Votes: 124 29.2%

• Total voters

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering how many actually target feed your corals? If so, do you have a regularly scheduled feeding or just do it randomly? Or maybe just your NPS corals if you have them? Or do you simply rely on your light source and let them "eat" from what's ever in the water column?

Jayp5117

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never feed my fish, I feed my corals and the fish get all the fly aways which is plenty. Basically kills 2 birds one stone and keeps nutrients down.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides fish poop and the broadcast feeding, I'll feed them either Phyto or mixture of Reef Frenzy, Marine Snow with Rotifers or Cyclopeeze once a week.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Twice a week I target feed a mixture of reef nutrition oyster feast and roe, reef roids and LRS reef frenzy to the larger LPS. Rest of the week I feed LRS reef frenzy and PE Cyclops and what they catch they eat. Every now and then I'll feed some oyster feast and roe to broadcast feed before the lights come on.

TimothyTran

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I do is put some frozen pods in my tank, turn off return pumps and leave on Power head so the pods can circulate throughout the tank and also the fish can eat

Holy_makerel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed mine 2x a week with phytofeast, reef roids, and my frozen mix which has oysters, clams, octopus, squid, sardines, krill, mysis, cyclopes, shrimp eggs, marine cuisine, and a healthy dose of selcon(probably forgetting something too). Mixed and frozen into cubes.

I feed the frozen mix to fish daily as well.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I target feed once a week every week, and sometimes a second time in during the week.

I have a mixed reef which does include a ryhzo and dendros that have to be fed, but I also have meaty lps like micromussa and blastomussa as well as soft corals and some sps. The ones that eat meaty food get a mix of LRS / Mysis / Pellets and everyone else gets some reef roids basted in their direction. I typically turn off all flow in the tank for about 30 minutes as I feed right before weekly water change. If I feed a second time I usually turn everything off less the return. If you are not overfeeding and polluting your tank there is very little if any downside to target feeding.

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah! The tank is broadcast fed oyster feast 2x daily and sps is target fed sps max (Dr. G's) 3x per week and Lps is fed Lps max (Dr. G's) 2x per week. Softies fend for themselves.

I also broadcast dose R.O.E. 2x and mysis feast 3x per day which the lps eat.

Frag tank corals are fed the same foods but (usually) daily.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never target feed. I use Red Sea Reef Energy and occasionally liquid phytoplankton but that's it. I have in the past used reef roids but now stick with reef energy.

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put some reef roids or reef chili in the LRS twice a week depending on which one I grab and brodcast that with the food. Only coral I target feed is my Duncan.

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally have yet to see any noticeable results of directly feeding corals. I typically don't see great results using oyster feast, reef roids or other coral foods. I stick to feeding fish twice per day, once with dry autofeeder food and the other with frozen food (in addition to algae sheets).

BlennyKravitz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rod’s Food coral blend plus oyster feast, Reef Roids and Reef Chili plus a squirt of Red Sea Reef Energy 2-3x a week after lights out with all pumps off for a couple minutes when my scolys, bowerbankis and acans etc. are wide open. I then run the powerheads on low speed for five minutes with the return off so all my SPS can eat.

I also feed Rod’s Food and Reef Energy in the morning right when lights come on and I never strain anything.

My corals are popping and my fish are fat. I use GFO, frequent water changes and NoPox to keep nutrient levels in check.

I’d imagine I have some pretty big bristleworms lurking in my rocks and sand, but I just pretend I don’t see them.

I believe in big nutrient import/export and blast the sticks with flow and light all day. That’s how you get those insane colors you drool over in the photos. I’m getting there!

Hpolascik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed mine at least once a week with a heavy dose. I mix reef roofs, reef chili, reef bugs, and several others. I mix them all together n let them sit for a lil while then feed each coral several times. Any left over in broadcast in tank

Old Glory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to mix it up. Reef Energy A&B 2-3 times per week. Target Mysis and Reef Chilli and Reef Roids mixed 1-2 times a week for my LPS . Add rotifers to frozen food plus Reef Roids and broadcast 1-2 times per week. Regular food is two cubes of frozen 1 cube mysis 1 cube spirolina brine with Selcon.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every so often I feed some fish roe,some of the red juice from rinsed frozen food & ocean plankton. I really don't see any difference. Now my bubble coral likes a tiny piece of this or that.

Back