Pink tail trigger in reef tank?

colesjensen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my friend has a pink tail trigger and it's out growing his tank. So he wants to give it to me. He said it's never done anything bad in his reef tank but I've heard stories where they were fine and then all of the sudden they kill everything in the tank. Do you think it would be ok to keep this fish in the tank?

Garrett W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triggers are always hit or miss. I've heard from people who have kept them successfully in a reef but more often than not they are way too aggressive.

Seame

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like mine. I have had him about 5 or so months now and he is growing fast. He was only maybe 3" before he is closers to 5 already and eats like a pig. Chopped up prawn, clams , mysis,, flake ,and eats Nori too. No issues what's so ever. Bit my finger last week when I was dangling some food in the tank and it hurt. Lol.

20170311_194454.jpg

OP
OP
colesjensen

colesjensen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like mine. I have had him about 5 or so months now and he is growing fast. He was only maybe 3" before he is closers to 5 already and eats like a pig. Chopped up prawn, clams , mysis,, flake ,and eats Nori too. No issues what's so ever. Bit my finger last week when I was dangling some food in the tank and it hurt. Lol.

20170311_194454.jpg

What fish do you have?

Seame

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the pic you can see some tangs obviously, but I also have a pair of fire fish and a pair of Royal garamas that are smaller but he doesn't bother them at all. The fire fish get a little skidish at feeding time when he gets near but I have never seen him go for anything other than the food is feed.
My Harlequin Tusk is more of the hunter and I think he eat some of my snails and a red legged crab. I still have a few sales and at least one crab but he is careful not to expose himself too much during the day. Tank is 84x24x30 . I have a red hawk fish Meleranus wrasse , pair of Sea bea clowns ( the male is huge 4 inches for sure) , midas blenny .....

Seame

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Full tank shot camera on this tablet is not very good but gives you the idea.

The pink tail definitely adds the spice with his fins and he is so active I love watching him.

20170311_202500.jpg

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 128 42.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 106 35.1%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 48 15.9%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.7%
Back