Please help ASAP, Ich or Velvet???

scottedontknow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please make sure you bring your copper PPM from 1.0ppm to 2.0ppm over a few days and if not TTMing them you NEED to keep them in 2.0ppm FOR 30 FULL DAYS!!! not 1.9ppm 2.0ppm!!!!!!! this is a must if you want to rid them of velvet/ick. So heres the issues with LFS DT... they usually only keep fish at 1.0ppm and strains of ick are immune to it, they keep these level low because of all the other sensitive fish in the system, thus only hiding the signs not actually getting rid of the diseases. what are the odds you have a small GLASS tank or container laying around?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One question about what to do with brittle star, coral banded and pistol shrimp. Can Velvet and Ich host them?
Ich or velvet parasites can "encyst" on any hard surface: glass, equipment, rocks, sand, and yes hard shells of shrimp, etc. But they can't feed upon them. That's why we leave all inverts in the "fallow' (fishless) tank for 72-76 days to starve the parasites.

artieg1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read up on fallow periods in the stickies. All answers are there. And +1 for adding copper more slowly that the instructions say. I spread out over 4 days, morning and evening.

OP
OP
N

Nuuze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for your replies!

Taking a lunch break as Amazon just dropped off the Copper Power. Based on this tank calculator found I need to dose 17.86ml for 30G. I couldn't fill up the 40G to rim as some of the wrasse like to jump.

I also notice the gem tang is weakening on its side breathing heavily. :(

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would another FW dip help the gem tang or do I just dose the Cooper Power?
Freshwater dips remove a tremendous amount of the velvet parasites from a fish's gills. This buys you and it time for the copper. Remember, copper does not kill velvet or ich parasites that are already attached to the fish. It only kils them during their free swimming stage. So the fish has to weather those parasites that are already on it, plus the damage and possible infections from the numerous insertion points.

Be mindful that the FW dip can stress the fish to an extreme that could end badly. But if the fish can't survive the FW dip, it probably was too far gone anyway.

OP
OP
N

Nuuze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: 1 Borbonius Anthias found dead in DT yesterday during QT transfer, lost the Kole tang in the morning. By the time I got Copper Power delivered dosed to 1.0ppm per calculator I also lost the Gem tang. So bummed out for loosing those three favorites in such a short time as they were eating like pigs a day or so ago.

Copper Power dosage of 17.86ml was dosed over the period of three hours apart today, 5ml, 5ml and 7.86ml. I added a small pump for circulation, air stone and skimmer to QT. Fed them a tiny bit of frozen brine mixed with Focus/MetroPlex.

In the course of next few days I will up Copper Power to 2.0. Maybe 5ml throughout each day? I have to go slow as I've decided to return the API kit for Hanna on the way.

RIP:
Kole Tang
Gem Tang
1 Borbonius Anthias

Still fighting:
Hybrid Black Tang
2 stripped Damsel
1 Borbonius Anthias
Purple tang
Black Wrasse
Red faced fairy Wrasse
Red Coris Wrasse
Yellow Coris Wrasse
Algae Blenny
Diamond Watchman Goby
Red Firefish (added from frag tank)

***Still trying to locate Gum Drop Goby from frag tank. He's so tiny I'm afraid the QT medication may harm him but he was exposed to water as all the other fish.

Thanks all for sharing your knowledge and experiences!

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know things are crazy. But it’s important to read and reread the sticky from Humblefish. Good luck!

OP
OP
N

Nuuze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it's been crazy last few days! I just wanted to confirm since some threads said 2, 1.5, 1.75 and bottle says 2.5.

I'm expecting the Ruby Reef Rally & Kick-Ich combo to be delivered today and planning on 90 minute bath (per instructions) out of QT in separate container then back into QT. From there will feed with Seachem Focus/MetroPlex/KanaPlex mix.

Remaining fish are looking better today and eating like crazy pigs again. (knock on wood several times)

Last fish (Gum Drop Goby) has been added to QT!

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone also confirm the targeted ppm for Copper Power? Thanks!
2.0 ppm as other have posted. We tried to lower it a bit to make it easier on some copper sensitive fish but there were some cases where 1.75 ppm did not work. Here's a link for even more reading:

OP
OP
N

Nuuze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since bringing Copper Power to 2.0 I'm still loosing fish. Fish that appear getting better I'm finding dead when checking on QT in AM. :(

2nd Borbonius Anthias
Red faced fairy Wrasse
Red Coris Wrasse
Yellow Coris Wrasse

Seachem Ammonia Alert is showing in between Safe/Alert, Copper at 2.0 (Hanna), feeding very lightly and also mixing Focus/MetroPlex/KanaPlex every couple days into frozen. Is it possible the fish dying above aren't taking the copper well???

Tank 40G breeder
Temp: 78-79
Filtration: Skimmer with sponge and some rubble rock from main DT. Bubble stone for added oxygen.

OP
OP
N

Nuuze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please help!

I have 7 fish in QT currently for 28 days now for velvet with copper power at 2.0. Checking on QT tonight Im seeing reoccurrence of white spots on two tangs. Other 5 goby, blenny and wrasse have no signs. Re-checked cooper and it’s 1.96 as I readjust. Has anyone ever see ICH/Velvet reappear while/during copper treatment towards the end treatment close to 30 days???

88F29D71-A10D-4772-8C08-FB1203764D75.jpeg

0AC8E859-D676-4DB8-AAA4-EC80D9821EFC.jpeg

I asked this question a few days ago on the Velvet strain thread but got no replies. Anyone know if it’s common for spots reappearing during treatment?

Sharir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long ago did you buy your fish? If you bought them recently then it could be flukes on the Kole tang. To be safe fresh water dip them first. This will buy you some time if it is indeed velvet.

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read through the whole thread.

Spots should not reappear if your fish have either ich or velvet and copper is at 2.0 and there has been no cross contamination from the display. If you are truly 100% sure the copper level stayed at 2.0 the whole time then it is possible your fish have Brook - to me the kole looks more like it had Brook than anything else but the pic is blurry.
@Big G i trust you more than myself, what do you think here?

Fw dips and copper will suppress butnot eradicate Brook. If it is Brook you could do a bath in peroxide or ruby reef rally followed by treating with metro (I would Dose metro at the same time as copper). It would be ideal to transfer all fish to a clean new qt post treatment to stop reinfection

www.reef2reef.com/threads/hydrogen-peroxide.640232/

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is an example of someone (@puffy127 ) having a fish that seemed to have velvet That survived copper but may in fact have had Brook - a peroxide bath followed by a transfer to a new tank seemed to do the trick

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back