Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI - Profilux 4 has no RJ45 contact for wired ethernet - only WiFi

Sincerely Lasse
You are correct

But if my understanding of the system is correct

Might not be

Is I can daisy chain them all together as 1 system and I guess I assumed that I could use the rj45 port on the 2.1 doser to give internet to the entire system

Was this wrong does each device need its own connection?

If so what exactly is the point of connecting them together

The tutorial I wayched had the kh director and 2.1 together on a wired internet from the 2 1 pump

They guy ran a repeater inside his cabet for wifi and then hardwire from there to the 2.1 cuz they have a habit of losing connection

I was just gunna run a hardwire from router to tank same room already have a path for speaker wire ill use

I assumed I could add the 4e and the ion director and 2 more 2.1 pumps to the chain and they'd pull internet from the wired 2.1

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is I can daisy chain them all together as 1 system and I guess I assumed that I could use the rj45 port on the 2.1 doser to give internet to the entire system
The RJ45 ports at all modern GHL devices have nothing to do with ethernet (excluding Profilux 3, Doser 2 and 2,1 Stand Alone that have own wired ethernet connections, Bold - if you should do a Doser 2.x SA unit to talk to a profilux computer you must change this SA to be a slave unit. However if you make a SA doser to a slave - you can´t use the ethernet port).

GHL use these standard ports for their own communication protocol - PAB. If you connect them to ethernet - you will be in trouble for sure. Once again - these ports PAB ports - even if they are RJ45 have nothing to do with ethernet. They are for GHL own communication protocol. If you connect PAB ports to ethernet - you can damage the equipment and even your own wired Ethernet. Trust me - I spent a whole day to figure out why our router got totally crazy - was on my way to buy a new router when I ask my son when the trouble started. Directly after I plug in that cable he said showing me a connection between Profilux PAB and ethernet.

Sincerely Lasse

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The RJ45 ports at all modern GHL devices have nothing to do with ethernet (excluding Profilux 3, Doser 2 and 2,1 Stand Alone that have own wired ethernet connections, Bold - if you should do a Doser 2.x SA unit to talk to a profilux computer you must change this SA to be a slave unit. However if you make a SA doser to a slave - you can´t use the ethernet port).

GHL use these standard ports for their own communication protocol - PAB. If you connect them to ethernet - you will be in trouble for sure. Once again - these ports PAB ports - even if they are RJ45 have nothing to do with ethernet. They are for GHL own communication protocol. If you connect PAB ports to ethernet - you can damage the equipment and even your own wired Ethernet. Trust me - I spent a whole day to figure out why our router got totally crazy - was on my way to buy a new router when I ask my son when the trouble started. Directly after I plug in that cable he said showing me a connection between Profilux PAB and ethernet.

Sincerely Lasse
Well that's kinda of a huge oversight on their part

Hmmm now I don't know about ghl the entire system is really nice but it losing connection is kinda a deal break what's the point of remote control if I can't use it

Entire reason I'm spend 2500 on a 32 so I can leave for a week or more at a time and have it take care of everything

I guess the kh and doser ion director and 2 dosers and 4e would then have to all be seprate with the kh and ion on hardwire and the controller on wireless then but that kinda defets the purpose

Hmmm

And your absolutely right the 4 or 4e has no wired connection for 700 and 900 that's kinda of huge oversight especially since the wifi is crap in these units

Leaves me questioning the build of the rest now

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sincerely Lasse
Sry to bother you again

I see it can be connected and monitored via a pc

So my thoughts are installing a dedicated laptop as the user interface and then remoting into the laptop for control is thos viable

I also see the raspberry pi method but that looks like it does not give any of the reporting

My understanding the wifi card handles the reporting etc

But will it send that info to threw the usb to a laptop while connected

If this will work it'll also give me a nice user interface at the system for about the same price as the touch screen panel they sell

Also it looks like it would still run on auto without a wifi connection I'd just lose the ability to control anything untill I got home if it dried while away is this correct

And most likely wouldn't be a problem as long as it's still recording and will refresh once it is turned off and back on to reconnect

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or it sounds like running wired to ion and kh and controler separately that way if the controller drips out I still have control of the units might be viable

It also sounds like you have experience with these units how often do you have to reconnect it or not at all once setup

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I guess I'll go with the apex controller then and more then likely the trident as I would like it all to be the same system

Not having a wired connection at 700 dollars is kinda a deal breaker for me on the controller

I may still look at the ghl kh director and ion director but I'll pass on the controller

GHL JUST LOST A 1000 OR MORE DOLLAR SALE THIS WEEK

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ghl cost 3200 4e
apex trident cost 1900 both do the exact thing I need alk and cal control

The cheaper one has a wired Lan connection and pretty much the same futures with a better web interface

Funny that a 1 dollar part and some software is losing them 1000s of dollars in sales

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With Profilux 4 and latest FW for controller and WiFi chip - I have had no connection problems at all for several years. It not like mesh systems - I run it on a dedicated 2.4 GHz guest network from my WiFi (ASUS Blue Cave).

It is possible to run it through the USB connection and the GCC program but you will not have access to some of the features in the cloud - like the new better graphs and the logbook.

You can use a P4 as your brain in the system and connect alla other devices to this brain - but if so - you need to rely - as many of us - to the WiFi connection if you want cloud connection and connection outside your own network.

Or if you can´t live with a WiFi connection - you can connect both a KH director, ION director and up to 3 four head doser 2.x slave units to one Doser 2.x stand alone with possibilities both for WiFi and hard wire after your own chose. You will have up to 16 dose heads in this case.

Here is a setup with one Doser 2.1 SA, 1 doser 2.1 Slave, a KH director and an ION director and it is hard wired into ethernet. (its from my job)

1650137875903.png

At home - I have a very automated system with a lot of functions for a P4 - everything managed by a P4 and WiFi. I do not know anything about different competitors but I would personally never switch out my system

1650138341322.png

1650138508016.png

Sincerely Lasse

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With Profilux 4 and latest FW for controller and WiFi chip - I have had no connection problems at all for several years. It not like mesh systems - I run it on a dedicated 2.4 GHz guest network from my WiFi (ASUS Blue Cave).

It is possible to run it through the USB connection and the GCC program but you will not have access to some of the features in the cloud - like the new better graphs and the logbook.

You can use a P4 as your brain in the system and connect alla other devices to this brain - but if so - you need to rely - as many of us - to the WiFi connection if you want cloud connection and connection outside your own network.

Or if you can´t live with a WiFi connection - you can connect both a KH director, ION director and up to 3 four head doser 2.x slave units to one Doser 2.x stand alone with possibilities both for WiFi and hard wire after your own chose. You will have up to 16 dose heads in this case.

Here is a setup with one Doser 2.1 SA, 1 doser 2.1 Slave, a KH director and an ION director and it is hard wired into ethernet. (its from my job)

1650137875903.png

At home - I have a very automated system with a lot of functions for a P4 - everything managed by a P4 and WiFi. I do not know anything about different competitors but I would personally never switch out my system

1650138341322.png

1650138508016.png

Sincerely Lasse
Thank you for this I was about ready to go ghl

But this know wifi issue seems to be way to common

I leave for a month at a time so I have to have somthing dependable that I can remotely adjust

So it cutting out not going to work

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm leaning apex at this point

All have some problems yes but this one is way to common

And from what I have gather it's software

It overloads the router with requests and forces a disconnect basically trips up the hardware and cause a fault

Some seem to be worse then other I'm guess router dependent

And I really want 1 system that way it's nice and clean when viewing all the stats

If it was not for this 1 issue I'd be ghl but at this point I'm leaning apex

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why exactly would that be I honestly want to know

If there's some reason not to go apex then why exactly has all the same features as ghl that I need

Cost is not a concern only that i can remotly contol the unit and that its dependable as long as maintained

apex has safety built in to prevent over dosing etc so i dont see any problem there

There are alot more long term apex users then ghl

And i will point out way to many people say the exact same thing about ghl

youll be sry about ghl go apex

All depends on who you talk to fan boys are fan boys

I don't care what system I care that it does what I want and right now apex does ghl does not

From what I can tell as long as you calibrate the trident once a month and verify it its all good long term with a 6 month to 1 year break down and replace a few things service time

Along as I'm able to check it remotely and get alerts on my phone I'll see a bad test and shut whatever going on off till I get home

Every single system on the market has had someone somewhere have it go real bad and kill everything but those are not to common for any company

And usually is the user not maintaining the system

Don't replace stuff when it breaks replace it before it does on a secedule

Just like I do the water pump and timing belt on my pt cruiser ever 100000 miles as it'll go bad sometime after that might be 5000 might be 25000 more but it's good for 100000 so just replace it when worn not broken and no problems

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really really do want the best system I was
100 percent going ghl over apex untill I found out that you can not by default connect it to the internet via a hardwire

Remote control is the entire reason I'm buying the system otherwise I'd just do it myself by hand

I may not even let the trident control dosing idk I may manually control it and adjust based on reading from trident and manual tests when home

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are alot more long term apex users then ghl
Some facts - the first Profilux computer was introduced around 1998 - the apex classic 2009 ( the same year i bought my first Profilux 2 computer). In the same year GHL introduce Profilux 3 It was backwards compatible with all equipment from P2 but introduce a new communication BUS that make all new equipment's not compatible with P2. P4 was introduced 2016 (same year as the newest Apex). Total backwards compatible and - till now at least - all new equipment's are compatible with both P3.x and P4. However the old power bars (and doser 1) with RJ12 connections is not compatible with P4E (have no S-ports)

I´ll will suspect that worldwide - there is a lot of more long-term Profilux user than Apex users . However not in the US.

But As I say in another thread - get you a P3.x if you want to hardwire your equipment or move forward and buy an Apex

Sincerely Lasse

Not an IT guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really really do want the best system I was
100 percent going ghl over apex untill I found out that you can not by default connect it to the internet via a hardwire

Remote control is the entire reason I'm buying the system otherwise I'd just do it myself by hand

I may not even let the trident control dosing idk I may manually control it and adjust based on reading from trident and manual tests when home
One issue with the trident is that you can’t test just one element. You have to test all three. And I believe you have to test a minimum of 4 times. You can’t do one a day do you really need to test 4 times? Yes ghl has a alk tester and now the ion but I don’t have to test 4 times. I can test once a week if I wanted to. I’m not saying apex is bad. It’s a great system. You get more with ghl once you understand stand it. The probes respond so much better fast and more accurate than apex. Someone did a video doing test side by side can’t remember the name of it. I had my eyes on an apex too. That is until I saw how a ghl worked at my lfs and he also has an apex system. But only one tank on the apex. The rest of the shop is controlled by ghl.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Profilux looses WiFi connectivity about once a month (like at the moment) and I can no longer access it remotely. When this happens, the WiFi router is running fine (all other equipment in the house is connecting fine, phones, tablets, PCs, the TV etc etc).

The router is about 4 meters from the Profilux so that's not the issue, especially as it has no connectivity problem the rest of the time. The light to the right of the word WiFi on the front of the Profilux is a solid green. The word "MyGhl" on the LED screen is blinking on and off.

I ping the myghl.com server and it is up and responding.

Every time this happens, the only way to reestablish connectivity is to turn the Profilux off and then back on again. I hate doing this because of course it shuts down the whole tank while it is doing this.

I don't find this normal at all. So I have two questions:

1. Is there anyway to "reset" the WiFi on the Profilux without turning the whole unit off and then on again?
2. Why would this be happening in the first place?

Inputs welcome!

Just to add: when this happens I can't connect to the Profilux locally using WiFi either... I have to use the USB connector to connect. And when I do this, all the WiFi parameters are correct, nothing has changed...
This is a bug in the GHL software. They have yet to fix it after many many years. It is best to run the Profllux using a wired connection. I would even go so far as to say get an external wireless access point and run an ethernet cable straight into the controller, and use the access point to connect wirelessly. Yes this is an added expense, but this should solve your issue without having to redo everything. You will not get the wireless to work until they solve the bug in their wireless software.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back