Profilux 4 loosing WiFi connectivity

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some facts - the first Profilux computer was introduced around 1998 - the apex classic 2009 ( the same year i bought my first Profilux 2 computer). In the same year GHL introduce Profilux 3 It was backwards compatible with all equipment from P2 but introduce a new communication BUS that make all new equipment's not compatible with P2. P4 was introduced 2016 (same year as the newest Apex). Total backwards compatible and - till now at least - all new equipment's are compatible with both P3.x and P4. However the old power bars (and doser 1) with RJ12 connections is not compatible with P4E (have no S-ports)

I´ll will suspect that worldwide - there is a lot of more long-term Profilux user than Apex users . However not in the US.

But As I say in another thread - get you a P3.x if you want to hardwire your equipment or move forward and buy an Apex

Sincerely Lasse
Lasse ... you have a voice with GHL ... tell them to fix the wireless. It is a bug and I can describe it directly. I love their hardware it is seriously top notch, but the wireless issue is a constant problem. I finally gave up on them because of this bug.

Please note ... I do not dislike GHL, I am just questioning their inability to fix a software bug that has been in the product for a long time. I am struggling to find a good doser and I miss theirs because the hardware built like a Mac truck.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please note ... I do not dislike GHL, I am just questioning their inability to fix a software bug that has been in the product for a long time. I am struggling to find a good doser and I miss theirs because the hardware built like a Mac truck.
With their inbuild WiFi in the doser (not the same as in P4, mini WiFi, light WiFi and Mitras 7xxx series) - yes I have had problems in environment with a lot of electric equipment - in these cases - I use the hardwire option of the dosers. With P4 and Mitras 70xx WiFi chip - I have not have any problems with lost connection the last year and with latest FW for the WiFi chip. However it needs a 2.4 GHz source and a good stable signal. It looks like most connecting problems is solved in FW 7134 of the P4/mitras 7xxx/mini/ light chip.

Sincerely Lasse

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lasse the problem I was having was with the WiFi was that it was flooding the router with DHCP requests. I could not correct this by making the GHL use a static address (no need for DHCP lease under this condition). It still sent requests. I just got rid of my equipment about 6 months ago and I had the latest software (including WiFi). I had my wireless split with two different SSIDs because a lot of IOT devices specifically require 2.4.

I would love for them to fix this. I would probably go back to their doser, because it is rock solid. But I have to question why this issue is being ignored for so long. It does seem like they fear the software side and don't spend as many resources there.

My 2 cents.

EDIT: I saw this on the Profilux and the stand alone doser. So my conclusion is that it is across the product line.

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One issue with the trident is that you can’t test just one element. You have to test all three. And I believe you have to test a minimum of 4 times. You can’t do one a day do you really need to test 4 times? Yes ghl has a alk tester and now the ion but I don’t have to test 4 times. I can test once a week if I wanted to. I’m not saying apex is bad. It’s a great system. You get more with ghl once you understand stand it. The probes respond so much better fast and more accurate than apex. Someone did a video doing test side by side can’t remember the name of it. I had my eyes on an apex too. That is until I saw how a ghl worked at my lfs and he also has an apex system. But only one tank on the apex. The rest of the shop is controlled by ghl.
Actually you can see the trident to test whenever you want be it all 3 once a day or once a week

You have to go tonthe ip of tje trident with a _3 and _4 at the end which get you to the trigger code interface

Now you can setup tje triggers for how ever often you like

So trident is fine there was one of the reason I was going ghl till I found it has no hardline

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a bug in the GHL software. They have yet to fix it after many many years. It is best to run the Profllux using a wired connection. I would even go so far as to say get an external wireless access point and run an ethernet cable straight into the controller, and use the access point to connect wirelessly. Yes this is an added expense, but this should solve your issue without having to redo everything. You will not get the wireless to work until they solve the bug in their wireless software.
you can not run a hardline into the 4 or 4e controller by default

And if you connect the 2.1 standalone to the 4 or 4e controller then the 2.1 losses the hardline connection it has leaving you

With either wifi that won't work or fixing their crap to get a hardline in via a pi

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This problem is so old and so widespread its unacceptable they have not either released a fix via a patch or recalled every unit and fixed the hardware whichever it is

This then shows me exactly the type of company I'm dealing with

Yes apex has problems but at least they try and fix them and I see as many if not more over 2 years with apex everything still works perfectly

Except the dos they aparently go out alittle to offten

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some facts - the first Profilux computer was introduced around 1998 - the apex classic 2009 ( the same year i bought my first Profilux 2 computer). In the same year GHL introduce Profilux 3 It was backwards compatible with all equipment from P2 but introduce a new communication BUS that make all new equipment's not compatible with P2. P4 was introduced 2016 (same year as the newest Apex). Total backwards compatible and - till now at least - all new equipment's are compatible with both P3.x and P4. However the old power bars (and doser 1) with RJ12 connections is not compatible with P4E (have no S-ports)

I´ll will suspect that worldwide - there is a lot of more long-term Profilux user than Apex users . However not in the US.

But As I say in another thread - get you a P3.x if you want to hardwire your equipment or move forward and buy an Apex
I am moving forward and buying an apex honestly

I just get real sick of fan boys with any piece of hardware defending it to death even when they know but can't ommit its broken always has been and should of been fixed

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sincerely Lasse
You are correct they are old which then brings up an even bigger concern

They should know better and should of solved this aong time ago

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just get real sick of fan boys with any piece of hardware defending it to death even when they know but can't ommit its broken always has been and should of been fixed
At least - i know of own experiences what I´m talking about - I have a long experience of GHL devices and for me - it works flawless - nema problema with P4 and WiFi connection.

Sincerely Lasse

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least - i know of own experiences what I´m talking about - I have a long experience of GHL devices and for me - it works flawless - nema problema with P4 and WiFi connection.

Sincerely Lasse
I am very very glad it works for you

You are 2 of 51 people I have now personally talked to with these units that have not had a problem

I hioe it continues to work for you and I hope your reef is the better for it

I'm glad your happy with the product

But from what I see you got one of the exceptions to the rule not what represents the majority of the units

I have never ever disagreed they work from my understanding really well

But the wifi being broken and them having 0 support or them not fixing an obvious problem leads me to belive 1 of 2 things

Either the company has no money to use for coders thus no updates or they just don't care they got your money and that's that

I would of gotten ghl if they alowed a hardline into the flagship unit by defult to bypass the wifi problem but they dont

They removed this to save manufacturing costs no other reason to remove a function that many people will use on the flagship model

I don't use wifi for most things in my house

A hardline will always have a better ping and I game so ping matters to me

I have a 32 ms ping to anywhere in Europe and a 14ms ping within the US

I really do hope that it continues to work for you

Good luck and happy reefing

OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys and gals... this was NOT meant to be this type of discussion of argument and, to put it honestly, quite a bit of unnecessary... what can I call it... anger and seemingly frustration. With what exactly I don't know!

All I wanted to know was whether anyone had found a solution for a very occasional issue I had with a piece of equipment. I can't believe that it has turned into this!!??

Tankkeepers: you have put forward your point of view... again... and again... and again.

And you have contributed basically zero input into how I could solve the issue I was occasionally having besides the decision you have made to go with Apex as your choice. Good! Go for the Apex solution which I'm sure will give you the capabilities you are looking for.

Can I ask a moderator to close this thread please?

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to shut everything down every so often to make it disconnect from the router and then reconnect to the router so it gets assigned a fresh ip address otherwise it becomes stale so to speak and will disconnect

Anytime you have a device connected 24 7 it has to be reset every so often for a refresh

Best is once a week

This will happen with any devices that stay connected without interuption

It's pretty common occurrence in the PC world and is normal and most routers its a safety feature that way a devi e has to reconnect and recheck it credentials every so often

Resetting the router should also do this make sure you just unplug it and wait 10 to 30 sec then plug it back in don't hit the little reset pin your errace your setting and have to have it setup again

I'm a tech guy hardware mostly

On a side note other then this problem you have got does the unit work

I'm in the market wife will let me spend up to 2500 more on my biocube 32

I know I want a controller and a auto testing and dosing system

I'll manage the equipment which I'm good at and let it manage my tank otherwise I get busy and stop testing everyday

Was not an issue untill I decided to go sps heavy was all soft with 2 lps so water changes alone was fine and have been for 2 years but

while yes its most likely fine for a bit I'd rather start testing now and dial in the system before I need it to start dosing

I honestly can not tell you the exact parameters since I have not tested the water in just under 2 years(once threw cycle)

Didn't need to as been doing this long enoff to know softys

But I also know sps and I know for a fact in 6 months time I'll need a doser to maintain alk and in a years and a half time cal as that's when things will be to big for the 25 gallons I have

And if I add the frogspawn and clam here soon I'll need a mag doser in about a year from now

Thank you for anything you can provide as I only want to buy 1 time

Stuck between apex and ghl right now

Mastertronic and Alkatronic are wayyyyy to loud wife would put me outside with the tank

I know the dos pumps are loud but u can baffle them inside a cabinet the trident not to bad

But I really really like the way everything is with ghl it's just so clean looking I could get away with that being out in the open and sound wise it's not to bad

I also like you can run 1 test a day if u want

I plan to run 2 a day

1 while wife sleeps and 1 while at work hehe

1650059679709777016779745778108.jpg
I tried to help then asked a question

Then I got attacked by ghl people sry for taking over but the way they came after me not ok

I 100 percent agree this turned into hate and arguing when it should not of I am partially to blame and I truly am sry for this

I am not on here to cause problems

I'm on here to learn things I do not know which is alot

And share the things I do know and have learned in 12 years

memphissfinest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So…….

Was a fix for this ever found? I lose connectivity to my Profilux 4 about every 2 days. Only way to fix is to reboot the P4. VERY annoying.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FW for the WiFi chip and for the P4. I have not seen tis since WiFi FW 7134. You find your version here

1672135585179.png

Do you have a mesh network?

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

darcy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good day, I'm having the same issue but my wifi module firmware is 7141, I did the firmware upgrade and my Profilux is on firmware 7.32 and says it's up-to-date any way just to update the wifi module?

SFREEF3R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a mesh network?

@Lasse Do you have a special recommendation for mesh network users? I have a mesh network. I’m not sure if that is part of my issue.

I use a Profilux 4 and like the OP I lose my wifi connection periodically and need to power cycle the device to get the connection back.

Strangely I almost always cannot access on my local network. It works right after I reboot most of the time, but regularly stops working. So I use the web connection most of the time because it it a pain to wait for the local connection attempt to time out - faster to just always use the web connection even though it is painfully slow.

With regularity the web connection also stops working and then I reboot.

Unfortunately this time I’m out of town and I can’t connect. I had someone power cycle several times and still no connection. I can remote login to my router and see that it isn’t connected. Strangely, the Profilux local network shows up but they were unable to login to it (fails every time after entering the password).

I can’t check the wifi version as I’m not there but will need to connect by USB I assume to debug.

I hope my wifi chip hasn’t gone bad. This seems different than previous issues as it won’t connect at all.

SFREEF3R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a last ditch effort I rebooted my router (something I realized I can do remotely) and was able to get it back on. It has a static IP assigned so shouldn’t have other devices competing, but it resolved the issue this time. I use an Orbi RBR850 with 1x Satellite in close proximity to my tank. I’m not sure if this is the same root cause as the intermittent access issues I’ve experienced previously as those have always been resolved by power cycling the Profilux.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mesh net seems still be problematic. Some people have solved it by installing a new cheap 2.4 GHz wifi router on The network.

However - slow loading of the local (internal) web server seems to be more a GHL problem. I'll think this will be solved in the next update of the Wifi FW and webserver interface.

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... It has a static IP assigned...
Curious, is the static IP set in the Profilux or your router?

I don't have a mesh, but set the static IPs in my router. The Profilux obtains the IP from the router. Haven't had any connection issues with it this way.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 33 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back