Profilux 4 loosing WiFi connectivity

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Profilux looses WiFi connectivity about once a month (like at the moment) and I can no longer access it remotely. When this happens, the WiFi router is running fine (all other equipment in the house is connecting fine, phones, tablets, PCs, the TV etc etc).

The router is about 4 meters from the Profilux so that's not the issue, especially as it has no connectivity problem the rest of the time. The light to the right of the word WiFi on the front of the Profilux is a solid green. The word "MyGhl" on the LED screen is blinking on and off.

I ping the myghl.com server and it is up and responding.

Every time this happens, the only way to reestablish connectivity is to turn the Profilux off and then back on again. I hate doing this because of course it shuts down the whole tank while it is doing this.

I don't find this normal at all. So I have two questions:

1. Is there anyway to "reset" the WiFi on the Profilux without turning the whole unit off and then on again?
2. Why would this be happening in the first place?

Inputs welcome!

Just to add: when this happens I can't connect to the Profilux locally using WiFi either... I have to use the USB connector to connect. And when I do this, all the WiFi parameters are correct, nothing has changed...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the bump!

A slight correction: in looking through my logs, this issue occurs every two or three months, not every month as I posted in the first post.

I ended up restarting the Profilux and connectivity was restored.

But it would be great if there was a way to reset only the WiFi on the Profilux to restore the connectivity instead of shutting down the entire system...

@Lasse : as the resident Profilux guru :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:, do you have any ideas?

Thanks!

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I´ll think that it is the communication between router and P4 that of some reason hang. One idea could be to restart the router - can work if they have to associate again - but if it something in the P4 WIFI chip that hang - it will not work. An other way to test is to change the WiFi settings inside the P4 and change it back again (it will force a restart of the WiFi module) - but in that case you need to do an USB connection.

I had this problems a couple of years ago but now - it is rare. Which WiFi firmware do you have - I have 7134. Worth to mention is that in some occasion - I have been able to ping the device but either webinterface or TCP/IP connected GCC had work - need to use USB.

You can find actual firmware here

If you want some tips about how to update - please let me know

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Lasse!

I'll check my WiFi firmware this weekend and see if I have the latest version.

If I do need help to update I'll let you know.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - if you use the webinterface with local connection (I.E. you write your P4 local IP adress in the browser´s address field and following the instructions) - there is a rather easy way to update FW and web interface without using the special tool needed if you have an USB connection. A warning - try to avoid updating file system - if you need that - all WiFi settings must be reintroduced in the communications windows afterwards. If only updating webinterface and/or FW - it is normally not needed. If you do a large FW "jump" - its maybe needed.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I had an old version of the WiFi firmware. I updated to the latest version (7134) and yes, I had to re-enter all the WiFi settings. Thanks for the warning as I took screenshots of the settings so it was easy to re-enter them. Let's see if that fixes the problem.

At the same time I updated the Profilux firmware to the latest version (7.28). I backed up all the Profilux settings and sensor data beforehand and I restored the settings no problem but after restoring the sensor data I still have no historical data, either in the GHL Control Center or in myGHL. :(.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I restored the settings no problem but after restoring the sensor data I still have no historical data, either in the GHL Control Center or in myGHL.
Do you have any sensors connected to an expansion box?

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any sensors connected to an expansion box?

Sincerely Lasse
Yes but I think only one (air temp/humidity). As well as some level sensors (maybe not, I need to check) and 0-10v connections. The pH and temp sensors are connected directly to the Profilux.

But I don't have any historical data from the KH Director either.

After the upgrade, I noticed that I couldn't see the KH Director any more. When I clicked on the system tab in the Control Center, none of the PAB devices were connected so I had to use the "assign devices..." button to re-assign all the devices connected through the PAB interface. But that shouldn't have affected the temp and pH probe (they were the only ones I could see after the update) as they are connected directly to the Profilux.

OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And at the moment the KH Director seems to be taking readings (Status "Ok") but for the "Last valid measurement from" field just says "invalid date".

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I remember right - you need to reassign all PAB devices after an FW update that send back the system into default mode. after that install the backups and sensor data. If you have virtual probes - they must be redone too.

Make a ticket that you lose all of your measurements in the update - I guess there is backups in the cloud

Sincerely Lasse

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Profilux looses WiFi connectivity about once a month (like at the moment) and I can no longer access it remotely. When this happens, the WiFi router is running fine (all other equipment in the house is connecting fine, phones, tablets, PCs, the TV etc etc).

The router is about 4 meters from the Profilux so that's not the issue, especially as it has no connectivity problem the rest of the time. The light to the right of the word WiFi on the front of the Profilux is a solid green. The word "MyGhl" on the LED screen is blinking on and off.

I ping the myghl.com server and it is up and responding.

Every time this happens, the only way to reestablish connectivity is to turn the Profilux off and then back on again. I hate doing this because of course it shuts down the whole tank while it is doing this.

I don't find this normal at all. So I have two questions:

1. Is there anyway to "reset" the WiFi on the Profilux without turning the whole unit off and then on again?
2. Why would this be happening in the first place?

Inputs welcome!

Just to add: when this happens I can't connect to the Profilux locally using WiFi either... I have to use the USB connector to connect. And when I do this, all the WiFi parameters are correct, nothing has changed...
You need to shut everything down every so often to make it disconnect from the router and then reconnect to the router so it gets assigned a fresh ip address otherwise it becomes stale so to speak and will disconnect

Anytime you have a device connected 24 7 it has to be reset every so often for a refresh

Best is once a week

This will happen with any devices that stay connected without interuption

It's pretty common occurrence in the PC world and is normal and most routers its a safety feature that way a devi e has to reconnect and recheck it credentials every so often

Resetting the router should also do this make sure you just unplug it and wait 10 to 30 sec then plug it back in don't hit the little reset pin your errace your setting and have to have it setup again

I'm a tech guy hardware mostly

OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to shut everything down every so often to make it disconnect from the router and then reconnect to the router so it gets assigned a fresh ip address otherwise it becomes stale so to speak and will disconnect

Anytime you have a device connected 24 7 it has to be reset every so often for a refresh

Best is once a week

This will happen with any devices that stay connected without interuption

It's pretty common occurrence in the PC world and is normal and most routers its a safety feature that way a devi e has to reconnect and recheck it credentials every so often

Resetting the router should also do this make sure you just unplug it and wait 10 to 30 sec then plug it back in don't hit the little reset pin your errace your setting and have to have it setup again

I'm a tech guy hardware mostly

Yes, that is my experience as well in general with connectivity (I'm in telecoms)... but the majority of devices I work with that are connected 24/7 do not randomly loose their connectivity. And in this case it is not the router loosing the connection but the Profilux.

Thanks for the input though, it all helps. Let's see if the upgrade of the firmware on the WiFi module of the Profilux makes a difference!

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that is my experience as well in general with connectivity (I'm in telecoms)... but the majority of devices I work with that are connected 24/7 do not randomly loose their connectivity. And in this case it is not the router loosing the connection but the Profilux.

Thanks for the input though, it all helps. Let's see if the upgrade of the firmware on the WiFi module of the Profilux makes a difference!
Hopefully the update fixes it I'm following cyz I'm about to order one and if it's one the profilux side of things then I have no idea

Just no one mentioned it so I figured I'd bring it up it a problem with the router I have

Somthing very similar happens with the switch my tablet and my tvs gotta refresh the ip every week otherwise eventually it'll do this exact thing

This is not the first one iv had that needed a weekly reset otherwise it'll drop a connection and not alow it to reconnect without a reset

You may ha e intermittent interference causing a split second drop between the 2 and after so many times it won't alow it to reconnect without a refresh

This is what happens to me

In my case it's actually the sun commjng in the window in between 430 and 530 mid spring to mid fall that causes the interference took awhile to figure that one out still not sure exactly why tho somthing to do with the atmosphere in out area letting to much radiation threw

Also why I know for a fact global warming is real

Everything 2.4 in that room freaks out wireless controllers WiFi etc enless its cloudy

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

On a side note other then this problem you have got does the unit work

I'm in the market wife will let me spend up to 2500 more on my biocube 32

I know I want a controller and a auto testing and dosing system

I'll manage the equipment which I'm good at and let it manage my tank otherwise I get busy and stop testing everyday

Was not an issue untill I decided to go sps heavy was all soft with 2 lps so water changes alone was fine and have been for 2 years but

while yes its most likely fine for a bit I'd rather start testing now and dial in the system before I need it to start dosing

I honestly can not tell you the exact parameters since I have not tested the water in just under 2 years(once threw cycle)

Didn't need to as been doing this long enoff to know softys

But I also know sps and I know for a fact in 6 months time I'll need a doser to maintain alk and in a years and a half time cal as that's when things will be to big for the 25 gallons I have

And if I add the frogspawn and clam here soon I'll need a mag doser in about a year from now

Thank you for anything you can provide as I only want to buy 1 time

Stuck between apex and ghl right now

Mastertronic and Alkatronic are wayyyyy to loud wife would put me outside with the tank

I know the dos pumps are loud but u can baffle them inside a cabinet the trident not to bad

But I really really like the way everything is with ghl it's just so clean looking I could get away with that being out in the open and sound wise it's not to bad

I also like you can run 1 test a day if u want

I plan to run 2 a day

1 while wife sleeps and 1 while at work hehe

1650059679709777016779745778108.jpg

OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a side note other then this problem you have got does the unit work

I'm in the market wife will let me spend up to 2500 more on my biocube 32

I know I want a controller and a auto testing and dosing system

I'll manage the equipment which I'm good at and let it manage my tank otherwise I get busy and stop testing everyday

Was not an issue untill I decided to go sps heavy was all soft with 2 lps so water changes alone was fine and have been for 2 years but

while yes its most likely fine for a bit I'd rather start testing now and dial in the system before I need it to start dosing

I honestly can not tell you the exact parameters since I have not tested the water in just under 2 years(once threw cycle)

Didn't need to as been doing this long enoff to know softys

But I also know sps and I know for a fact in 6 months time I'll need a doser to maintain alk and in a years and a half time cal as that's when things will be to big for the 25 gallons I have

And if I add the frogspawn and clam here soon I'll need a mag doser in about a year from now

Thank you for anything you can provide as I only want to buy 1 time

Stuck between apex and ghl right now

Mastertronic and Alkatronic are wayyyyy to loud wife would put me outside with the tank

I know the dos pumps are loud but u can baffle them inside a cabinet the trident not to bad

But I really really like the way everything is with ghl it's just so clean looking I could get away with that being out in the open and sound wise it's not to bad

I also like you can run 1 test a day if u want

I plan to run 2 a day

1 while wife sleeps and 1 while at work hehe

1650059679709777016779745778108.jpg

First I need to note that I have zero experience with the Neptune Apex system but I do know a reefer around here who uses it and I haven't heard him complain.

But I do have about three years experience with the GHL Profilux system and I love it. I also run the GHL KH Director for monitoring and controlling carbonate dosing. I have received the GHL ION Director but yet to install it as I'll need some major rewiring to do at the same time to install another couple of the GHL Switchbars. Once that is installed the ION Director will also monitor (and control once I'm satisfied with it's testing ability) Calcium. The ION Director also tests (and can control) Potassium, Sodium, Magnesium and Nitrate. Not sure of the utility of constant measurement of Potassium and Sodium but its part of the package.

The GHL Dosers (version 2.1) are accurate and totally silent as long as you maintain them correctly. Don't bother with the GHL Maxi doser: it's only required for large continuous dosing but they are noisy! I almost got one for my AWC system but then a fellow reefer here warned me of the noise so I got a Spectrapure setup for AWC instead.

The Profilux 4 is an amazing piece of equipment and it's capabilities seem to be limitless, especially when you really dig deep into how it works and what it can do. Most of the control and monitoring capabilities of the Profilux 4 are easy to setup but if you dig into the programming possibilities it can do so much more. I haven't yet dug that deep into that side of it: as usual, a lack of time!

Like I said, I cannot comment or compare with the Neptune Apex as I've never used it. But I am very happy with the Profilux system.

Hope that helps!

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First I need to note that I have zero experience with the Neptune Apex system but I do know a reefer around here who uses it and I haven't heard him complain.

But I do have about three years experience with the GHL Profilux system and I love it. I also run the GHL KH Director for monitoring and controlling carbonate dosing. I have received the GHL ION Director but yet to install it as I'll need some major rewiring to do at the same time to install another couple of the GHL Switchbars. Once that is installed the ION Director will also monitor (and control once I'm satisfied with it's testing ability) Calcium. The ION Director also tests (and can control) Potassium, Sodium, Magnesium and Nitrate. Not sure of the utility of constant measurement of Potassium and Sodium but its part of the package.

The GHL Dosers (version 2.1) are accurate and totally silent as long as you maintain them correctly. Don't bother with the GHL Maxi doser: it's only required for large continuous dosing but they are noisy! I almost got one for my AWC system but then a fellow reefer here warned me of the noise so I got a Spectrapure setup for AWC instead.

The Profilux 4 is an amazing piece of equipment and it's capabilities seem to be limitless, especially when you really dig deep into how it works and what it can do. Most of the control and monitoring capabilities of the Profilux 4 are easy to setup but if you dig into the programming possibilities it can do so much more. I haven't yet dug that deep into that side of it: as usual, a lack of time!

Like I said, I cannot comment or compare with the Neptune Apex as I've never used it. But I am very happy with the Profilux system.

Hope that helps!
Very much exactly what I had hope for

Was a long term user using the system for pretty much exactly what I want to do

I need it to be pretty accurate cuz 25 gallons of water is not much

Iv been leaning ghl cuz of the
footprint
Features I like the dosing curve and an error correct and an this is to much don't exceed option add alot of safety

I like I can install it below tank

I'll run a wired ethernet to it so I don't need to worrie about drop out

you told me exactly what i needed to know

With proper maintenance and proper calibration it will run for years

Exactly what i want and need

It's blue so that's a bonus lol

Making my biocube 32 no sump a robocube over the next year

Huge list of upgrades

But I went all softy to sps dominate as in 7 sps 2 lps gorg planning clam after robocube is running and stable

I'll do the robotics stuff the robot can run my tank as long as I take care of the robo it'll take care of my tank better then I can

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I ask what you do about the sample that's removed do you have a pump return it from a fresh vat or not worrie about it cuz 1 litter is just over 1 percent of my water volume which I will lose everyday due to testing (aprox)

How do you account for salinity shifts as I assume an ato would just add fresh

My thought is a seprate doser pump set to add sample size back to tank on a timer 5 minutes after its taken so it won't affect the sample

Thoughts or what you do

I worrie that if not timed right in 2 weeks between water changes thus small adjustments the salinity will be way off

Right now manually I add and it shifts between 26 and 28 with 1.027 as the set goal never below never above

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back