Petco rescue, two tangs

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you check ph? I don’t have a ton of first-hand experience with hypo, but I know low ph can become an issue.

Edit. Took a screen shot of humble’s comments re: ph in hypo

b6881c6e246ac5bf1a7fe2f83b524791.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you check ph? I don’t have a ton of first-hand experience with hypo, but I know low ph can become an issue.

I haven't been checking it but I am using Kent marine dkh buffer in my top of water. I will check when I get home. I did change out an additional 5 gallons last night, she was looking bad for a while and was getting pale. I got up several times during the night to check on her, luckily she seems to have bounced back completly this morning and darted around the tank to eat breakfast. I'll let you know how everything looks when I get home

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, ph does generally drop at night... could explain why she was struggling then and better now. Keep us posted, maybe give the tank a shot of O2 again tonight before bed if you still have that tank handy ;)

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, ph does generally drop at night... could explain why she was struggling then and better now. Keep us posted, maybe give the tank a shot of O2 again tonight before bed if you still have that tank handy ;)
Not a bad idea, I'll do that

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@ckalupa, I think I remember you saying that you didn't experience issues with ph when using hypo, how often were you doing water changes and what else do you think I should know so I can avoid problems?

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I missed it, but is there any reason why you can't move her to a disinfected tank and begin to bring her out of hypo? I think you had two quarantine tanks, correct?
The only other qt tank I have is a 5 gallon tank, I'm keeping her in hypo right now for the 30 days recommended by Humblefish. Honestly I can't remember the reason why 30 days is recommended

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not have any challenges with pH. Remained near 7.8 with salinity of 1.009 by itself.
I'm thinking ph may have been my problem last night, I was watching closely for ammonia but forgot about the ph. Were you doing water changes often? I hadn't done one for about 3 days until last night

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only other qt tank I have is a 5 gallon tank, I'm keeping her in hypo right now for the 30 days recommended by Humblefish. Honestly I can't remember the reason why 30 days is recommended

I think the 30 days is recommended to help insure that any ich/velvet that may have encysted on the aquarium can't re-infect the fish. However, if you move her to a disinfected aquarium, that concern should be eliminated. I'm not sure if you were treating her for something else using hypo though.

I'm not a tang person, but for most fish I think I'd prefer to stress them out a little bit with a move rather than try to continue to maintain the hypo for that long. Hypo is by far the least toxic approach, but it's still not ideal water conditions. You also could put her in the 5 gallon temporarily, disinfect her current aquarium and equipment, and then move her back to her home. You just need to disinfect everything (heater, filters, tank, etc). I usually use a combination of hot water filled to the top for 30 minutes and bleach.

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the 30 days is recommended to help insure that any ich/velvet that may have encysted on the aquarium can't re-infect the fish. However, if you move her to a disinfected aquarium, that concern should be eliminated. I'm not sure if you were treating her for something else using hypo though.

I'm not a tang person, but for most fish I think I'd prefer to stress them out a little bit with a move rather than try to continue to maintain the hypo for that long. Hypo is by far the least toxic approach, but it's still not ideal water conditions. You also could put her in the 5 gallon temporarily, disinfect her current aquarium and equipment, and then move her back to her home. You just need to disinfect everything (heater, filters, tank, etc). I usually use a combination of hot water filled to the top for 30 minutes and bleach.
The hypo was for prazi resistant flukes which should be completly eliminated if I remember correctly (so much new information and late nights with her my brain is nearly fried)

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now, the hypo is prophylactic for ich. It’s been plenty long enough for the flukes.

If you feel like she is struggling with hypo itself, no reason not to start bringing the salinity back up and observe her for a while instead.

It will be some time yet before her new tank is ready anyway, plenty of time to observe to make sure she doesn’t have ich. I’m pretty certain that if she did, we would have seen it by now anyway.

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now, the hypo is prophylactic for ich. It’s been plenty long enough for the flukes.

If you feel like she is struggling with hypo itself, no reason not to start bringing the salinity back up and observe her for a while instead.

It will be some time yet before her new tank is ready anyway, plenty of time to observe to make sure she doesn’t have ich. I’m pretty certain that if she did, we would have seen it by now anyway.
Hmmmm, maybe I'll start topping off with saltwater

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 67 34.4%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back