Prime

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a quarantine tank going with one small watchman goby in it the ammonia is .5ppm. I had the problem previous so removed it and emptied and cleaned tank. Filled it with new RO based water ammonia zero. so in one week is right back to before. It was suggested that I use prime. I got some off amazon, but a little worried about what it will do to the fish? Advise?

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a great answer but:
For HTTM (tank transfer method), I add Prime after 2 days just because I've seen it suggested,,, then tank transfer after 3 days (day 4).

Not sure if it actually does anything but I haven't seen any "issues" (for fish) with it.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its fish safe. It will do nothing for ammonia. There are threads on it and yes I know I have read the bottle too and used it in the past. I was shocked to see this info when a came back a little over a year ago.

OP
OP
Freenow54

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its fish safe. It will do nothing for ammonia. There are threads on it and yes I know I have read the bottle too and used it in the past. I was shocked to see this info when a came back a little over a year ago.
Apparently it converts it so your media can remove it easier. Don't know that's why I asked

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently it converts it so your media can remove it easier.
No it does nothing for ammonia read the thread. Multiple tests were done. Seachem states it binds it so it doesnt affect fish. I am not a chemist but some of those involved in the tests are so I dont know how one tests for such a thing. I mean is it still able to show on a test and not harm fish? I dont know but testing shows ammonia is not changed with use of Prime.

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it does nothing for ammonia read the thread. Multiple tests were done. Seachem states it binds it so it doesnt affect fish. I am not a chemist but some of those involved in the tests are so I dont know how one tests for such a thing. I mean is it still able to show on a test and not harm fish? I dont know but testing shows ammonia is not changed with use of Prime.
Sshhhhh Careful randy will come in here and make us all fall asleep with science talk.

OP
OP
Freenow54

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good. Need a solution. To the point after 3 weeks just to put the little guy in my display hoping it wont effect my $$$$$$Tang

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Avoiding the science stuff, Prime is safe and of seemingly no value in dealing with ammonia. I would not use it even if I already had it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what should be the approach?

Reduce ammonia by water change in emergency, or by adding bacteria when time permits.

0.5 ppm is not an emergency.

OP
OP
Freenow54

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Thanks' for the advice. Will get the bacteria tomorrow. As to whether it was an emergency or not. I don't know what level it gets to before it is considered one. Let me know. If it isn't zero as far as I am concerned its time to ask for advice after trying major water changes with no change

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Thanks' for the advice. Will get the bacteria tomorrow. As to whether it was an emergency or not. I don't know what level it gets to before it is considered one. Let me know. If it isn't zero as far as I am concerned its time to ask for advice after trying major water changes with no change
0.05 ppm free (not total) ammonia is what I remember being the point where gill irritation and damage can occur. Lethal amounts are much higher.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please explain the difference
Irritation means causing damage to the gill tissue which may or may not heal. The fish will live many days with this exposure. Could leave the fish weak and sensitive to disease later after exposure to ammonia ends.

Lethal is the fish dying within a short period of exposure, like hours to a day.

OP
OP
Freenow54

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Irritation means causing damage to the gill tissue which may or may not heal. The fish will live many days with this exposure. Could leave the fish weak and sensitive to disease later after exposure to ammonia ends.

Lethal is the fish dying within a short period of exposure, like hours to a day.
Sorry I meant free ammonia as to total

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back