Potassium and SPS Corals

schminksbro

Guardian of The Blue Glow
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to start a thread to consolidate any information anecdotal or scientific relating to the effects of potassium in sps tanks.

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It brings out the blue's and purples -

Overdose it and you can wipe your whole tank out....

OP
OP
schminksbro

schminksbro

Guardian of The Blue Glow
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard about blues and purples but I have also heard that low potassium is detrimental to monties. Does anyone know the potassium levels in common brands of salt?

Reef Empire

I bleed saltwater.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We use Warner Marine Potassium, and we love it. +1 for the blues/purples, but I think it helps all color in general. It is one of those things that you don't miss until its gone...

From what I've heard/read, its pretty tough to overdose with but don't quote me on that... (Maybe Jon can chime in here?) We're fairly liberal with our dosing, and have yet to see a downside with heavy, consistent use. My $0.02.

Dace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not dose potassium without a test kit, elos makes a good one, Yes you can over dose potassium. Tank water potassium should be around 380

JGoslee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use zeovit K balance strong. I dose it twice a week. I test with the korallen zucht test kit. I haven't really noticed to much of a difference. My colors look good but that could be do to a number of different things.

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is some info on Potassium from Brightwell Aquatics. It's under products called Potassion. We carry the powder version from Brightwell. It's excellent stuff!

Brightwell Aquatics

That is what I use - he is also the one that warned me about ODing it. (Chris from Brightwell)

cultivatedcoral

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sikryd,

Chris is very knowledgeable and has great products. I was lucky to meet him personally at a trade show last year and discuss his Neo Zeo method with him.

You definitely have to be careful with the Potassium as you mentioned earlier. It could be very detrimental when dosed in excess.

Jon Warner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An overdose of Potassium will burn new growth tips on SPS. Also, use a high quality ionically BALANCED Potassium product... straight KCl powder can be detrimental...

We've been using K in a number of our products for nearly 15 years... the importance of K is no surprise here.

eggie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a study of that was made by AWT of some salt brands
AWTSaltTestpotassium.jpg

I personally Use Reefers best salt cause it has potassium value of 380-400
so I dont have to dose

Last edited:

Werdlone

what?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great thread Andy!!! I have always struggled with purple in my tank, but the blues are great. I looked into dosing potassium, but had trouble finding a test kit and refuse to dose anything I don't test...besides VSV. I think it is time to get that kit and look into the brightwell product.

so which is the best test kit...?

bamachamp92

WIL E. COYOTE SUPERGENIUS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have had a few of the KZ test kits that dont work at all. Two out of three that we have bought have not clouded at all. One has worked but still not sure how accurate it is. JMO I would not get the KZ potassium kit. Not sure about the other ones but just trying to keep someone else from spending 40 dollars to find out the same thing.

mpoletti

Just a drunkard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats wierd is that I have never paid attention to my K levels as I have never really worried about it. Over the last couple months, a friend and I were going to try it out. I used some of the brightwells and I had one acro colony burn its tips and I thought it was high alk even though the alk is only 9. I also noticed a turaki colony start to bleach a bit where the banches leave the main stocks :( I was only using half the dosage as well. I have since stopped dosing it as my colors were fine before and I was just tinkinering. Oh well.

I-K@ndY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose Potassium once a week and only seen difference is my monti's are popping more ...

eggie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have had a few of the KZ test kits that dont work at all. Two out of three that we have bought have not clouded at all. One has worked but still not sure how accurate it is. JMO I would not get the KZ potassium kit. Not sure about the other ones but just trying to keep someone else from spending 40 dollars to find out the same thing.

Did you dose anything to see if the potassium was low and retest

eggie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats wierd is that I have never paid attention to my K levels as I have never really worried about it. Over the last couple months, a friend and I were going to try it out. I used some of the brightwells and I had one acro colony burn its tips and I thought it was high alk even though the alk is only 9. I also noticed a turaki colony start to bleach a bit where the banches leave the main stocks :( I was only using half the dosage as well. I have since stopped dosing it as my colors were fine before and I was just tinkinering. Oh well.

Mark what salt brand a re you using as not all the salts lack of potassium
maybe that why you got burn tips you were in the spot in first place

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this thread is old but it needs to be awaken. I have my tanks parameters stable but can't seem to wonder what minor trace elements are missing in my instant ocean salt (rendering my frequent water changes useless in replenishing minor trace elements). Most of my corals are SPS and since the beginning i've had a difficult time with pinks, purples, and blues so kind of convince to switch salts. I"ve been using instant ocean since I was a kid but feel its great for FOWLR and softies tanks. I prefer just to replenish potassium with my with 10% bi-weekly water changes but feel instant ocean might be low on this value.

Anyone switched from instant ocean because of potassium deficiency? Please suggest and advice!

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IO has always tested around 400 for me.

I've used it for 17 years on acropora dominant systems. My colors are fine...............I dose only alk and calc. along with 7-10% weekly water changes.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/big-e-rimless-80g-sps.206607/

I would look at your lighting if your nutrient levels are in the ballpark range.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back