Plumbing Equipment Into Closed Loop

ElussssvReefSD

Be Nice to Coral-Nippers!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for you DIY plumbing gurus...

I am planning 2 closed loops and dual sump returns for my system. The equipment (skimmer, chiller, UV, reactors) will be in an outdoor shed along the external wall of the aquarium (shade-protected and in Florida) , and sump will be located under the tank.

The way I see it, I have 2 options, I just don't know how feasible/possible these are:

Option 1) Run both sump return lines (on Vectra L2s) outside to the equipment shed, through a manifold for the equipment, and then returning back through the wall to the tank.

Option 2) Run both closed loops (on MRC MP-6100s) outside and run a manifold for the equipment off those.

The part that's confusing me, is that since the flow needs for the skimmer and chiller will be 2000gph+, is running that equipment off the return or closed loop lines even an option? And is it possible to feed the return from the equipment back into the closed loop/return line through the manifold using a one-way valve or something?

Help me out here please, thanks.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think its feasible to do all of that with your return pumps. I installed my skimmer, uv, and chiller on the other side of the wall adjacent to the tank in an indoor/outdoor room.
I run the Chiller and the UV on one submersible eheim pump, the skimmer has it's own external mag drive, and the returns work independently.
You really want to have one pump dedicated to the skimmer as flow rates will need to be dialed in.
Attached are some photos of how I installed mine.
1628956015350.png

1628956043117.png

1628956240809.png

The skimmer must return to a lower point than where it sits, you will need to elevate the skimmer most likely.

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, so the UV, Chiller, Skimmer, and any subsequent reactors will have their own feed pumps for exactly that reason. What I'm trying to accomplish here though, is to not have to run a separate outbound/inbound line through the wall for each individual piece of equipment, since I'll only be drilling a hole once.

If each piece of equipment has an individual pump, my question is: Is it possible to attach each of those pumps to a manifold on a single loop? And if so, is there a way to plug the return line from each piece of equipment back into that loop?

Didn't know that about the skimmer return level, but that shouldn't be an issue as I'll have plenty of space. Just curious, why lower though?

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, so the UV, Chiller, Skimmer, and any subsequent reactors will have their own feed pumps for exactly that reason. What I'm trying to accomplish here though, is to not have to run a separate outbound/inbound line through the wall for each individual piece of equipment, since I'll only be drilling a hole once.

If each piece of equipment has an individual pump, my question is: Is it possible to attach each of those pumps to a manifold on a single loop? And if so, is there a way to plug the return line from each piece of equipment back into that loop?

Didn't know that about the skimmer return level, but that shouldn't be an issue as I'll have plenty of space. Just curious, why lower though?
There are these which allow you to tie multiple return lines into one, you could also use these for the supply with adjustment valves on the other side of each one.

Due to water traveling along the path of least resistance, If the skimmer water point of return is higher than the skimmer, water will be forced right up thru the neck (or anti siphon bar) and out of the top of the skimmer instead of returning to the tank.

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are these which allow you to tie multiple return lines into one, you could also use these for the supply with adjustment valves on the other side of each one.

Due to water traveling along the path of least resistance, If the skimmer water point of return is higher than the skimmer, water will be forced right up thru the neck (or anti siphon bar) and out of the top of the skimmer instead of returning to the tank.

Nice! Thanks for the link. Another question though:

If a feed pump is turned off, but attached to a pressured manifold, will the water flow through the stopped pump and into the equipment?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would strongly discourage equipment in closed loops. More complexity = greater chance of failure. If you design the CL poorly it can drain your tank. Drain tank = bad!

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would strongly discourage equipment in closed loops. More complexity = greater chance of failure. If you design the CL poorly it can drain your tank. Drain tank = bad!
I def hear that loud and clear. The problem is then, how to plumb the equipment? It’s a large install (with large equipment), and not enough space below tank for everything.

The sump will be under the tank, but equipment room will be an outdoor shed located in the shade and protected from elements (live in Florida). I don’t see a way to be able to plumb the equipment any other way without:

1) Locating sump outside which I don’t think is a good idea as the temperature fluctuations would be too much.

2) Running plumbing for every individual piece of equipment through the wall, which is not gonna happen.

I am def open to some creative ideas though.

Fiziksgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a little late to the game, but you could definitely run things like a UV or chiller off a closed loop.

A protein skimmer by design is open at the top and therefor technically can never be a closed loop, but it could be run is a closed loop-like configuration if the skimmer cup was higher than the top of the tank. However, I really wouldn't recommend trying this. Lots to potentially go wrong, and at the very least, you'd be dumping the skimmer output which if full of microbubbles into the display tank.

No way that I know of to run water both in and out of the house via a single pipe, You'd need at least 2, one in and one out.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back