HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just getting the build thread started, stay tuned for as much detail as I can provide! See below for the build list and links to the supplier where I got each. BTW, I am not sponsored by any of these vendors, just sharing the best option that worked for me.

Display: Planet Aquariums Crystalline Reef 60X20X21 internal overflow, rimless. Link to PlanetAquarium.com
Sump: Trigger Systems Sapphire 39 Link to FishTanksDirect.com
ATO Tank: Trigger Systems Sapphire 10 Link to FishTanksDirect.com
ATO Control: XP Aqua Duetto ATO System Link to MarineDepot.com
Return Pump: EcoTech Vectra M2 Link to SaltwaterAquarium.com
Reactor Pump: EcoTech Vectra S2 Link to AquaCave.com
Wave Pump: 2x EcoTech MP40 Link to MarinDepot.com
Skimmer: AquaMaxx ConeS DCQ-2 Controllable Link to MarineDepot.com
Heater: 2x Finnex HMX 500s Link to SaltwaterAquarium.com
BioPellet Reactor: AquaMaxx BioMaxx BioPellet Reactor Link to MarineDepot.com
Media Reactor: AquaMaxx Fluidized GFO and Carbon Reactor Link to MarineDepot.com
UV Sterilizer: Aqua Ultraviolet Classic 25 Watt Link to FishTanksDirect.com
Lighting: 4x EcoTech Radion XR15 G5 Pro Link to AquaCave.com
Light Mounts: 4x ExoTech Radion XR15 RMS Mount Link to AquaCave.com
Pump Battery: EcoTech Marine Vortech Battery Backup Link to MarineDepot.com
System Battery: CyberPower ST900U Standby UPS Link to Amazon.com
Power Control: Kasa Smart HS300 Plug Power Strip Link to Amazon.com
Plumbing Pipe: 1" drain, 3/4" return & 1/2" reactor in blue PVC Link to FormuFit.com
Plumbing Fittings: Various Fittings & Valves Link to Grainger.com
Plumbing Accessories: Various Clips, Valves, Sump Leveling Mat Link to BulkReefSupply.com

That's the core of the system. Sand, rock and water will be determined later and will be sourced from my LFS. Waiting to decide on dosing pump until the tank / cabinet get delivered. Since I'm packing a ton of equipment in there, I need to get it plumbed and wired to see what the best option will be for the doser and containers. More to come....

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It looks like you are off to a good start - that is a nice list of equipment! We look forward to seeing pictures as you put everything together (if you are comfortable sharing)! :)

OP
OP
HD_Reefer

HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still waiting on the tank, so got started on the aquascape. Going for a bit minimalist and a bit of NSA. I'm thinking the left side is pretty complete, but the middle to right needs some work. 40lbs of rock didn't go very far! Thoughts?

1.jpg

J_anderson_75

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Initial deisgn of the aquascape is done. I still need to shore up a few of the pieces, but I think it's pretty close. Fingers crossed I don't need to change it after it gets in the tank!

Front view:
IMG_0035.jpg

Top view:
IMG_0036.jpg

Right side view:
IMG_0038.jpg

Left side view:
IMG_0039.jpg
I'm digging this scape. Looks good! Is this still only 40 lbs or did you add more?

OP
OP
HD_Reefer

HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad it's helping! I think I'll end up right around 80lbs after its in the tank. Its hard to judge the height without the actual tank. It looks good to me now sitting on the garage floor, but will be a whole new ballgame when it goes in!

OP
OP
HD_Reefer

HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank has arrived! It came in on Monday and I have been diligently working on getting everything mocked up and trying to figure out the best route for wires & plumbing. The sump didn't initially fit, so there was some stand modification required to get it in place. There's a ton of equipment to be packed into a 20" deep by 60" wide cabinet, so it's been an exciting engineering feet so far! Once everything is figured out and in it's final destination, all the white PVC will be replaced with blue & glued, then leak tested and torn apart to be moved in the house and final assembly. I will take detail pics of that process, including all the custom configs that I had to do along the way.

Still tons of work to do and nothing is finalized, but here's a couple sneak peaks!

Dual pump setup, Ecotech M2 pushing water through UV (not installed yet) into the DT. S2 pushing water through media reactors suspended above the sump.
Mock1.jpg

Herbie drain routing. Gates on both for ability shutoff DT from sump for cleaning.
Mock2.jpg

The beginnings of the control board. Designing it to be removable for maintenance and later additions.
Mock3.jpg

Custom wire management....so far the hardest part of the build. The amount of wire coming from all different directions is overwhelming!
Mock4.jpg

OP
OP
HD_Reefer

HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so I finished the mock up of the plumbing last night around 10 and decided to stay up late and replace it all with the final pipe. I had to call it quits around 2:30am...sleep was calling my name! I finished the remaining pipe today, complete all of the cable routing and there is only 2 things remaining. 1, paint the controller board and 2, acquire and install a light for the refugium section. Tonight.....leak test! Wish me luck!

P.S. I'll post some pics here in a few minutes after they transfer to my laptop.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 57 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 63 54.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.8%
Back