Point Source vs Flat Panel Lighting? Studies / Research?

Ky_acc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Kessil @sfmacguy

Hi there!

I was just hoping you could provide a study / or explanation for why Kessil continues to focus on ‘point source’ lighting vs. the current trend of flat panel style lights, and whether there are any pros / cons worth noting for point source lighting?

I have been using Kessils for years and have always enjoyed their spectrum / look they provide to a tank

That said there has been a recent trend over the past 2 or 3 years to move toward ‘panel’ type lights that provide a flat sheet of light over the tank

I know Kessil has other applications outside of the home aquarium, and from what I can tell the company is very research / data oriented in general, so I was thinking you probably have data or information supporting the decision to focus on point source lighting.

Intuitively it makes sense why panel style lights are popular — it seems logical that a panel the size of the aquarium would provide better coverage. However is that actually true in practice?

I feel like the panel style lights are assumed to provide better coverage than point source, but just wanted to see if that is actually true in fact from a research / data perspective? Or is that just a hobbyist truism?

Thank you!

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The kessil light really benefits from the dense matrix (great color mixing and zero color separation compared to discoball of many panels) and lens in tandem that creates a very realistic shimmer that is only replicated by metal halides or the sun.
They do create shadows though if you have overhangs or large tabling acros so multiple are usually best to deal with the coverage. But idk if there are actually any studies for this

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That said there has been a recent trend over the past 2 or 3 years to move toward ‘panel’ type lights that provide a flat sheet of light over the tank
An even newer trend is to add Kessils next to panel lights because people miss the shimmer.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An even newer trend is to add Kessils next to panel lights because people miss the shimmer.
i wouldnt say this is exactly a new trend as people have been doing it with radions, ai, and t5s since kessil came out with the a350s but they do the best of both worlds. Downside is the high price tag on running it like that. I may actually add a couple of a160wes to my current tank for shimmer but right now too much money

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back