Potential stuck cycle

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I used Dr. Tim's ammonium chloride along with his One and Only. @brandon429 please help!! Am I ok to do 40% water changes to kick the nitrates back and test in between each one? How will I know when my cycle is complete if i do the water changes?
I never did water changes, and everything fell in line but took 7 weeks. Are you running a skimmer?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I'm currently on day 13 of Dr. Tim's cycle and have been following his schedule for starting my cycle. I've dosed his ammonium chloride on his designated days, and dosed my 200 gallon tank with his One and Only on day 1 and another day on day 10 after email dissuasions with his team. My tank is currently at .25 ammonia, .1 nitrite, 100 nitrates, 7.8 pH (all with Salifert tests) and is kept at 84 degrees (per Dr. Tim's instructions).

I'm not sure why my ammonia or nitrites are at 0 yet, but I wanted to perform 2 40% water changes to at least bring down the nitrates to a tolerable level. My concern is that if I do that large of a water change (taking water from the water column and not disturbing the sand) that I'd disrupt the cycle.

How can I get my ammonia and nitrites to 0 so I can start adding my first fish (clownfish) to the tank? Is my cycle stuck, and if so how do I get it going again? I heard that I'm not supposed to (Dr. Tim says to avoid it) and i've heard that it can really mess up chemistry in the tank.

Please help this new reefer enjoy some fish in his new tank soon!

A couple thoughts:
  • Your cycle is most likely done and I suspect your measurements are just off due to our hobby-grade kits. Many kits often show 0.25 ammonia when it's zero.
  • Water changes won't hurt the cycle at this point as your biofilm is clearly working. It's a great way to reduce your nitrates.
  • I almost never worry about nitrites as they aren't typically harmful at those levels.

Last edited:

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I'm currently on day 13 of Dr. Tim's cycle and have been following his schedule for starting my cycle. I've dosed his ammonium chloride on his designated days, and dosed my 200 gallon tank with his One and Only on day 1 and another day on day 10 after email dissuasions with his team. My tank is currently at .25 ammonia, .1 nitrite, 100 nitrates, 7.8 pH (all with Salifert tests) and is kept at 84 degrees (per Dr. Tim's instructions).

I'm not sure why my ammonia or nitrites are at 0 yet, but I wanted to perform 2 40% water changes to at least bring down the nitrates to a tolerable level. My concern is that if I do that large of a water change (taking water from the water column and not disturbing the sand) that I'd disrupt the cycle.

How can I get my ammonia and nitrites to 0 so I can start adding my first fish (clownfish) to the tank? Is my cycle stuck, and if so how do I get it going again? I heard that I'm not supposed to (Dr. Tim says to avoid it) and i've heard that it can really mess up chemistry in the tank.

Please help this new reefer enjoy some fish in his new tank soon!
The 0.25 ppm is likely 0 ppm. The nitrites don’t matter in saltwater.

stylolvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that your cycle is most likely finished. Water change to reduce nitrate, then you could either dose a little ammonia as was mentioned previously to make sure it is converted if you don't feel comfortable with adding livestock, or if you are, start with a couple of fish (the clowns you list in your build thread are always a hardy option, especially tank-bred) and monitor. Patience is key, but looks like you've gotten yourself set up for success!

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights, skimmer, socks are all out. Skimmer is mainly off because I'm waiting for a stand to boost its height in the sump.
Anything will do. I use a plastic tote used for small parts etc. If you get it going your Nitrates will fall in line. Still dont like water change idea unless you cant get the sump going

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Arizona (Chandler). My system is in 2 parts and part 1 has sediment filter, 2 carbon filters, 2 RO membranes. Part 2 is the cation resin, an anion resin, and a mixed bed resin. Before flushing the system my TDS meter 200-250ish after part 1, after flushing, it goes down to about 17ish TDS before it does goes into the 3 resin canisters. Still getting 0 TDS as the end product.
hi ajtomase, I live on the Chandler/Gilbert border..we are close....

underthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrites do matter. If you don't have rock then I am surprised you have nitrites at all must be a false reading. Assuming the opposite if you do have rock in it then it will eventually. Then you don't have a quarantine tank. a quarantine tank is bare, and you have to do water changes to reduce ammonia. The idea is that you can clean the tank easily between quarantines

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back