Possible Velvet Outbreak

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: checked water today, it seems very cloudy. Is this a result of dosing antibiotics and a heavily-stocked tank?

Bacterial bloom, I would do a pretty large waterchange. Keep up the 02 as much as possible (air stone and a powerhead aimed at the surface at minimum)

Make sure to re-dose the replaced water according to it’s volume. Preferably before it hits the tank.

OP
OP
M

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacterial bloom, I would do a pretty large waterchange. Keep up the 02 as much as possible (air stone and a powerhead aimed at the surface at minimum)

Make sure to re-dose the replaced water according to it’s volume. Preferably before it hits the tank.

Funny thing is, I just did a 33% water change a while ago. I have the filter foam with an air hose attachment, wavemaker pointed at the surface and my overhead filter aiding oxygenation.

I'll try to do a 10-gallon water change tomorrow, but that would mean my furan-2, kanaplex and metroplex would just be 12 hours in the water, is it alright?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try to do a 10-gallon water change tomorrow, but that would mean my furan-2, kanaplex and metroplex would just be 12 hours in the water, is it alright?

Just dose the new water like you would normally for 10-gallons, to be safe.

I usually try to time my water changes for right before the next dose... that way I only have to worry about the copper in the new water. But, if you find yourself in need of a change in between doses ^ that’s what I would do.

OP
OP
M

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just dose the new water like you would normally for 10-gallons, to be safe.

I usually try to time my water changes for right before the next dose... that way I only have to worry about the copper in the new water. But, if you find yourself in need of a change in between doses ^ that’s what I would do.

I'm sorry I don't understand.

I'm not actually concerned with my copper dosing, but more of the other meds (the antibacterial trifecta). Could I delay the water change for another 36 hours or so?

OP
OP
M

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I found a thread on bacterial blooms here. I think the present course of action would be to wait it out and hope it wouldn't result in an ammonia spike. Hope this would clear out quickly. I'll make sure to feed just once a day so as to prevent overproduction of waste. I'll do a 20-25% water change after 36 hours (which would be in time for me to redose my antibacterial trifecta).

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry I don't understand.

I'm not actually concerned with my copper dosing, but more of the other meds (the antibacterial trifecta). Could I delay the water change for another 36 hours or so?

Like, if you are removing 10 gallons from your QT and adding 10 gallons of new salt water... and you are using a medication with the dosage of 1 scoop per 10 gallons, then add 1 scoop to the new water. Just replacing whatever you’ve taken out.

You don’t HAVE to wait for the next dose, but it is definitely much more efficient to do so. But say, you have an ammonia spike and have to do an emergency water change NOW... you can. If that makes sense?

OP
OP
M

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like, if you are removing 10 gallons from your QT and adding 10 gallons of new salt water... and you are using a medication with the dosage of 1 scoop per 10 gallons, then add 1 scoop to the new water. Just replacing whatever you’ve taken out.

You don’t HAVE to wait for the next dose, but it is definitely much more efficient to do so. But say, you have an ammonia spike and have to do an emergency water change NOW... you can. If that makes sense?

Oh alright, I get it now. Sorry for being too slow to understand.

OP
OP
M

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Powder Blue Tang’s upper dorsal fin is torn/rotten at the site of the red sores. So basically, now instead of a red sore, it’s torn/rotten. However, as for the tail and lower dorsal, only a part of it is torn/rotten,What happened here? @4FordFamily @ngoodermuth, bringing in @Humblefish as well.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Powder Blue Tang’s upper dorsal fin is torn/rotten at the site of the red sores. So basically, now instead of a red sore, it’s torn/rotten. However, as for the tail and lower dorsal, only a part of it is torn/rotten,What happened here? @4FordFamily @ngoodermuth, bringing in @Humblefish as well.

Bacterial infection, these can tough to get a handle on in copper as it suppresses the immune system. It’s a double edged sword the copper will save its life but allows bacterial infections to progress. Keep dosing the ABX’s as fish may be slow to respond to them especially in copper.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Were you able to find acriflavine? I know petsmart near me usually has API fungus cure. Really helpful to slow these things down while the antibiotics have a chance to kick in...

OP
OP
M

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacterial infection, these can tough to get a handle on in copper as it suppresses the immune system. It’s a double edged sword the copper will save its life but allows bacterial infections to progress. Keep dosing the ABX’s as fish may be slow to respond to them especially in copper.

ABX is antibiotics right?

Were you able to find acriflavine? I know petsmart near me usually has API fungus cure. Really helpful to slow these things down while the antibiotics have a chance to kick in...

There’s no way for me to source acriflavine locally, however, I’ll check for API Fungus Cure later. Will it be alright to dose it along with other antibiotics and copper?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s no way for me to source acriflavine locally, however, I’ll check for API Fungus Cure later. Will it be alright to dose it along with other antibiotics and copper?

It would be administered as a 90 minute bath, in a separate container. I use a 5-gallon bucket with a small heater and airline. Should be aerated before and during the bath.

OP
OP
M

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick Update: PBT's red sores are 90+% gone and the fin rot stopped progressing. I wasn't able to buy API Fungus Cure due to availability issues. I'll continue to observe the fish. I'll do a 10-gallon WC today and do my second dose of antibiotics. And the cloudy water cleared yesterday.

Meanwhile, I have to deal with lethargy issues: Haven't seen my PBT and Blue Tang eat today (PBT also did not eat yesterday). Probably the meds doings. Will check my final Cu concentration today via my Hanna Checker.

Last edited:

sean rand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick Update: PBT's red sores are 90+% gone and the fin rot stopped progressing. I wasn't able to buy API Fungus Cure due to availability issues. I'll continue to observe the fish. I'll do a 10-gallon WC today and do my second dose of antibiotics.

Meanwhile, I have to deal with lethargy issues: Haven't seen my PBT and Blue Tang eat today (PBT also did not eat yesterday). Probably the meds doings. Will check my final Cu concentration today via my Hanna Checker.
You said u qt your fish b4 adding them to your system. Is that true?
If yes how religious were u at qt? Im just trying to figure out how velvet got in ur system

OP
OP
M

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said u qt your fish b4 adding them to your system. Is that true?
If yes how religious were u at qt? Im just trying to figure out how velvet got in ur system

Yes, very religious in QTing fish, I have two possible sources of the velvet:
1. Inverts - introduced them without QT
2. Aerosol transmission - QT is < 10ft away, and the source might’ve been the fish when introduced to the QT (I kept my QT copper-free for 1-2 weeks for newly introduced fish). I’ll change this and have my QT maintaining 0.25 mg/L of copper and just ramp up when fish is introduced.

sean rand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, very religious in QTing fish, I have two possible sources of the velvet:
1. Inverts - introduced them without QT
2. Aerosol transmission - QT is < 10ft away, and the source might’ve been the fish when introduced to the QT (I kept my QT copper-free for 1-2 weeks for newly introduced fish). I’ll change this and have my QT maintaining 0.25 mg/L of copper and just ramp up when fish is introduced.
Wow. That really sucks!!!!
Im setting up a tank now and i have my qt kess then 10 ft from my sump.

sean rand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have gotten about 5 fish throigh qt that arr doing well in DT but the way it sounds i might b transsmitting via arosal transmission. SMH

Back