View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(lol)
Too ;Oldman

But... Skydiving is still on the bucket list

:)
Is on my wife’s as well was in the Air Force and kept my feet on the firm ground. Why jump out of a perfectly good aircraft when is fully capable of landing. ;)

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certified Dive Master here. Been diving for over 25 years, but still so many dives left to do...

My top 5 sites I've dove:
1) Manta Ray Night Dive (Kona, HI)
2) Stingray City (St. John's, Antigua)
3) Outer Molokini Crater (Maui, HI)
4) Bluefish Cove (Monterey, CA)
5) State Line - North Shore (Lake Tahoe, CA)

I've yet to get out to anywhere in Asia or NZ/AU - both of which are destinations that will happen. Just have to wait for my two girls (3yrs and 18mo) to get old enough to dive (14 more years to go...). :)

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I have made dives in open deep water 110 ft off West palm, Bahama's the Keys . fresh water spring & cavern diving here in Florida. No cave diving ! Didn't like the creepy closed in feel of that. Also dove kelp forests off Baja & South Cali. I even saw a wolf eel diving Monhigan island off the coast of Maine. That water was COLD . I can say for sure I spent a lot more than double the hours scraping boat hulls then sport diving ! Once upon a time, I was number one barnacle buster ! LOL

Last edited:

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why jump out of a perfectly good aircraft when is fully capable of landing. ;)

(lol)
Maybe I could jump tandem while wearing scuba gear :)

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need to have an option for Used To But Don't Anymore. In my 20s (I'm 44 now) I used to teach it down in South Florida, was certified through PADI to be a Scuba Instructor at the South Eastern Diving Institute or SEDI, Medic First Aid Instructor and various other specialty certifications. I since moved to another state and then hey life and kids happen.

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plan is to get our faces wet snorkeling in Florida this summer and then possibly try scuba diving when we go to Hawaii in 2-3yrs.

rstrann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plan is to get our faces wet snorkeling in Florida this summer and then possibly try scuba diving when we go to Hawaii in 2-3yrs.

Even if you don't scuba in Hawaii you'll LOVE the snorkeling there! Hanuama Bay is a great place to start. Very calm water since the entire reef is a flooded volcano crater that blocks the waves :)

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have my answer to your poll - "Used to dive regularly but is no longer active."

I dove frequently both locally and on vacation trips for about 20 years. I stopped diving about 10 years ago because 1) my wife/dive buddy had neck surgery and was advised not to dive again, 2) after 9/11, complicated international travel with heavy baggage containing unfamiliar and dangerous-looking devices that absolutely have to get to the destination with you became exponentially more difficult and unpleasant (and I am not a patient person), and 3) I had gotten to the point where I was returning to some of my favorite destinations of earlier years, and wasn't liking what I was seeing in many of those places (less fish life and diversity).

I learned to dive and started diving in the Pacific Northwest. Dry suit diving. All over Puget Sound and up around Vancouver Island. Giant anemones, giant crabs, wolf eels, giant octopi, current dives.

In the Caribbean, I've dove Belize 3X, twice on a liveaboard (including diving the famous Blue Hole - completely overrated as an actual dive), and once at a little resort way south on Glover's Reef. Little Cayman and Cayman Brac once, Turks & Caicos once, and wonderful pinnacle diving at the tiny island of Saba. Never been to Cozumel, the Bay Islands, Bonaire, Florida.

In the Eastern Pacific, Galapagos Islands twice. Multiple whale shark encounters there. Cocos Island off the Pacific coast of Costa Rica once - Huge schools of hammerhead sharks, many other kinds of sharks (didn't see any tigers, though), massive rivers of fish and bait balls, giant manta rays. Also did a short novelty trip for cage diving with great whites at Guadalupe Island off Baja.

In the Indo-Pacific - Hawaii and Fiji many times, Palau 3X, Yap (for mantas), Truk Lagoon (for wrecks; deepest one we did was the San Francisco Maru, 170 ft at the deck), the Solomons, northern Great Barrier Reef, Papua New Guinea twice (fantastic 'muck diving' - shallow water just off remote beaches, with amazing varieties of of known and undescribed creatures, dives lasting 3 hours, cuttlefish and huge lionfish coming out to hunt at twilight.) The Maldives, so far away that if we were to try and go any further, we'd start coming back; saw horrible coral bleaching there after a particularly severe El Nino (this was before most people were thinking about global warming.) Indonesia twice. Thailand and the Burma Banks (for more whale sharks and mantas). Probably others I'm not remembering at the moment. Pacific diving is fantastic; water is less clear than in the Caribbean but the biodiversity is much greater.

Never made it to the Red Sea; wanted to, but was only willing to sign on with a liveaboard that would guarantee going south for the best diving near the Sudanese border, and I could never get that assurance from any operator. Mildly ironic that I now have two Red Sea aquaria.

Also, oddly enough, I was an active aquarist before I was a diver and now again after I stopped diving, but I didn't keep any aquaria while I was a diver.;Bored

Last edited:

skiergd011013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive only snorkeled, and im happy with just that. It is amazing. I wont scuba. I will not voluntarily put my life in a position where it 100% depends on a piece of equipment functioning. I would also never go in a submarine. Its just not for me.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like a natural fit - scuba diving and snorkeling to our saltwater reef addictions. We are curious how many members dive and/or snorkel on a regular basis. One of our RS members, @saltyhog, has started a thread here on the topic. So, do you dive or just enjoy sea creatures in your living room?
I want to go snorkeling!! Is there a thread on here for first timers because I have no clue where to go haha but I know there is plenty of places down here in so cal

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive only snorkeled, and im happy with just that. It is amazing. I wont scuba. I will not voluntarily put my life in a position where it 100% depends on a piece of equipment functioning. I would also never go in a submarine. Its just not for me.

What do you want to do? Live forever! :eek:

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get a chance to take the trip out to Lighthouse reef(it's an all day excursion) do it! It's a very healthy reef with abundant life on it. This is the trip that goes to The Blue Hole first which is an ok, bucket list dive to 130+ feet. The other two dives on that trip are spectacular.

This is a video from that trip. Forgive the poor quality it was one of my first attempts at filming a dive.

This^^^

We just dove Belize last Month, we dive at least every 6 months, next is Curacao then to Cozumel in Aug.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back