Plumbing a UV into my sump only

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given the layout of my sump, is there a way that I can plumb a UV as a closed loop by putting the pump in one compartment and the output in a different, downstream compartment, that WON’T be a flood risk?
image0 (1).jpeg
image1.jpeg
image0 (2).jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would consider putting an 'in line' UV after your return pump? That way 100% of the water is going through. But that can be a size issue depending on how big the tank is iet. But lets say you wanted to do it in the sump - where do you think the 'flooding risk' would come from? PS - I think I know how your water flow is planned - but its not entirely clear

OP
OP
adittam

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would consider putting an 'in line' UV after your return pump? That way 100% of the water is going through. But that can be a size issue depending on how big the tank is iet. But lets say you wanted to do it in the sump - where do you think the 'flooding risk' would come from? PS - I think I know how your water flow is planned - but its not entirely clear

That was my original plan, but I want to be able to use it for parasite control as needed, and that would require a flow meter and bypass, to ensure it’s at the correct flow for parasites. The flow meters that I found are crazy expensive. Take a look at my first plumbing thread here to see the reasons I’m looking at doing it this way instead.

OP
OP
adittam

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as the sump flow goes, in the top-down view, the Overflow flows into in the far left compartment, then flows over the weir into the middle compartment, then through the bottom hole drilled in the divider into the front-right compartment, then over and under the next two dividers into the back-right compartment, where the return pump will be.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back