Power out!!!

Angels 2010

Wrasse-a-holic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found out my power is going to be out tomorrow for up to 6 hours. Wife forgot to tell me sooner. I'm a bit worried. Fortunately I am off work so I will be home the whole time. I'm thinking if I take water out of the sump every now and then and dump it into the display, this will help with the surface agitation. Also, will taking a straw and blowing into the DT help? I can also stir the surface up well. Temp should be ok but if it gets too warm, i can drop in some bags of ice.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Dave

condor

CORAL DR.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after 9-11 hours your fish may start to use up a lot of oxy. but even then 80g tank w/ 8 fish even 18 hours you should still be ok. temp would be the bigger issue but you prolly good in CA

OP
OP
Angels 2010

Angels 2010

Wrasse-a-holic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks condor for the reply, i was able to get a battery operated air pump from petco, so hopefully i will be ok. As far as temp, i have some .5 liter bottles i put in the freezer if it becomes an issue.

shaggy420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive used a spatula to stir my tank up before during power outages. seemed to work ok. just stir the water to agitate the surface every couple hours and you should be fine

BEEKER

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stir with a spatula, use the air pump and you should be fine. The tank will not heat up as much without the lights. Ph can sometimes swing a little but everything should be fine.

OP
OP
Angels 2010

Angels 2010

Wrasse-a-holic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks beeker, i was just going to forego the air pump but i feel better having it now. Outside temp gets to 61 tonight and tomorrow is only supposed to be 86(down from 97 today) and like you said w/o the lights, temp should be no problem. House stays pretty cool most of the day as long as we close the windows early enough before the temp outside goes up and we bottle up the colder(61) air.

Thanks again for all the help everybody. I will update tomorrow after the power comes back on...

OP
OP
Angels 2010

Angels 2010

Wrasse-a-holic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
success, power is back on, and everything looks good, used the battery operated air pump continuously and stirred the water with a spatula(don't tell my wife LOL) about every half hour...

Thanks for all the help!!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back