Votes: 67 13.1%

• Total voters

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like a natural fit - scuba diving and snorkeling to our saltwater reef addictions. We are curious how many members dive and/or snorkel on a regular basis. One of our RS members, @saltyhog, has started a thread here on the topic. So, do you dive or just enjoy sea creatures in your living room?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got back from costa Maya it was amazing. It was a sea fan forest with the biggest ones being 4 ft tall 3 ft wide maybe bigger. Stingrays and an eel and not to mention all the fish it was outstanding.

My middle son is hooked now. Took some convincing about half an hour of begging and he went. He will go every time now.

g5flier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been reefing for 33 years (off and on, now on!) and diving for 31 years. Just returned from a week on Roatan Honduras, 14 fantastic dives, 3 at night, just over 500 dives all time. Seeing reefs in all their glory is just amazing. Its so funny when you hear the issues on R2R about "I have algae in my tank" when the live rock on a reef is covered in either corals or macro algae of some sort. Or "my X fish just ate my Y fish" when on a reef that's pretty much the norm. I'd encourage any one in this hobby health permitting to consider taking up diving.

mckinleyw

AIRBORNE REEFER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I WISH!! As of now im not certified to dive. I have always wanted to though. I have snorkeled a bit. Life is just too busy right now for me to delve into these. I sit in front of my tank and pretend does that count?

stylaster

Reefer since '90
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Went snorkeling in the Philippines near Coron. It was one of the most amazing experiences! I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a certified diver but only went snorkeling when I was at the Grand Cayman's last week since the wife isn't. I have to say, what I saw made me sad. I have never seen so much brown algae on a reef before. I spent 45 minutes in the water at the first stop and never saw a single invert. Tangs were in short supply. I'm hoping that isn't indicative of the way the rest of the reefs in the area are deteriorating.

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ben diving since 1972. I have a boat and just gave away all my equipment to a member a few months ago. I dove for lobsters every week for quite a few years.

Dang the lobsters we have back home in Borneo are whole lot different as they're spiny lobsters (Panulirus Ornatus) with lots more fleshy & sweeter meat. For that reason ... I would love to dive :D.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would absolutely love to go snorkeling on a reef. It's on my bucket list, but it's a ways away :(

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang the lobsters we have back home in Borneo are whole lot different as they're spiny lobsters (Panulirus Ornatus) with lots more fleshy & sweeter meat. For that reason ... I would love to dive :D.

We get these. I was allowed to take 6 a day with my license. :p

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been diving ~28 years, reefing 1. Been on an 8 year diving hideous, but I just booked a trip to Belize, can't wait.

If you get a chance to take the trip out to Lighthouse reef(it's an all day excursion) do it! It's a very healthy reef with abundant life on it. This is the trip that goes to The Blue Hole first which is an ok, bucket list dive to 130+ feet. The other two dives on that trip are spectacular.

This is a video from that trip. Forgive the poor quality it was one of my first attempts at filming a dive.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(lol)
Too ;Oldman

But... Skydiving is still on the bucket list

giphy.gif

:)

Last edited:

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
instructor/retired.
haven't been wet since '91.
Cayman Brac
been all over the Bahamas (sailboat live aboard)
British BVI (live aboard) <----- disappointing
Ambergris Caye, Belize
Florida (gulf stream drifting off Tequesta, wrecks off Lauderdale, reefs and Coast Guard cutter wrecks in the Keys, snorkeling with manatees at Crystal River, Ginnie Springs cavern dives
Great Lakes wreck diving
Hawaii, dive guide had a WW2 tank in 65' in open water, nothing else around it. covered with marine life. lava tube dives.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a certified diver but only went snorkeling when I was at the Grand Cayman's last week since the wife isn't. I have to say, what I saw made me sad. I have never seen so much brown algae on a reef before. I spent 45 minutes in the water at the first stop and never saw a single invert. Tangs were in short supply. I'm hoping that isn't indicative of the way the rest of the reefs in the area are deteriorating.
Costa maya had a fantastic reef. Oh saw a few stars. a large hermit, serpent star tentacle and fish every were

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 37 77.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back