Probe reading problems GHL AND NEPTUNE

elcapitan1993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I’m in the middle of switching from Neptune to Ghl and currently both are set up on my tank, but the probes are reading way differently the ph and orp probes to be exact, I went through and calibrated wash brown for each system and double checked with new calibration solution to make sure they were reading properly, but my GHL ph probe says 8.56 and my Neptune ph probe says 8.31 but when I put either probe in calibration solution it reads 7 for 7 and as for the orp probes they are both reading 220 my in the calibration solution but in my tank GHL is reading 150 and Neptune 230, the temperature and salinity probes are fairly close so it’s just those two, what would be causing this? And witch one should I trust? I don’t want to trust the wrong one but also if my ph is really that high I would like to fix that

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old are the probes? If they are new then wait 2-3 days with them in the tank and recalibrate. Another test would be to check them using a glass of tank water and place the probe in the glass and see if the reading is different. If it is you may have some king of interference in the tank water.

OP
OP
E

elcapitan1993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How old are the probes? If they are new then wait 2-3 days with them in the tank and recalibrate. Another test would be to check them using a glass of tank water and place the probe in the glass and see if the reading is different. If it is you may have some king of interference in the tank water.
Yeah they are new just opened and calibrated today, I will give that a try thank you

OP
OP
E

elcapitan1993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So if I plug my Neptune ph probe into my Ghl it reads within the range it should so im guessing I got a messed up ph probe, I also checked the orp/redox probe by switching it to my Neptune apex probe and that also fixed the issue so 2 out of 4 probes I received in my profilux 4 are defective ? Because I know calibration actually calibrates the system not the actual probe

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I plug my Neptune ph probe into my Ghl it reads within the range it should so im guessing I got a messed up ph probe, I also checked the orp/redox probe by switching it to my Neptune apex probe and that also fixed the issue so 2 out of 4 probes I received in my profilux 4 are defective ? Because I know calibration actually calibrates the system not the actual probe
The calibration calibrates the system to the probe that is connected. No 2 probes are exactly the same. If you switch them you need to recalibrate the system. Also new probes take a while to acclimate. They are stored with a solution that is around a pH of 4. They do have glass in the tip and are easily damaged during shipment but usually if that is the case broken glass would be in the storage cap when removed. Usually if they are broken they will not calibrate at all. If the Neptune probes calibrate and read correctly on the GHL that tells you that the GHL is ok. Wait 2-3 days before calibrating a new probes.

OP
OP
E

elcapitan1993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The calibration calibrates the system to the probe that is connected. No 2 probes are exactly the same. If you switch them you need to recalibrate the system. Also new probes take a while to acclimate. They are stored with a solution that is around a pH of 4. They do have glass in the tip and are easily damaged during shipment but usually if that is the case broken glass would be in the storage cap when removed. Usually if they are broken they will not calibrate at all. If the Neptune probes calibrate and read correctly on the GHL that tells you that the GHL is ok. Wait 2-3 days before calibrating a new probes.
I thought maybe it was that but when the GHL probe is plugged in sometimes it dosent even read that a ph probe is there and drops down to 12 ph then it will go back to 8.58 (way off) and it bounces back and forth between these, now I don’t know about you but that seems defective to me, I have never had ANY probe do anything like that, otherwise if this was a normal thing for “break in period” it would be more well
Known right?

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does the probe tip look like? Is the glass ball intact in the tip?

6815FBE0-EFB2-452B-9EED-264A3BC1FAF6.jpeg

OP
OP
E

elcapitan1993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What does the probe tip look like? Is the glass ball intact in the tip?

6815FBE0-EFB2-452B-9EED-264A3BC1FAF6.jpeg
I will go and check but I’m pretty sure it was intact, here is a picture of my apex before it was connected and then after, it dosent look like normal probe break in, I currently have my ghl probe on my apex to try and figure this out

4C8A97FC-BC0D-4452-95E3-984ADB3033B0.jpeg

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That doesn't look good. If it is doing it often enough you can try putting it in a glass of tank water and see if the glitches disappear or not. That isolates the probe from any electrical interference that might be occurring in the tank. PH and ORP probes can be very sensitive to that since the voltages delt with in the probes is in the millivolt range. If it is the probe you can contact the place where you purchased the unit and see if they will exchange them for you.

OP
OP
E

elcapitan1993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That doesn't look good. If it is doing it often enough you can try putting it in a glass of tank water and see if the glitches disappear or not. That isolates the probe from any electrical interference that might be occurring in the tank. PH and ORP probes can be very sensitive to that since the voltages delt with in the probes is in the millivolt range. If it is the probe you can contact the place where you purchased the unit and see if they will exchange them for you.
Yeah I thought that looked bad lol…… ,I did try doing that and it still jumped around, I even rerouted it to make sure it wasn’t near any wires at all and both the orp and ph are doing this, I will contact the place I purchased the unit from, thank you for all your help I appreciate it

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 34.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back