn't go down on surfaces. This can be a more touchy species to keep mostly due to diet. This species does best on live phyto more specifically brown phyto like T-Iso and Thalassiosira weissflogii. I highly advise not to use Nannochloropsis or Tetraselmis as foods for this species. This species is widely used for palegic spawned larva such as Manderins.

You will need:
5 gallon bucket
Ridged air tubing
Flexible air tubing
Live phyto (T-Iso)
Saltwater mixed to 1.025
Starter culture
100 and 40 micron sieves

(Step 1) Empty starter culture into bucket
(Step 2) Add enough saltwater to double the amount of culture water
(Step 3) Connect ridged tubing to flexible tubing and connect flexible tubing to the air pump. Place end of ridged tubing in the bucket
(Step 4) Add enough T-Iso to tint the water brown
(Step 5) the next day add enough saltwater to double the water volume again. Add more T-Iso to keep the water tinted brown.

Harvest
- strain culture water through 100 micron and 40 micron sieve the 100 micron sieve will catch adults and the 40 will catch the naups.
-strain over culture vesile so that the smallest of the naups will be returned to the culture

Splitting
- much like rotifers I take half of the water volume and place in a new bucket
- Follow steps 1-4

Feeding
- I feed T-Iso every other day just enough to tint the water a light brown
*do not let the culture water go clear feed daily if needed. But I have found every other day is fine.

I hope this helps some people who want to try this species of copepod.

Resources for this project can be found at
https://reedmariculture.com
https://www.algagen.com
https://www.floridaaquafarms.com

Last edited:

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here I go once more on how I grow copepods more specificly Parvocalanus crassirostris.

If you didn't know this species of copepods is palegic or stays in the water and doesn't go down on surfaces. This can be a more touchy species to keep mostly due to diet. This species does best on live phyto more specifically brown phyto like T-Iso and Thalassiosira weissflogii. I highly advise not to use Nannochloropsis or Tetraselmis as foods for this species. This species is widely used for palegic spawned larva such as Manderins.

You will need:
5 gallon bucket
Ridged air tubing
Flexible air tubing
Live phyto (T-Iso)
Saltwater mixed to 1.025
Starter culture
100 and 40 micron sieves

(Step 1) Empty starter culture into bucket
(Step 2) Add enough saltwater to double the amount of culture water
(Step 3) Connect ridged tubing to flexible tubing and connect flexible tubing to the air pump. Place end of ridged tubing in the bucket
(Step 4) Add enough T-Iso to tint the water brown
(Step 5) the next day add enough saltwater to double the water volume again. Add more T-Iso to keep the water tinted brown.

Harvest
- strain culture water through 100 micron and 40 micron sieve the 100 micron sieve will catch adults and the 40 will catch the naups.
-strain over culture vesile so that the smallest of the naups will be returned to the culture

Splitting
- much like rotifers I take half of the water volume and place in a new bucket
- Follow steps 1-4

Feeding
- I feed T-Iso every other day just enough to tint the water a light brown
*do not let the culture water go clear feed daily if needed. But I have found every other day is fine.

I hope this helps some people who want to try this species of copepod.

Resources for this project can be found at
https://reedmariculture.com
https://www.algagen.com
https://www.floridaaquafarms.com

It's a great copepod. Thanks for the resource mention. We are very happy to be able to offer clean cultures of these guys to hobbyists and those in aquaculture.

Cheers!
Chad

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a great copepod. Thanks for the resource mention. We are very happy to be able to offer clean cultures of these guys to hobbyists and those in aquaculture.

Cheers!
Chad
Hi Chad!

Do you ship to Europe or sell via any European wholesalers?

/ David

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Chad!

Do you ship to Europe or sell via any European wholesalers?

/ David

We do ship to your area of the world. Please send us an email: [email protected]. Someone can help you with prices and shipping quotes. We routinely ship live rotifers to Norway, so I don't see issue with sending copepods to you in Sweden.

How are things at the museum?

Best,
Chad

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We do ship to your area of the world. Please send us an email: [email protected]. Someone can help you with prices and shipping quotes. We routinely ship live rotifers to Norway, so I don't see issue with sending copepods to you in Sweden.

How are things at the museum?

Best,
Chad
Thanks! I'll send an email and check it out.

Things are going well, thanks! Just in the process of building a temporary Aquarium to keep our animals during our rebuilding. And in that process I hope we can try to learn to breed some more fish and maybe urchins :)

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 36 53.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 55.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • None.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.0%

Back