Poll: Scuba Diving / Snorkeling

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by dbl, Feb 28, 2018.

?
  1. Yes - Regularly/Often

31 vote(s)
    6.1%
  2. Yes - Whenever I get the opporutunity

198 vote(s)
    38.8%
  3. Yes - Just snorkeling - I'm not dive certified

127 vote(s)
    24.9%
  4. No - But I plan to in the near future

100 vote(s)
    19.6%
  5. No - I have no interest

67 vote(s)
    13.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. dbl

dbl It Takes Less Energy to be Nice Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

Seems like a natural fit - scuba diving and snorkeling to our saltwater reef addictions. We are curious how many members dive and/or snorkel on a regular basis. One of our RS members, @saltyhog, has started a thread here on the topic. So, do you dive or just enjoy sea creatures in your living room?

Tags:

2. sfin52

sfin52 Valuable Member

Just got back from costa Maya it was amazing. It was a sea fan forest with the biggest ones being 4 ft tall 3 ft wide maybe bigger. Stingrays and an eel and not to mention all the fish it was outstanding.

My middle son is hooked now. Took some convincing about half an hour of begging and he went. He will go every time now.

3. g5flier

g5flier Active Member Build Thread Contributor

Been reefing for 33 years (off and on, now on!) and diving for 31 years. Just returned from a week on Roatan Honduras, 14 fantastic dives, 3 at night, just over 500 dives all time. Seeing reefs in all their glory is just amazing. Its so funny when you hear the issues on R2R about "I have algae in my tank" when the live rock on a reef is covered in either corals or macro algae of some sort. Or "my X fish just ate my Y fish" when on a reef that's pretty much the norm. I'd encourage any one in this hobby health permitting to consider taking up diving.

Captain Quint, samnaz, GoVols and 2 others like this.
  4. cracker

cracker Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

I'm certified & have all the equipment but haven't dove or snorkeled in a long time.

Captain Quint, sfin52 and GoVols like this.
  5. DancingShark

DancingShark Well-Known Member

Was just talking about bucket list at work yesterday. This was one.
    I said I wanted to swim in a coral reef before I die and just stop and said or before they die. It's all just really sad.

medicw131, Katrina71, samnaz and 3 others like this.
  6. mckinleyw

mckinleyw AIRBORNE REEFER R2R Supporter Tampa Bay Reef Keepers Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

I WISH!! As of now im not certified to dive. I have always wanted to though. I have snorkeled a bit. Life is just too busy right now for me to delve into these. I sit in front of my tank and pretend does that count?

samnaz, sfin52 and GoVols like this.
  7. stylaster

stylaster Reefer since '90 R2R Supporter Reef Spotlight Award R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

8. miPapareef

miPapareef Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019

Been diving ~28 years, reefing 1. Been on an 8 year diving hideous, but I just booked a trip to Belize, can't wait.

9. mdbannister

mdbannister Ahh...the Reef Life Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

Went snorkeling in the Philippines near Coron. It was one of the most amazing experiences! I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

10. Paul B

Paul B Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Spotlight Award Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

Ben diving since 1972. I have a boat and just gave away all my equipment to a member a few months ago. I dove for lobsters every week for quite a few years.

11. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor North Alabama Reef Club

I'm a certified diver but only went snorkeling when I was at the Grand Cayman's last week since the wife isn't. I have to say, what I saw made me sad. I have never seen so much brown algae on a reef before. I spent 45 minutes in the water at the first stop and never saw a single invert. Tangs were in short supply. I'm hoping that isn't indicative of the way the rest of the reefs in the area are deteriorating.

Katrina71, DLHDesign and GoVols like this.
  12. Sea MunnKey

Sea MunnKey Valuable Member

Dang the lobsters we have back home in Borneo are whole lot different as they're spiny lobsters (Panulirus Ornatus) with lots more fleshy & sweeter meat. For that reason ... I would love to dive :D.

GoVols and Paul B like this.
  13. Crabs Mcjones

Crabs Mcjones Millepora Maniac Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

I would absolutely love to go snorkeling on a reef. It's on my bucket list, but it's a ways away :(

Katrina71 and GoVols like this.
  14. DangerDave

DangerDave Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor NJRC Member

My answer would be...Yes, but it's been a long time.

sfin52 and GoVols like this.
  15. Paul B

Paul B Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Spotlight Award Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

We get these. I was allowed to take 6 a day with my license. :p

[​IMG]

16. saltyhog

saltyhog Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019

If you get a chance to take the trip out to Lighthouse reef(it's an all day excursion) do it! It's a very healthy reef with abundant life on it. This is the trip that goes to The Blue Hole first which is an ok, bucket list dive to 130+ feet. The other two dives on that trip are spectacular.

This is a video from that trip. Forgive the poor quality it was one of my first attempts at filming a dive.

17. GoVols

GoVols Cobb-Webb 1989 R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader MTRCMember R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

(lol)
    Too ;Oldman

But... Skydiving is still on the bucket list

[​IMG]

:)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  18. sfin52

sfin52 Valuable Member

Go on a cruise it’s closer than you think ;)

NowGlazeIT and saltyhog like this.
  19. sp1187

sp1187 Active Member Build Thread Contributor

instructor/retired.
    haven't been wet since '91.
    Cayman Brac
    been all over the Bahamas (sailboat live aboard)
    British BVI (live aboard) <----- disappointing
    Ambergris Caye, Belize
    Florida (gulf stream drifting off Tequesta, wrecks off Lauderdale, reefs and Coast Guard cutter wrecks in the Keys, snorkeling with manatees at Crystal River, Ginnie Springs cavern dives
    Great Lakes wreck diving
    Hawaii, dive guide had a WW2 tank in 65' in open water, nothing else around it. covered with marine life. lava tube dives.

Katrina71, Captain Quint and sfin52 like this.
  20. sfin52

sfin52 Valuable Member

Costa maya had a fantastic reef. Oh saw a few stars. a large hermit, serpent star tentacle and fish every were

Captain Quint and Brew12 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted