Possible leak

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No obvious block though. Gonna pull out the intake to look at it closer. The outtake can't be clogged. Too much pressure and clear tubing
The filters in the sump. Check to make sure there's no blockage in the sump its self. If water is slowed in the sump it will cause the pump chamber to be low.

stevolough

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That style overflow can hold a lot of water and fluctuate depending on your pump output. The level can go up and down and you might not notice. Do you use a adjustable dc pump? That loop in your sump line might cause flow variations

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That style overflow can hold a lot of water and fluctuate depending on your pump output. The level can go up and down and you might not notice. Do you use a adjustable dc pump? That loop in your sump line might cause flow variations
It's a DC pump but I've had it stay consistent for 2 months. Really think it could be this drastic randomly 2 months later?

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others said I bet your fighting with air pockets somewhere, I got away from the durso setup for that reason. Adjusting the air valve atop of it was a pita and when the return pump would restart it would periodically air lock the primary drain until the pressure equalized, a loud whoosh and the primary drain was back in business. I went back to a herbie style drain and the surge issues on the drain side went away.

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others said I bet your fighting with air pockets somewhere, I got away from the durso setup for that reason. Adjusting the air valve atop of it was a pita and when the return pump would restart it would periodically air lock the primary drain until the pressure equalized, a loud whoosh and the primary drain was back in business. I went back to a herbie style drain and the surge issues on the drain side went away.
Ok I'll look into this. Just hope there isn't a leak. First tank was a manufacturing defect and I had to rip it apart. Lost my first scape that I loved. Got ticked trying to recreat it so I hope the tank is fine...

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Probably the drain as many have said BUT....while messing with the skimmer did you adjust it at all and could it possibly be skimming more water now that it was before?

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Changes in outside humidity can significantly alter evaporation day to day and week to week even with AC set at a constant temperture. Also, changes in activity where outside doors are opened a lot more will alter evapration rates. And FWIW a couple of my 70 gallon frag tanks can loose a gallon a day. Even a slow leak is going to build up salt creep pretty fast so if you're not seeing wet spots anywhere they're not supposed to be, water level in your display tank isn't changing then I'd attribute it to evaporation.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back