Plumbing Help Needed

MaverickReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am building and plumbing a 120 gallon with a sump. This is my first time plumbing anything and I may have made a mistake. The threaded connector which connects into my bulkhead is leaking on both sides from my return pump. I wrapped the threads in Teflon tape, but they are still leaking. The leak is pretty slow, just a few drops a minute or so. Is there anyway I can deal this connection without cutting the pvc out and rebuilding the entire return line?
My return pump is connected to a tee which connects to both of these bulkheads and up through the corner overflows.

PXL_20210701_212426683.jpg PXL_20210701_213419336.jpg PXL_20210701_215236302.jpg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a lip on the inside of the white connection? Possible O-ring missing?

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For threaded fittings silicone works great. Just need some cure time. Also if you need to it is easy to break the seal in the future. Teflon tape is tricky too much and can crack fittings, too little and get little leaks. Either way you might have to drain and dry the over flow. Try to unscrew it from above. If it was a really slow leak I'd say leave it they seal over time.

Last edited:

jandlms

Reef Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Teflon tape doesn't work. You need to get this stuff:
I have been fighting a slow leak from a screw fitting on the main overflow tube (bean animal) on my 120 build for a couple of days. I was almost to the point of cutting pipe and replacing everything when I saw your post.
Thank you for the suggestion. I am now about eight hours and counting with no runs, no drips, no leaks. Hopefully I didnt just jinx it.

TheSeas

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@cincyreefer35 did you end up fixing it and what did you end up using to fix it. I am having the same issue with my return pipe on my planet 120 build.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that I probably wouldn’t have used the tape; but now that you have, it may be that with such a tiny leak, salt-creep may save the day. You might even try this, to help the salt-creep along: Take a length of the Teflon tape and wind it tight around the gap like a tight string. This will slow the leak even more and form a mechanical plug. When enough salt dries in the crevice you may be good more or less permanently— unless you twist something, drastically lower the salinity or empty the tank. You should know within 3-5 days, if you just want to put a towel under there for now.

Jivatma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There isn't an o-ring, it's just threaded into the bulkhead
This is probably the source of your problems. Based on the pictures, it looks like you are threading the pvc to the outside bulkhead. Bulkhead threads and pvc threads do not match up. If you compare the front bulkhead, you can see its is glued appropriately and has a union.

Pvc should be threaded inside the bulkhead with an appropriate threaded bulkhead or glued if you have the slip bulkhead.

Of course I could be wrong and you could have it glued appropriately, just doesn't look (or sound) like you do.

It is also not recommended to use teflon tape as too much can cause the fitting to spread apart and crack. If this is the case you may need to replace the fitting

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bill Wann gave a seminar on reef tank plumbing at MACNA few years ago. He swears by silicone for thread sealing iirc. You can find the whole talk on YouTube, it's a great watch.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bill Wann gave a seminar on reef tank plumbing at MACNA few years ago. He swears by silicone for thread sealing iirc. You can find the whole talk on YouTube, it's a great watch.
I swear by silicone too. Except in spots that get water hammer pressure.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used oatey great white when plumbing my UV on the threads. Just noticed this not too long ago. Looks like the oatey is melting and now leaking? Anyone else have this happen? The UV sterilizer has been running for over 200 days. In the pic I wiped it clean of salt creep and added the clamp to the hose today thinking it was a hose leak, so this is about 10 hours worth of leakage, which isn't too much.

Should I take it offline, remove from stand and put another few layers around it to try to seal it in?

Attachments

• 20211004_224541.jpg
    20211004_224541.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 25

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about running a bead of this around the base where it has a slow leak where the Oatey is melting away?

1633447832899.png

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back