OP
Sea Witch

Sea Witch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firstly, for more dets there are additional articles that can be found by clicking on the ones posted above.

Ummm I'm no genius but from what I read ..
Hawaii wasn't keeping up with enforcement of the commercial license.
The 41 businesses that were paying those fees got tired of the moocher's and figured out a way to force the others to either get out of the water or pay for the license.
It worked... Like it says Hawaii officials WERE NOT THE ONES THAT INITIATED THE INSPECTION IT WAS THE 41.
No limits were even set ... Just more product for those that are following the rules.
Seems everyone was quick to think the ban was legitimately occuring as of now. When in fact the 41 can still fish... The others simply need an addendum to the already completed report and pay the fees. I understand that if people are willing to pay then there's not much anyone can do...and that wouldn't be a rip off But I find it a bit upsetting that we support the LFS and online shops, whose business it is to know current practices. Yet not one post have I been able to find where any of them CLARIFIED those misleading post. It wouldn't have been so bad if they hadn't "GameStop" us.... But they went for the $400-$1000+.

OP
OP
Sea Witch

Sea Witch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The report was thrown out because it was pretty much garbage and didn't even attempt to answer the most important questions they wanted answered. You should read the links provided and follow up on a couple of them. There are a few disturbing numbers I saw right off the bat. Over 500 thousand fish collected first year, then the numbers steadily decrease by a significant number each year after. I would like to know why. Was it because they tried to catch less? Maybe they weren't correctly reporting? Fewer fish available to collect? We as a hobby need a more complete and more thorough report before we make up our minds. I have personally seen dramatic decreases in yellow and achilles tang populations in Hawaii. Food comes before anything else. The people of Hawaii take their environment very serious and personal. I understand this. If someone kept coming by your house and cutting a rose off your bush or grabbed a couple of oranges out of the tree in your front yard, wouldn't you be upset? I'd be much happier if you asked and gave me good reason why you need to do it.
Seems to me it's the underreporting... That's what those persons providing information have shared.

OP
OP
Sea Witch

Sea Witch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All CMLs issued or renewed on Nov. 27, 2020, or later will include terms and conditions that prohibit the take or possession of marine life for commercial aquarium purposes, including the possession of aquarium fishing gear for commercial aquarium purposes, without completing a HEPA review.”
I am pretty sure this says it is illegal to catch fish for aquariums starting now.
You have to keep reading... The journalist that wrote this was using a bit of trickery in the wording.. it certainly got people's attention... Sooooo

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to keep reading... The journalist that wrote this was using a bit of trickery in the wording.. it certainly got people's attention... Sooooo
I see, but the question is, when do they expire?
This one says no CML is valid for aquarium collection.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more I read into the ban, the more I agree with it. The EIS that was submitted failed in answering most of the questions it was supposed to. It seems like the people who were collecting the fish were under reporting. I believe they under reported because the law stipulates that you have to keep the fish alive and healthy until you sell them. By under reporting, it becomes a lot easier to lie about the fish dying under their care. The numbers that were reported are rather staggering to me personally. 500 thousand fish in one year. Many of these fish are capable of living for decades in captivity.
The EIS the court demands is very expensive and would take a long time to do it. If the hobby as a whole wants this ban lifted the best course of action in my opinion would be to donate to an organization that conduct the study for us. I am sure someone can find a grad student at UH that is willing to work on it. ORA or BIOTA might be a good match as well. Just my .02

OP
OP
Sea Witch

Sea Witch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see, but the question is, when do they expire?
This one says no CML is valid for aquarium collection.
The one I shared earlier is more recent than this...

OP
OP
Sea Witch

Sea Witch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more I read into the ban, the more I agree with it. The EIS that was submitted failed in answering most of the questions it was supposed to. It seems like the people who were collecting the fish were under reporting. I believe they under reported because the law stipulates that you have to keep the fish alive and healthy until you sell them. By under reporting, it becomes a lot easier to lie about the fish dying under their care. The numbers that were reported are rather staggering to me personally. 500 thousand fish in one year. Many of these fish are capable of living for decades in captivity.
The EIS the court demands is very expensive and would take a long time to do it. If the hobby as a whole wants this ban lifted the best course of action in my opinion would be to donate to an organization that conduct the study for us. I am sure someone can find a grad student at UH that is willing to work on it. ORA or BIOTA might be a good match as well. Just my .02
The environmental survey has been completed, submitted and approved.

kevin318

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I can see how an LFS— or just people in general— could get that impression from the first two headlines you linked to:

Court Effectively Ends Aquarium Fishing In West Hawai’i With Environmental Ruling

Judge Bans All Aquarium Fishing In Hawai’i

Not to be contrarian, but if your point is that ‘the factory won’t stop making toilet paper until NEXT week,’ I think people will start stocking up now, no? Just sayin’ .
True story!

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Simple, call a handful of the 41 and ask them. They will know best as it's their lively hood and licenses at stake, plus, they need to know the rules they are bound by. So instead of us reading articles or what the law/politics said, just go to the 41 and ask if they will continue to fish..

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad i still have my two adult sized yellow tangs lol. Bought one two years ago for like 50$ in petco.. and another someone gave me a year ago for free.

All my other tangs and two fox faces and other fish are still alive too.

Havent had any fish deaths in years.. although im noticing ichcis taking over ny tank slowely again. Since my uv sterilizer died a month ago. And i havent had ny 25 micron filter oads in either. My uv and pads were keeping ich virtually unseen. Now its everywhere daily.

Hopefully my new one and my new pads come on wed.

OP
OP
Sea Witch

Sea Witch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a link to that one? Everything I have read says the only one submitted was rejected 7 - 0.
This is the most current I can find.
The article you are referring to is in regards to fine-mesh net fishing... A loophole that some were using. I shared below. Like I said I'm not a genius... So I love the feedback... I'm kinda invested because my yellow tang got caught in a gyre last week... Now imagine my surprise when I tried to get another one.

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say my local stores havent really been selling them too high yet... i see them around 150$ or so.. thats still alot but not like 500$

I dont see how these olaces taking advantage of raising the lrices on us. Any diff than them blaming the pandemic for making fish and coral prices jump 2-3x either.

Remember how fish went up 2x in lrice and thr excuse was because of shipping prices ?

OP
OP
Sea Witch

Sea Witch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say my local stores havent really been selling them too high yet... i see them around 150$ or so.. thats still alot but not like 500$

I dont see how these olaces taking advantage of raising the lrices on us. Any diff than them blaming the pandemic for making fish and coral prices jump 2-3x either.

Remember how fish went up 2x in lrice and thr excuse was because of shipping prices ?
Yes I remember them saying it was due to Covid... How could we even check to see .... They have the commodity and we're at their mercy

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 500$ Yellow tang was just price gouging and whoever bought one during this time is a complete and utter idiot. Just buy captive bred or wait so the stores have to bring down the price. It blew my mind that anyone in their right mind would spend that much on a yellow! Even 250 is gouging. The fact that CB costed less than wild shouldve woken up anybody even thinking of buying a wild one at this time. If this is true than the costumers are gonna get real mad real fast

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post on fish ban from Hawaii have a lot of fake news in them

I'm surprised more people haven't checked the details on something like this...
Its shocking to see how quickly LFS and online stores were to rip us off. I hope they adjust their pricing as quickly as they blew them up! The fisheries actually asked for more regulation on the commercial fishing license that were not being renewed. Only 41 fisheries of the more than 3000 reported catching any fish. The environmental reviews and other concerns were rectified.... PLUS NONE OF IT HAS STARTED YET!!! Plenty of articles in the "Big Island Now" news-page. . from HI

"While the First Circuit Court’s ruling will again hinder aquarium fishers’ push to keep their industry viable in West Hawai‘i, it won’t do so immediately.

The court recognized in its ruling Friday that shutting off access to aquarium fishing immediately for those with valid CMLs would “…cause economic hardship to aquarium fishers, their families, employees, and vendors.”

Due to this consideration, fishers will be allowed to carry out the practice until their permits run out, which will happen one year after the initial issuance. At that point, the fishers will need to reapply and will be subject to new environmental regulations that put their permits in serious doubt.

https://bigislandnow.com/2020/12/01/...mental-ruling/
https://bigislandnow.com/2021/01/13/...ing-in-hawaii/

https://bigislandnow.com/2020/12/09/...hing-licenses/

I wanted to share this but given how aggressive that original thread was I decided not to bother.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grew up in Hawaii and spent most of my life there. To understand how the government works there, you’d have to live there. Hawaii is one of the most secluded places in the world, further away from every continent. They have created many laws “just to be on the safe side”. They changed trash collection from twice a week to once a week and forced everyone to recycle. They banned plastic bags. They even put a bottle deposit on all drink bottles and cans. They then added an additional bottle tax. Sunscreen containing certain chemicals was banned outright to protect the reefs. So if the fishing ban is confusing, don’t be confused. The government is very sloppy in Hawaii and quick to make knee jerk decisions. There are also parts of Hawaii that are 100% protected and have been for years. No fishing, visiting, boating etc.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 500$ Yellow tang was just price gouging and whoever bought one during this time is a complete and utter idiot. Just buy captive bred or wait so the stores have to bring down the price. It blew my mind that anyone in their right mind would spend that much on a yellow! Even 250 is gouging. The fact that CB costed less than wild shouldve woken up anybody even thinking of buying a wild one at this time. If this is true than the costumers are gonna get real mad real fast

Captive bred is $280

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back