Poll: Do you make your own fish food?

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by dbl, Jun 14, 2018.

?
  1. Yes - a combination of raw ingredients

31 vote(s)
    10.4%
  2. Yes - a hybrid/blend of various prepackaged foods

38 vote(s)
    12.8%
  3. No - I just use prepackaged foods

223 vote(s)
    74.8%
  4. Other

6 vote(s)
    2.0%
  1. dbl

dbl It Takes Less Energy to be Nice Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Partner Member 2018 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Curious how many reefers are actually making their own of fish food. Could be a blend of prepackaged foods or a mixture of "raw" ingredients that you've come up with. I guess I'm too lazy so as I just use a combination of foods.

Feel free to share your recipe with others.

Crabs Mcjones, mta_morrow and jsker like this.
    Tags:

2. chris85

chris85 Active Member

Mostly live wild-caught foods depending on what time of year. When I make frozen I use all wild caught fresh food with shrimp, crab, various fish, oyster, clams, seaweed and plankton.

Depending on what is getting fed the mixture changes big fish get whole food I prefer clam and oysters, but my fish love shrimp, medium to small fish get I guess I would say about a 15% mix of everything with some fresh seaweed, chopped garlic, and orange juice.

mta_morrow and jsker like this.
  3. jsker

jsker Reefing is all about the adventure Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2018 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Make my own.

The last batch I used ceiling tile grid wipe and freeze the food for cubes. I will not do that again and just place the food in freezer bags and freeze then;)

Crabs Mcjones and mta_morrow like this.
  4. Captain Quint

Captain Quint Active Member

I like to make it now and again, albeit it's been awhile.

*A couple sheets of Red Marine algae
    *Wild-caught white shrimp
    *Clams
    *Portions of a brick of frozen Cycolp-eeze FreezerBar
    *Selcon
    *Garlic Guard

~Put in mini food processor and done semi-fine, vacuum sealed.

mta_morrow likes this.
  5. mta_morrow

mta_morrow It costs HOW much?!!! R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Since my move to Hilton Head, I have easy access to live things that come from the ocean, which is great!

So I decided to start making my own food which has turned out to be cost affordable and the fish go nuts over it!

My first recipe made 2, 1 quart bags, about 3/16" thick.

ingredients:

10 live oysters
    10 live mussels
    1 bag of live clams (15 or so, I'm not sure)
    I put all of the above in a cheap $10 blender I bought for this purpose.
    I drained all water into the mix as well to get all the bacteria I can.
    I have all, small fish in my tanks. 22 in all in a RSR525, so I blended into very small pieces.
    I then added some finely chopped seaweed, about a 1/4 cup
    a 1/8 cup of New Life Spectrum small fish formula pellets.
    10 cubes of mysis (thawed out)

Mixed all the above in a bowl and poured the sweet smelling mix into 2, 1 quart bags.
    Lay flat in the freezer, and let it freeze solid.

I then break off a piece, add another cube of mysis, put in a very small container, thaw with tank water, add 4 drops of selcon, and that gives me 3 evening feedings that my fish, and corals seem to really like. Every little speck gets chased down, and I mean EVERYTHING!

With all the fish I have now, I have started using an auto feeder for an 11:30 AM feeding. I give a good squirt of my mix around 6pm.

I will try to make a video and post it here.

BTW, I made my 2 bags in mid February and still have about 1/2 bag left.

Now that I am having nutrients to control (I didn't in February as the tank was new) I will most likely rinse off the mysis prior to adding to the mix.

Captain Quint likes this.
  6. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Partner Member 2018 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor North Alabama Reef Club

+1 on this.

You are too lazy.. err.. I mean.. I'm too lazy. :p

Why bother making it myself when LRS and Rod's (and I'm sure a few others) make such fine, convenient products!

7. mta_morrow

mta_morrow It costs HOW much?!!! R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Why bar b que ribs on the grill when I can get a McRib?

Just kidding Brew12. Unfortunately I am no where near a place that sell Rod's or LRS. I would probably join the Lazy club if I did!;)

dbl and Brew12 like this.
  8. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Partner Member 2018 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor North Alabama Reef Club

;Vomit

Trust me, if I could get a good slab of ribs around here I wouldn't cook them myself as often. Heck, I can't even get a good steak within a 30 minute drive. :confused:

Wings... I can get some good wings around here but my laziness is combative. What takes more effort. Making wings myself or arranging a driver to and from a good wings place. ;Sour

9. dbl

dbl It Takes Less Energy to be Nice Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Partner Member 2018 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

In the spirit of full disclosure, I did try making a batch of fish food one time. I obviously did something very wrong because it was a complete mess. My bride wasn't too happy either with the lovely aroma.

Brew12 and mta_morrow like this.
  10. Breadman03

Breadman03 Valuable Member Catskill Reef Member

LRS wrapped in nori.

11. mta_morrow

a reef burrito!:)

Brew12 likes this.
  12. Brew12

I sympathize! I had to buy a small freezer just for my fish food because my wife didn't want it in either of our food freezers. :rolleyes:

I would have to send her to the beach for a week if I would ever start blending stuff in the kitchen! ;Blackeye

13. Kamden Uelton

Kamden Uelton Well-Known Member

I go to the beach and catch Sand Crabs (mole crabs, sand fleas) everything seems to love them and they are free :)

14. Crabs Mcjones

Crabs Mcjones Moderator With Training Wheels Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Partner Member 2018 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

I've been buying this recently. Everyone in the tank seems to like it. 20180505_102928.jpg

15. Wonf

Wonf Active Member

Mix of frozen seafood (mostly shrimp with some scallops and squid). Majority of the time, steal from seafood combo package wife buys from Costco. Don't have a food processor, so use our Vitamix blender CAREFULLY! Too much and it all turns to mush/liquid. Too little, and have to spend too much time with scissors after defrosting a serving... A batch will usually give me a couple med size zip lock bags. Flatten, freeze and break off and usually mix with a cube of Hikari Mysis.

Read some posts online about people not recommending doing what I do because it could "dirty" my water... Haven't done it long enough to prove right or wrong.... But I know my fish love it!

Crabs Mcjones likes this.
  16. dbl

I feed a cube of that, a cube of the same branded Brine and a chunk of LRS Reef or Fish Frenzy. So it's sort of like making my own food!

17. dbl

For those of you using frozen foods (be it frozen fish food or packaged frozen seafoods) in your recipes, is there any concern with re-freezing it after your make you blend it? I always thought you weren't supposed to re-freeze things but I could be wrong.

mta_morrow and Crabs Mcjones like this.
  18. mta_morrow

A little advice when using a food processor to blend and not get mush........

Put everything your going to blend in the freezer for a while.

Wait til it’s semi frozen.

Then put it in the processor without any additional water.

Pieces stay small, but not microscopic!

19. cracker

cracker Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

I use a combination of both packaged & raw fresh food from he sea. My base is rod's herbivore I use ocean krill clorella flake,fish roe sometimes . I add finely minced oyster,clam & while chopped glass minnows. then a shot of Vita chem for marinating. I'll add other fresh fish foods if I bring home a fish for dinner. I'll make up enough for a couple days & store in the fridge. there is always smaller bits for the little fish in one tank & bigger pieces for the bigger boys in the other.
    I'm always open to other sea related food to add. I have been considering worms of some sort though. I'd like to get some LRS as well.

Crabs Mcjones and mta_morrow like this.
  20. mta_morrow

I know next time I make my next batch, I won’t be thawing and adding mysis, then refreezing.

I will take a chunk of my blend, then thaw, rinse, and add the mysis when ready to feed.

dbl and Crabs Mcjones like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted